• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to sit at Epcot?

We always head down toward the International Gateway (the "back door" to EPCOT) and find a bench down there.

Of course if you liked the fish at Yorkshire you now have a different problem. The cod they always used to use has been replaced by tilapia which is a tasteless fish. You can still get the cod if you eat table service at the Rose & Crown
Where did you hear this?

During the last Food & Wine Festival, I was able to find a thin railing to sit against near Morocco. A kind stranger offered to share half of a trash can top so I didn't have to juggle my beer and kabob at the same time. The can was scorching hot, and our meal was awkwardly interrupted a few times by people wanting to discard items. But it was a good day.

A few years ago we got fish and chips and headed toward the seating area near the counter that everyone here is talking about. There were two CM’s standing there guarding it and not letting anyone in. Every other time we had gotten fish and chips we had eaten there with no problem. I asked them where we should sit if we couldn’t sit there, and they very snottily told me that there were no tables guaranteed for any of the counter service restaurants and we should just be prepared to stand. I was so shocked at their attitudes and rudeness that I just walked away. I really wish I had talked to Guest Services about it at the time, but I just told myself that they were just having a bad day and tried to let it go. But I am still annoyed about it years later. LOL I think we ended up sitting on a bench in the UK pavilion. Either that or the curb. We haven’t gotten fish and chips since then either.
Was it "late afternoon/early evening"?

They do close that area off quite often(both the Lower Terrace(Lochside) and/or the Upper Terrace("Umbrella tables"))for Receptions and other events that culminate with IllumiNations viewing.:)

The CMs should have just respectfully explained that and told you to check the seating area on the "other side" of R&C.

The lack of seating is intentional. It drives people to TS restaurants and forces people to walk around and spend money, rather than camped out on a bench.

Even if that is the case, then I still say a few high tops for eating. Especially during festivals.
Keeps people from sitting (camping out) but gives them some place other than a trash can to balance food.
FTR, I think they shouldn't fear bench players that much. People pay so much money to get it that most are not going to sit all day and not get their money's worth. In fact, they could keep me in the park longer, if I had the chance to sit for a few minutes now and then. IF I am tired of being on my feet by 7pm, and don't have an ADR, I am going back to my room. Once there I will be eating a sandwich instead of spending more money in the park.

This.

Over the years, much of the seating (mostly benches) has been removed from all the parks. Sitting people do not spend money, unless they are shopping ShopDisney.com
If they do subscribe to that philosophy then they are bigger idiots then most give them credit. My feet get sore. I get to the point where walking and standing all the time is very painful. I leave the parks, I do not buy anything, I leave. Many do the same thing, I'm sure. However, I've had that experience at the Fish and Chips location of having to stand at a trash can to eat and quite frankly I will never spend another dime at that location or any other in WDW that has that modus operandi. I'm sure it won't take long for the accountants to count the money that I haven't spent.

Even if that is the case, then I still say a few high tops for eating. Especially during festivals.
Keeps people from sitting (camping out) but gives them some place other than a trash can to balance food.
FTR, I think they shouldn't fear bench players that much. People pay so much money to get it that most are not going to sit all day and not get their money's worth. In fact, they could keep me in the park longer, if I had the chance to sit for a few minutes now and then. IF I am tired of being on my feet by 7pm, and don't have an ADR, I am going back to my room. Once there I will be eating a sandwich instead of spending more money in the park.

If they do subscribe to that philosophy then they are bigger idiots then most give them credit. My feet get sore. I get to the point where walking and standing all the time is very painful. I leave the parks, I do not buy anything, I leave. Many do the same thing, I'm sure. However, I've had that experience at the Fish and Chips location of having to stand at a trash can to eat and quite frankly I will never spend another dime at that location or any other in WDW that has that modus operandi. I'm sure it won't take long for the accountants to count the money that I haven't spent.

I don't disagree with either of you. I wouldn't mind additional seating myself. But from the corporate perspective, benches and high top tables drive people to sit for longer and as mentioned, those people are not spending money. It also may promote more people bringing their own food in which, even though its permitted, is not what Disney wants. And FWIW, during Food & Wine at least, they do place a few high top tables around but they are standing only. No high top chairs.

I don't disagree with either of you. I wouldn't mind additional seating myself. But from the corporate perspective, benches and high top tables drive people to sit for longer and as mentioned, those people are not spending money. It also may promote more people bringing their own food in which, even though its permitted, is not what Disney wants. And FWIW, during Food & Wine at least, they do place a few high top tables around but they are standing only. No high top chairs.
I think that is true in many instances but, if I just spent nearly $100. to get into a theme park I am going to sit long enough to rest the body and then be on my way. I can sit at home for free. Even the stand up tables would be a help at the small walk up food places. Someplace to put my food other then a garbage can. If anyone wants to get on the bandwagon about BAD SHOW that would be a really good place to start. Everyone is overly upset about a possible AA that isn't working and not paying any attention to the much bigger problem. The old bend over to pick up a penny while dollar bills fly overhead. Besides, and maybe this is just me, but, I do not go to WDW to shop.

If I paid to get into a park, that is what I am visiting not the stores. Everything in those is strictly impulse. I don't spend that money to go spend some more. That's like shopping at... well... Costco! If after a long day of being on my feet if any of those rocket scientist think that I am going to wander around a store, they are in serious need of psychiatric help. If I am rested and not hurting anywhere I might spend time in the shops looking around, otherwise I'm out of there. Then I will plan a separate block of time to go to Disney Springs and just do shopping.

Actually that is a lie. Since I stay offsite, I will go to Walmart or Target and get the same stuff for 1/3rd of the price. But, that's just me.

There are benches in the courtyard in the UK where they have entertainment. The courtyard is located behind the tea and perfume shops. It is a shame that they took out a good number of benches throughout the park.

It you are seated you are not spending. Disney wants you up and spending

The lack of seating is intentional. It drives people to TS restaurants and forces people to walk around and spend money, rather than camped out on a bench.

Yeah that's the new model.

You probably aren't the target markets. Seriously this is their view. Sitting people don't spend $$$$.

Sad isn't it

What we are going to see (as we HAVE been seeing) is more and more (and more) guests renting or bringing in ECVs.
That way, they have their own seats with them.

The park congestion is only going to get worse in this regard as one of the prime demographics of Disney theme parks continues to age.
If there were more benches, some folks with less stamina
might decide to walk, then rest a bit.
But, since Disney has decided to remove so much seating,
the mechanical rolling kind will continue to be prominent.

It may be intentional, but it's irritating. It drives me to leave the park.

Midday, when we sit to eat lunch and recharge our batteries (our bodies, not cell phones) it helps to keep us going for hours. I don’t understand the theory of standing longer = spending money. If we’re tired, we leave.
I can't speak for anyone else, but, for me at my age, it is a real problem that I would never even have considered 10 years ago. If one is young then you think that everyone has the same measure of stamina that you do. Why do you think there is so much anger about mobility devices. They should be walking the lazy scum. The rule makers day will come when all of a sudden they realize what life has in store for all of us. It ain't pretty.

Was it "late afternoon/early evening"?

They do close that area off quite often(both the Lower Terrace(Lochside) and/or the Upper Terrace("Umbrella tables"))for Receptions and other events that culminate with IllumiNations viewing.:)

The CMs should have just respectfully explained that and told you to check the seating area on the "other side" of R&C.

I’m not sure exactly what time it was. It might have been for something like that.

Yes, it was just their attitude and the way they said that no seating is ever guaranteed at counter service restaurants. It was just weird. And probably the worst CM interaction I ever experienced.

I think that is true in many instances but, if I just spent nearly $100. to get into a theme park I am going to sit long enough to rest the body and then be on my way. I can sit at home for free. Even the stand up tables would be a help at the small walk up food places. Someplace to put my food other then a garbage can. If anyone wants to get on the bandwagon about BAD SHOW that would be a really good place to start. Everyone is overly upset about a possible AA that isn't working and not paying any attention to the much bigger problem. The old bend over to pick up a penny while dollar bills fly overhead. Besides, and maybe this is just me, but, I do not go to WDW to shop.

If I paid to get into a park, that is what I am visiting not the stores. Everything in those is strictly impulse. I don't spend that money to go spend some more. That's like shopping at... well... Costco! If after a long day of being on my feet if any of those rocket scientist think that I am going to wander around a store, they are in serious need of psychiatric help. If I am rested and not hurting anywhere I might spend time in the shops looking around, otherwise I'm out of there. Then I will plan a separate block of time to go to Disney Springs and just do shopping.

I understand. Just playing devil's advocate from the corporate perspective. To your points, I would imagine from their perspective, a tired park go-er that can't find a place to sit may wander into an air conditioned store for a reprieve. Or an air conditioned QS restaurant and purchase a drink/snack, etc. Many theme parks, shopping centers, etc. will have a lack of seating so there must be something to the analytics of it. If your thought process drove more spending, then we'd see more benches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter