Where to relax late afternoon near MK

Juventus

DIS Veteran
I was wondering where a good place to relax mid afternoon, reachable by monorail, for a couple hours would be.

Last March by two eldest (5&7) and I ropedropped MK, drove back to our offsite accommodations after the 3:00 parade, and came back for fiireworks: it worked out well.

This year I was thinking of instead of heading back to our accommodations we would head over to the Grand Floridian and relax for an hour or so on a couch in the big area they have there, grab dinner at Polynesian, then head back to MK.

I have never been to Polynesian or Contemporary: Any similar areas to sit down and relax for a bit at those two?

Thanks!

That sounds like a fine plan.

The Contemporary doesn't have a relaxing lobby, but the Polynesian does. But your current plan sounds terrific.

The contemporary is on the water with a small beach area that’s nice to hang out on if it’s nice outside :)

Your idea sounds great though!

I was wondering where a good place to relax mid afternoon, reachable by monorail, for a couple hours would be.

Last March by two eldest (5&7) and I ropedropped MK, drove back to our offsite accommodations after the 3:00 parade, and came back for fiireworks: it worked out well.

This year I was thinking of instead of heading back to our accommodations we would head over to the Grand Floridian and relax for an hour or so on a couch in the big area they have there, grab dinner at Polynesian, then head back to MK.

I have never been to Polynesian or Contemporary: Any similar areas to sit down and relax for a bit at those two?

Thanks!

I think your plan to sit and relax at the GF is a good idea. I agree with the pp that the CR lobby isn't very relaxing, but the Poly lobby is. Another suggestion is the WL. It's not on the monorail, but the lobby is beautiful with a relaxing atmosphere and is a quick/nice boat ride back to MK (or the bus goes direct with no other stops).

As an alternative, I would suggest taking a boat over to WL and relaxing there. I find the lobby to be less of a hustle-and-bustle than the monorail resort lobbies and there are actually things there your kids could do if they get a little bored - there is an arcade, they could see some of Walt's original backyard trains in the BRV lobby right next door and the front desk can give you a hand-out detailing the totem poles and other items in their artifact collection. It's also very relaxing - the lobby is quite big and soaring and there is a water feature (which adds some nice white noise) and a fireplace with rocking chairs. Your kids might also enjoy Whispering Canyon for dinner.

how about boating over to the WL..?? Talk about relaxing lobby.
That's good, I also like the GF. If you're dining at the Poly you might try for outdoor seating at Trader Sam's. If the weather is nice it can be relaxing out there(TS opens at 4pm)

Just curious if your kids would actually sit down and relax in a hotel lobby for a few hours? My kids are around the same ages (5 and 8) and no way would they do that, they’d be complaining that they were bored after 15 minutes and begging to go back to the park, no matter how tired I was! :rotfl2:

Just curious if your kids would actually sit down and relax in a hotel lobby for a few hours? My kids are around the same ages (5 and 8) and no way would they do that, they’d be complaining that they were bored after 15 minutes and begging to go back to the park, no matter how tired I was! :rotfl2:

OR...they'd fall asleep with the a/c and soft music and then you have a parent's worst decision: Whether to wake a sleeping child!;)

Great suggestions already... I think WL will offer some better relaxation, but GF is the best monorail option. Enjoy and great planning!

As an alternative, I would suggest taking a boat over to WL and relaxing there. I find the lobby to be less of a hustle-and-bustle than the monorail resort lobbies and there are actually things there your kids could do if they get a little bored - there is an arcade, they could see some of Walt's original backyard trains in the BRV lobby right next door and the front desk can give you a hand-out detailing the totem poles and other items in their artifact collection. It's also very relaxing - the lobby is quite big and soaring and there is a water feature (which adds some nice white noise) and a fireplace with rocking chairs. Your kids might also enjoy Whispering Canyon for dinner.
I'd go to the quick-serve (Roaring Fork), get a drink and/or snack, and sit outdoors (they have a really nice covered area near the pool). If you time it right, you can watch the geyser erupt (on the hour).

Thanks!

I think the grand is perfect for a relaxing afternoon. The grand pianist is out and entertaining every afternoon, so you have the big ol lobby with cozy seating. I love it there.

If it doesn't need to be inside we have found a beach at the Poly on the walk towards the GF to be abandoned at times. We;ve been there and had the whole thing to ourselves.

Both my DDs AND my DH would be totally bored just sitting there. When we go to other resorts we may sit for 10-15 minutes but we would normally just be walking around touring the resort, going into the stores etc. Midday breaks never worked with our family, we would rather just find a place in the park to sit and have a snack.
OP - The GF is by far our favorite resort and your plan sounds good.

Several other people mentioned boats. Perhaps take it to the Polynesian, take the monorail or walk to GF, and take monorail back to MK?

Its a clunky plan, but if you hate just sitting (like me), it gives you a break and keeps you moving.

Both my DDs AND my DH would be totally bored just sitting there. When we go to other resorts we may sit for 10-15 minutes but we would normally just be walking around touring the resort, going into the stores etc. Midday breaks never worked with our family, we would rather just find a place in the park to sit and have a snack.
Yes, we do the same! Find a snack and sit for a bit! We did a midday break last year one day and the kids were complaining the whole time that they wanted to go back to the parks - they were bored at the AoA pool! Hahahaha!

Several other people mentioned boats. Perhaps take it to the Polynesian, take the monorail or walk to GF, and take monorail back to MK?

Its a clunky plan, but if you hate just sitting (like me), it gives you a break and keeps you moving.
Doesn't have to be clunky. There is a launch that circulates MK>GF>Poly>MK...
There is the ferry to the TTC, with Poly being an easy walk.
There is the monorail.

surprised nobody suggested a boat to FW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter