Where to buy? Please consider your local shop first!

Geoff_M

DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
As I was reading another thread today that mentioned places to look for the cheapest camera prices, it occured to me that I ought to make a bit of a plea. Given that we're all Internet savy, when it comes to making purchases in the hundreds of dollars (or higher) the temptation is to run off to our computers and look for a cheapest price we can find. At times this can lead to short-sighted behavior.

If you have a local camera store (I'm not talking about the electronics department at Wal-Mart), consider giving them a crack at it. Consider buying it there even if it's a little more than what you can get it for on a deep-discounter web site. Why?

1) Customer support. The local guy's may not offer to "hold your hand" to show you how to use your camera, but they will more than likely give you pointers when asked or provide instant feedback if you think your equipment is malfunctioning. Some even offer cheap or free seminars or "clinics" on photography.

2) You never know when you might need them. If you can't find the charger for you camera and you're leaving on vacation the next day, it's nice to have a place you can run to same-day that might be able to bail you out.

3) Try it before you buy it. You may be able to be able to hold a camera in your hands at the electronics counter of a local deep discount store, but a lot of camera shops will let you bring in your own card, pop it in a demo unit, and step outside to fire off some test frames that you can evaluate at home before you make a decision.

4) They can be more competitive than you think. They know that people can easily find the websites of major NYC discounters. Your local guys' prices may not be as high as you think, given today's market. Many of them will also at least make an effort to move closer to a reputable website's price if they are higher.

I'm fortunate to have a nice camera shop local to me. I'm willing to spend a little more on occasion to help support the shop. I think it's in my best interest to help keep the guy in business. Do I blindly buy everything there regardless of cost?... Nope. Also, whatever you do... don't go into your local place, try out stuff, and then go home and buy it on-line elsewhere. That's a real low-blow to your local dealer.

Geoff_M said:
As I was reading another thread today that mentioned places to look for the cheapest camera prices,

Sometimes it is not just about getting the cheapest price.

True story, needed a canon 50mm 1.8(very common).

Shop owner: May I help you?

ME: Sure do you have a canon 50mm....(shop owner interupts here)

Shop owner: What are you shooting?

ME: I just need a canon 50mm 1.8 lens.

Shop owner: (pulling out a generic, not even quantaray level 24-70mm zoom) This has 50mm.

ME: Oh no that is ok, can we order the lens I need?

Shop owner: Zooms are better

ME: Thank you, I will go to Samys in downtown.

Shop owner: You cant find a lens like that, trust me I have been in this business for over 30 years...(while the door is closing behind me)

Now this reminds me of my high school years working at a bike shop, store owner taught me that if a customer asks for a brand of bikes we did not carry to always answer "oh now we do not carry them anymore, too many customer complaints". The old sell what you have routine.

And of course not all camera stores use the same tactics. Another store in the city of Downey is very good, but why does it take 3-4 weeks to get a Canon flash from them when I could order online and have delivered in 3 days(for LESS MONEY).

The Big store in town Samys(downtown LA) does tend to have a great selection, but their instore tactics are worse than used car sales reps. Nothing is priced, you have to ask for the price and depending on their mood it may or may not be negotiable. They have a web site that gives better prices than the store 90% of the time. So only way I buy from them if they happen to have something I need in their weekly ad.

Bottom line I would be happy to support the local guy, but lets be honest. They are not what they used to be.

Now you wait longer and pay more for a smaller selection.

The Big store in town Samys(downtown LA) does tend to have a great selection, but their instore tactics are worse than used car sales reps. Nothing is priced, you have to ask for the price and depending on their mood it may or may not be negotiable. They have a web site that gives better prices than the store 90% of the time. So only way I buy from them if they happen to have something I need in their weekly ad.
That's interesting. I'm not doubting your sincerity, but the West Coast pro shooters (SI, USA Today staffers, etc.) that belong to an on-line photo community that I belong to rave on Samy's. Everyone says "Just call them and talk to Lou..."

Yep, the guys in NYC can deliver when it comes to prices (the honest ones, that is), but my personal experience with customer service leaves me for wanting. I bought a 3rd party 1.4x TC from the "big one" in NYC a year ago. My local was out of stock, as was Samy's and Roberts, so I tried NYC. They had one. This was supposed to be a "pro" model of a TC I already owned (the "consumer" version seemed too soft for my liking). The NYC retailer had one and shipped it. I arrived, but in controlled tests I found that the "pro" model actually performed worse than my older "consumer" version. I called "the big one" for advice on if this was a defective "pro" TC. I explained to the sales rep what I found and asked if he thought I should try another unit or was there another TC he'd recommend (hint: "Up-sell opening!"). His quick three word response was "Send it back!". I followed up and asked him again if there was another TC he'd suggest. He said "No." That was our conversation in its entirely.

I agree that not every local guy is worth supporting, but I guess I've been real lucky in the locals that I've had to deal with personally: Norman Camera in Michigan, Jack's Camera and Roberts Imaging in Indiana. If your local is a jerk, than you obviously don't care if they stick around.

My local also has a web site where the prices are often cheaper than the in-store price. That's because the retail space over-head isn't applied to the Internet side of the operation. However, because my local store recognizes me as a "loyal customer" I usually get the on-line price in-store.

Bottom line I would be happy to support the local guy, but lets be honest. They are not what they used to be.
And in today's market they can't be. It too easy to just hop on-line and go price shopping now-a-days. Locals aren't going to last by screwing customers and not giving good customer service. I've only personally run into one store like that. It was in the late 70's in my home town. It was a small store on the edge of a university campus. They sold gray market stuff and other junk. I visited them once, and they were out of business in under a year.

I did shop at my local camera shop the weekend before my last trip to WDW. I needed a 72mm filter (UV) for my 18-70 kit lens. I paid nearly $80 for it and the same one is at least 20-25 less online. I don't know how this place stays in business (they used to have 3 stores, now only 1) with mark ups like that. But I was in a bind. I knew I couldn't get one from an online vendor in time for my trip. I suppose there are other people like me in that situation that shop there but I also know that some people like to shop the local stores because of the extra customer service they get and are willing to pay extra for the convenience of that plus being within driving distance.

The idea is not just to go to a local seller, but to go to a local seller who has a good reputation. There are crooks in every business. For those in So Cal, I buy all my equipment at Montes in Whittier. They're terrific guys, they give you great support and great prices. If you do a lot of business with them, they'll even give you some discounts. I wouldn't dream of buying equipment without going to them first!

That's they key. A place with a good reputation.

I'm kinda on the fence here. I use a small shop, but it's not really local for me anymore. It's in PA,near the NJ border. Since I moved to FL, it's about 1000 miles away, but I have a relationship with Allen's Camera, so I'll keep buying mail order from them. I'm still up that way every 2-3 months, so no biggie for support.

I'll use the big boxes for gear like bags and other accessories, and I buy my cards from Amazon.

Anne

I would love to but our store, which I loved and got great advice from, closed down almost overnight!! Went there looking to buy a new camera and they were gone!!!

I have tried to use my local store many times. They just aren't carrying the items I need. I would love to hop on my bike and ride down to get what I need, but the items just aren't there. They didn't have the camara, lens, filters or bag I wanted. The only thing they had was a lens cleaning cloth.

Yes, even penny-pinching me bought our camera at a local camera store and paid about $50.00 more for it. The gal we bought it from was so helpful and patient with us. And we knew that we could call her if we had any questions (but I come here for those!). And she promised us good customer service and I am sure if we need it, we will get it.

Muushka said:
Yes, even penny-pinching me bought our camera at a local camera store and paid about $50.00 more for it. The gal we bought it from was so helpful and patient with us. And we knew that we could call her if we had any questions (but I come here for those!). And she promised us good customer service and I am sure if we need it, we will get it.

Hey! Some college kid from Cary NC was on Jeopardy tonight!!

Muushka said:

Would that have been a Wolf Camera by any chance? I'm seriously considering going to them when I get my new Video Camera which is going to happen sooner rather than later because our old one just ate the tape this morning (for the 3rd time in a month) while I was taping my 1 year old being really cute ~ ARGH. Anyway I live in Raleigh so your dealer might be close. I'm also thinking about Best Buy because they have a camera I really like. I really hadn't thought about buying on the internet because I really like personal service when it comes to big ticket items like that. There was only one case I thought about buying online and it was the fact that the camera I really want is only available online as far as I can tell, but I'm having a hard time even finding it online, which is how a friend of ours bought it. SIGH :badpc:

MiknMinMouse said:
Would that have been a Wolf Camera by any chance? ...Snip...
Yes indeedy it was. We got it at the new North Hills Wolf Camera. The manager is great there.

I Can't remember her name, but I would definatly work again with her. We have a couple of Wolfs here in Cary, but we went the extra miles to go to the Raleigh one!

I actually wanted to buy it from truly local (one store) photo shop, but they did not give me the service that my Wolf gave me.

Muushka said:
Yes indeedy it was. We got it at the new North Hills Wolf Camera. The manager is great there. I Can't remember her name, but I would definatly work again with her. We have a couple of Wolfs here in Cary, but we went the extra miles to go to the Raleigh one!I actually wanted to buy it from truly local (one store) photo shop, but they did not give me the service that my Wolf gave me.

I will try there for sure then before deciding ~ it's just a hop skip and jump (and a couple miles) from my house. Thanks for the info. :Pinkbounc

Muushka said:
Yes, even penny-pinching me bought our camera at a local camera store and paid about $50.00 more for it....
Penny-pinchers from Cary? That's rare...can't complain, though: been there since '93 :)

So which store do you go to? I've tried all the local Wolf and Ritz Cameras around, but they SUCK for anything specialty or non-p&s...I've been told to visit Peace Camera in Raleigh, but I'm never in downtown Raleigh to make it convenient...

xder345 said:
Penny-pinchers from Cary? That's rare...can't complain, though: been there since '93 :)

So which store do you go to? I've tried all the local Wolf and Ritz Cameras around, but they SUCK for anything specialty or non-p&s...I've been told to visit Peace Camera in Raleigh, but I'm never in downtown Raleigh to make it convenient...

Well, I am originally a Yankee, does that explain the penny-pinching??

I went to the Wolf in the new North Hills mall. The manager there was the most helpful. I have also visited the Peace Camera several times, but not for the DSLR. They are very knowlegable there, and I probably should have visited them but I went to their store that they split from in Cary (Southeastern). But I felt better with the gal from Wolf.

I do agree with your statement about the majority of Wolf/Ritz. Not the best customer service.

That's the only thing that concerns me about going to the Wolf store. I don't mind buying from there but I want a really good selection. That and I need a pretty good price. I'm a reward zone member of Best Buy and I just got a notice in the mail that there's special sale for members this weekend. ARGH.

Seems to me that most Wolf/Ritz stores have turned into glorified film developing places...the Manager at the Wolf at Brier Creek is a buffoon, and so are most of the employees...totally clueless and of no help. Still, I did buy my wife's camera there, for full MSRP, nonetheless, because I needed it sooner than the online sites could deliver.

xder345 said:
Seems to me that most Wolf/Ritz stores have turned into glorified film developing places...the Manager at the Wolf at Brier Creek is a buffoon, and so are most of the employees...totally clueless and of no help. Still, I did buy my wife's camera there, for full MSRP, nonetheless, because I needed it sooner than the online sites could deliver.

Most of the Ritz locations around here are the same, although once in a while you get lucky and find a clerk who is a photography buff and has some real knowledge.

We are also lucky enough to have one or two real camera shops in Baltimore which handle professional gear. I like Service Photo, which is in north Baltimore in the Hambden neighborhood. They are a prety good camera shop with a lot of stuff in stock and prices that compare favorably to B&H Photo. In fact, some of their stuff winds up being just a hair cheaper than B&H when you compare the total including tax to the B&H total including shipping.

For piddly stuff like filters I do tend to go to Ritz, because they are all over around here and convenient. Once in a while, Ritz runs a good sale, and you can get nice camera bags, straps, or other accessories for bargain prices on their clearance racks. I got a $15 camera strap for $4 last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter