Where to Add-On?

DrMomof3

DIS Veteran
After many, many years of debating and discussing we finally bought into DVC last year. We purchased 160 points at VGF with an August UY. We have already found many uses for our points and, as a family of 5, we are already finding that 160 points are not enough. I'm from a big family and we're traveling with grandparents and would like to include my siblings with their children on trips in the future.
Over the years we have stayed at every DVC resort except OKW (nothing against OKW, it just hasn't come up yet). In all fairness our first trip home to VGF will be for Marathon Weekend in January but we have stayed at the hotel in the past. I usually run at least 2 runDisney events per year (2014 was Marathon Weekend at BLT and then W&D on a cash reservation at Boardwalk Inn) and we often take a summer trip just for vacation.
We love different resorts for different reasons. I love BWV and BCV for the proximity to both Epcot and DHS as well as the many excellent restaurants in the area (my children are young but already appreciate fine dining - God help us!). We love SAB and even the scary clown pool. And I love both F&G and F&W. We love Kidani for its relaxing feel and the great food there and at Jambo (we spent a super fun evening at Victoria Falls where the kids got infinite refills on their Shirley Temples while my DH and I enjoyed some fine wine). My family loves BLT for the modern, high-rise appearance and the extra bathroom in the one bedroom villas. And honestly we've had 2 lovely stays at SSR even though it's not a favorite of mine but my kids love the big pool and the boat ride to DTD.
I had been thinking about buying DVC at the Poly when it opens but recent rumors about studios in the longhouses and larger villas only in the bungalows for lots and lots of points scares me. (Obviously I will wait to decide until that issue settles out a bit.)
I also suspect that as my children go from Tween to Teen that my daughter will not be willing to share a bed with a brother anymore and we may find that a one bedroom just isn't big enough (we spent one night in a one bedroom at BWV in December after 3 nights at Kidani and my then 7 year old daughter announced that it wasn't reasonable for a family of 5 to share one bathroom and could I please make sure that didn't happen in the future).
So here's the WWYD question?
More points at VGF so we get the 11 month booking window for bigger units?
More points at an Epcot Resort and use banking/borrowing and spend one trip at an Epcot Resort and one at a Monorail Resort (or even split stays which we've done in the past and liked)?
More points at Poly, assuming it's a reasonable option once the dust settles, because it's Poly and I love it there?
More points at AKV or BLT?
I don't really see buying more points at SSR because, while I am willing to stay there instead of not going, it'll never be my first choice.
I'd love to hear opinions. We're not quite ready to buy the points anyway as we have some roof repairs on the horizon but I like to start planning ahead and obsessively checking the re-sale websites for good contracts.

Thanks!
Amanda

Amanda, your 7 year old daughter sounds like my 2 DDs ages 9 and 11 lol! After our first stay in a one bedroom at Kidani they aren't fond of the other 1 bedroom units with "only" one bathroom! That being said, we've also stayed at all the DVC resorts at WDW except OKW (also just hasn't come up but do want to stay there eventually). We have 220 points at AKV and would like to add on in the future. Also waiting for Poly but we think we'd like to eventually add resale at either BLT or BCV. BLT because we love the resort and the proximity to the MK and BCV because of the proximity to EPCOT. We liked BCV better than BWV in general because of stormalong bay (although the community room at BWV was excellent) and the slightly closer walk to EPCOT. With VGF prices being so high I personally wouldn't buy there to stay at another resort. With two kids the eventual plan for us is to double our points so each child gets an equal share. If you can plan ahead and book at the 11 month mark then AKV might be a good way for you to go because of the value rooms where you can get a 2BR value room for less points than many 1 bedrooms. If you're ok with booking at the 7 month window then SSR or OKW might be a better way to go to get more points for your money....or if you'd like to get a grand villa at either one. Good luck!

After reading your post it seems that BWV or BCV would be a good fit. You'd have VGF for MK access and BWV/BCV for Epcot/HS access. Look at how many points you'd need for a 2 bedroom there for your usual length of stay - probably a lot fewer than you'd need for 2 bedrooms at VGF or Poly!

Buy the points where you want guaranteed 11 month booking or buy at SSR and use the points booking somewhere else taking a chance at 7 months. Using VGF points to stay somewhere else is expensive.

Don't forget that you can bank and borrow to increase the points available at a particular resort. So at VGF you could have 320 - 480 points for stays at VGF every 2 or 3 years.

We have BWV points for Epcot/DHS stays and VWL and VGF points for MK stays.

:earsboy: Bill

Amanda, your 7 year old daughter sounds like my 2 DDs ages 9 and 11 lol! After our first stay in a one bedroom at Kidani they aren't fond of the other 1 bedroom units with "only" one bathroom! That being said, we've also stayed at all the DVC resorts at WDW except OKW (also just hasn't come up but do want to stay there eventually). We have 220 points at AKV and would like to add on in the future. Also waiting for Poly but we think we'd like to eventually add resale at either BLT or BCV. BLT because we love the resort and the proximity to the MK and BCV because of the proximity to EPCOT. We liked BCV better than BWV in general because of stormalong bay (although the community room at BWV was excellent) and the slightly closer walk to EPCOT. With VGF prices being so high I personally wouldn't buy there to stay at another resort. With two kids the eventual plan for us is to double our points so each child gets an equal share. If you can plan ahead and book at the 11 month mark then AKV might be a good way for you to go because of the value rooms where you can get a 2BR value room for less points than many 1 bedrooms. If you're ok with booking at the 7 month window then SSR or OKW might be a better way to go to get more points for your money....or if you'd like to get a grand villa at either one. Good luck!

Good points about only using VGF points at VGF. I hadn't really thought about it that way... The downside to the Epcot resorts is that staying in a one bedroom, while permitted, requires us to provide an extra bed. We can stay in a one bedroom at VGF, BLT, or Kidani using the existing bedding. (And the extra bathroom, of course.)

After reading your post it seems that BWV or BCV would be a good fit. You'd have VGF for MK access and BWV/BCV for Epcot/HS access. Look at how many points you'd need for a 2 bedroom there for your usual length of stay - probably a lot fewer than you'd need for 2 bedrooms at VGF or Poly!

Although we have comfortably stayed in a one bedroom and for the Epcot resorts we pretty much need a 2 bedroom (we spent one night in a 1 bedroom at BWV but my 5 year old stayed in our bed which is not acceptable for a longer trip).

Buy the points where you want guaranteed 11 month booking or buy at SSR and use the points booking somewhere else taking a chance at 7 months. Using VGF points to stay somewhere else is expensive.

Don't forget that you can bank and borrow to increase the points available at a particular resort. So at VGF you could have 320 - 480 points for stays at VGF every 2 or 3 years.

We have BWV points for Epcot/DHS stays and VWL and VGF points for MK stays.

:earsboy: Bill

Good points! My biggest issue with the Epcot resorts is that we're trading the ability to stay in a one bedroom as a family of 5. At least at the newer resorts, even though we lose the great Epcot location, we can comfortably fit in a one bedroom.

Thank you all! I hadn't really thought through the fact that using VGF points elsewhere is a little wasteful. We took a last minute trip before Christmas last year and took what we could get (3 nights at Kidani and 1 at Boardwalk but it was 12/19-12/23 or something and we booked it about 4 weeks out when my husband's schedule changed). We are staying in a 2 bedroom at VGF in January but usually we would choose a 1 bedroom if we don't have extra family members with us (we need grandparents to help with the kids during the race weekend!).

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter