• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where should we stay?

lewdyan1

DIS Veteran
Well we finally got to where we know where to stay and how to best do the parks with my DS, now my DH wants to bring his parents who will need wheelchairs at the parks, they can walk short distances. He wants to know which resort you would recommend. I was thinking Swan or Dolphin as it is a self contained building, but look forward to hearing other ideas. Does anyone know if S/D cater to Diabetics, like WDW resorts do?

On my last trip I resort hopped & checked out the different resorts while DH was in a conference. The Swan & Dolphin are self contained, but when I walked through them they seemed so huge. I'm thinking the Contemporary Resort was smaller & might be a better choice based on your concerns. Of course I think it costs a bit more, so that might be a consideration too. Maybe someone who's stayed at the Swan or Dolphin could give more feedback. Have a great trip!

If they can walk short distances, I'd suggest looking into renting wheelchairs or scooters for them.
We have not stayed at Swan or Dolphin, but have visited them. They are huge buildings and the walk from your room to the restaurant/other facilities is more than a short distance. Also, those resorts are served by the Friendship boats that go between the Epcot resorts, the Studio and Epcot, but to get to the dock might be quite a walk from your room.

I would do The Contemporary. We took our son in a wheelchair and all we had to do was push him to MK. Did not have to take transportation for it. Did use the monorail for Epcot.

Donnask8pro said:
I would do The Contemporary. We took our son in a wheelchair and all we had to do was push him to MK. Did not have to take transportation for it. Did use the monorail for Epcot.
Another thing to think about is what park you will be spending most time at.
If it's MK, then your best choice would be someplace close and easy to get to MK (like Donna suggests).
Going to MK from the Epcot area resorts is a much longer trip (on a shared bus).
If you are planning to spend more of your time at the Studio or Epcot, then the Epcot resorts make more sense for you.

Prior to joining DVC we enjoyed the fortwilderness cabins.
That way we all stayed together (sleeps 6 - I think) and we had a kitchen which allowed us to have coffee, snacks, and light meals in the room.

After joining DVC we loved the spaciousness of Old Key West. You can check out rentals on the DVC-rent/trade board.

We have been renting out our points this year due to our Wonder cruise and condo in Daytona. Hubbie ran out of vacation time- However only have 41 points left which would not be enough for your stay.

Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter