• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where NOT to stay between Seattle and Anaheim

abayaflowers said:
Don't be nervous! Traveling by car in California is wonderful! It also wonderful traveling through other parts of the US. If you are taking the windy roads along the coast and tend to be carsick, use dramamine or stop ever so often to take beautiful pics of the coast.

Also, try to stop at the Marine Headlands right before you get to the Golden Gate Bridge.

It's so beautiful, plus you can get a good pic from the North side along with the view of the City.

We live 20 mins. from Santa Cruz and nestled in a Redwood Forest. We love it and we hope you and your DH have a wonderful drive and vacation!

Thank you! I know its going to be great once we get going, its just preparing -or over preparing that is causing me grief ;)

This thread reads like a travel version of "Who's on First?" :rotfl2:

I have only been to California once, OP, and the worst place I have ever stayed in my life was the Travelodge in Santa Cruz. I think that will be on your way - we were traveling from San Francisco down to Big Sur/Monterrey/Carmel (I think - it has been a long time, probably back before Trip Advisor existed). From the reviews on Trip Advisor, the name has changed but the awfulness remains the same:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...way_Inn_and_Suites-Santa_Cruz_California.html

I have only been to California once, OP, and the worst place I have ever stayed in my life was the Travelodge in Santa Cruz. I think that will be on your way - we were traveling from San Francisco down to Big Sur/Monterrey/Carmel (I think - it has been a long time, probably back before Trip Advisor existed). From the reviews on Trip Advisor, the name has changed but the awfulness remains the same:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...way_Inn_and_Suites-Santa_Cruz_California.html

This made me laugh out loud and nearly choke on my coffee!!! :lmao:

Ewwww, thank you for the heads up! very much appreciated! :scared:

I know exactly which one you mentioned. It's REALLY NASTY!

If we want to stay in Santa Cruz, we stay at Seascape Resort (many times for Thanksgiving weekend). One time, my girls took me to stay at the Chaminade for Mother's Day.

Seascape is so much nicer.

Well - we recently had to make an emergency overnight (traffic was horrible on I-5 N at the Grapevine) and it was getting late. We stopped at America's Best Value Inn in Kettleman City. It was odd because it still carried the Super 8 logo, and I was confused trying to check the rates online. It was doubly odd because we saw there was single queen and double queen availability online, but when we got there the desk clerk said only double queen was available. It was also cheaper walk up.

I would say it was an OK place to stay although parts of the property could use some basic maintenance. The lot has these massive potholes that are easy enough to get around but shouldn't be there (how hard would it be to patch them?). The rooms were pretty large, comfortable, and quiet. It's a basic motel feel. The water (looked it up and it's groundwater) is a bit strange, and I wouldn't recommend drinking it because of the off taste. I'm sure it's been softened and filtered for heavy metals, but that taste is hard to remove without reverse osmosis (Anaheim has a similar issue and Disneyland uses heavy duty filtration at restaurants but not water fountains). The room itself seemed pretty clean if a bit dated. The walls look like they get regular paint, although our room had scuffs. Not great but not bad. If you need 10 hours to hole up on a road trip, this is ideal. Just bring some bottled water and you'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter