• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where NOT to stay between Seattle and Anaheim

Disneylovers2000

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow Dis'ers! Everyone always asks for suggestions on where TO stay, but what I want to know is where would you NOT stay or would NEVER stay again!
We are doing the epic road trip from Edmonton Alberta and will make it to Seattle on our first day of driving. After that - with HUGE hesitation - but with much advise, I am letting go of my A type controlling issues and just going with the flow!:scared1: Thus, my question! We don't know how far we will drive per day or where we will stay, we are just going. From another thread I have read, Stockton is a place to stay away from. King City is also another that is not recommended. SOOO, help please! Where should we stay away from?? I am thinking safety and cleanliness, not specific hotels, but towns and cities.
Thanks!!:worship:

we are planning on driving the I5 until Grants Pass, then the 199 to the 101. We plan on taking the 101, skipping over to Monterey and taking the 1 the rest of the way.

Hello fellow Dis'ers! Everyone always asks for suggestions on where TO stay, but what I want to know is where would you NOT stay or would NEVER stay again!
We are doing the epic road trip from Edmonton Alberta and will make it to Seattle on our first day of driving. After that - with HUGE hesitation - but with much advise, I am letting go of my A type controlling issues and just going with the flow!:scared1: Thus, my question! We don't know how far we will drive per day or where we will stay, we are just going. From another thread I have read, Stockton is a place to stay away from. King City is also another that is not recommended. SOOO, help please! Where should we stay away from?? I am thinking safety and cleanliness, not specific hotels, but towns and cities.
Thanks!!:worship:

we are planning on driving the I5 until Grants Pass, then the 199 to the 101. We plan on taking the 101, skipping over to Monterey and taking the 1 the rest of the way.

I am trying to help, so help me to understand. Stockton is not a place to stay. But if you are going to Monterey from Seattle , I can not understand why you would hit Stockton even? If you stay on I5 and go to 152 west and 56 going west and then 101 going south will take you to Monterey. We live in Sacramento and go all the time. I am wondering why you want the 99. So if you could give clearer instructions of how you are going I could help you better. The 99 freeway does not go to 101

usnuzuloose said:
I am trying to help, so help me to understand. Stockton is not a place to stay. But if you are going to Monterey from Seattle , I can not understand why you would hit Stockton even? If you stay on I5 and go to 152 west and 56 going west and then 101 going south will take you to Monterey. We live in Sacramento and go all the time. I am wondering why you want the 99. So if you could give clearer instructions of how you are going I could help you better. The 99 freeway does not go to 101

Hi there, I was just using Stockton as an example of places that I have heard of that are not safe to stay. Sorry for the confussion :)
I think you may have misread my route. I don't want the 99. I am taking the I5 to Grants Pass (Oregon) taking the 199 in Northern Cali to the 101. Taking that down south to say Salinas then scooching over to Monterey and taking the hiway 1 the rest of the way :)
I hope that's a little clearer ;) I sure appreciate the help!! Thank you!!

The 99 does not go to the 101. If you are coming down I5 take those directions which is the 152 west to 156 towards Hollister to the 101 south and follow it to Monterey. That is the fastest route. I5 does have pit stops and not sure of the hotels there. But on the 152 west there is a place called Fruita De Casa , an awesome fruit stand , restaurant, a few other places in there. At best your only about an hour out from Monterey.

It is our favorite place to visit all the time. The weather varies there. Some days it can be cooler or some days it will be real warm. You won't even go through Salinas. This is the best route. If you went straight down to Salinas you would have gone way out of your way. If you are still unclear with the directions don't hesitate to ask.

I will help get you there. I think my husband saw the route you were looking at and it is all wonky. :lmao: So no need to go through Salinas. if you are confused with writing directions I would be happy to pm you my number and explain it that way.

Again, I think you may have misunderstood where I want to get on the 101. I would like to get on the 101 in Northern Cali via 199 to Crescent City then take the 101 all the way down through San Francisco. I know I don't have to go through Salinas, I was using it as a reference point. We don't have a set route, we are going where the wind blows us thus the question " where to avoid" so we may plan accordingly as opposed to choosing a route, being set on it and finding out later that we should have never chosen _________ city/town. Hope that clears it up :)

Just as an aside so you don't think I am completely crazy, I do have a road map of Washington, Oregon, and California and have been pouring over them since January :) we aren't necessarily looking to take the fastest route, but definitely the safest!!
The question was intended to be very general that's all, not specific to a route.

Just as an aside so you don't think I am completely crazy, I do have a road map of Washington, Oregon, and California and have been pouring over them since January :) we aren't necessarily looking to take the fastest route, but definitely the safest!!
The question was intended to be very general that's all, not specific to a route.

I have traveled to and from Grants Pass, OR and live near Monterey. I agree with the previous Sacramento poster. You cannot get to the 101 from 99. Don't take I-99. I recommend stopping at the old town in Sacramento as well as visiting the train museum and the capitol.

Then, get back onto I-80 towards San Francisco. Head towards I-680 towards Benicia San Jose. Then, take 101-S to LA. Finally take 156W to Monterey. It's nicer and have more places to stop.

By the way, the Jelly Belly Factory is in Fairfield near Sacramento.

I have lived and traveled all over California and have found that all the towns are safe. Note: I lived in East LA as well.

abayaflowers said:
I have traveled to and from Grants Pass, OR and live near Monterey. I agree with the previous Sacramento poster. You cannot get to the 101 from 99. Don't take I-99. I recommend stopping at the old town in Sacramento as well as visiting the train museum and the capitol.

Then, get back onto I-80 towards San Francisco. Head towards I-680 towards Benicia San Jose. Then, take 101-S to LA. Finally take 156W to Monterey. It's nicer and have more places to stop.

By the way, the Jelly Belly Factory is in Fairfield near Sacramento.

I have lived and traveled all over California and have found that all the towns are safe. Note: I lived in East LA as well.

I am really very confused. On the map I have and on Google maps it tells me to leave Grants Pass, go south and west and get on 199 travelling south west to 101. If I am reading this wrong could someone please tell me how to get from Grants Pass to Crescent City. I would like to travel down the 101 through The Avenue of Giants continuing south across the golden gate and further south to Monterey. My brain is about to explode lol!
Just as an aside.We don't have time to stop and visit or do touristy things. We are just driving and taking in the visual sights.

Take 199 from grants pass to the 101 junction just outside crescent city. then follow 101 down to San Fran. From there choose either 101 or 1 to get to monterey. We did the same route last year but stopped at Santa Cruz rather then Monterey. The redwoods are amazing! Have a great time!

I think the confusion is coming in from the fact you take 199 from grants pass. They are telling you not to take i-99 two different roads :)

Stitch35 said:
Take 199 from grants pass to the 101 junction just outside crescent city. then follow 101 down to San Fran. From there choose either 101 or 1 to get to monterey. We did the same route last year but stopped at Santa Cruz rather then Monterey. The redwoods are amazing! Have a great time!

Thank you, thank you,thank you!! I was really starting to think I was going crazy!!
May I ask, is the 101 from crescent city a double lane or single lane highway?
We are really looking forward to the redwoods as well. Is there anything we need to worry about down that stretch of the 101? This is my family's first lengthy road trip and I am a little nervous!;)
Thanks so much!!

From what I remember most of it is a two lane but a few sections are one lane. Biggest thing about that route is bathrooms can be a bit far apart. Other then that it was a beautiful drive and felt safe. Take time to stop along the way at Elk Grove. We look forward to doing it again this August :)

Stitch35 said:
From what I remember most of it is a two lane but a few sections are one lane. Biggest thing about that route is bathrooms can be a bit far apart. Other then that it was a beautiful drive and felt safe. Take time to stop along the way at Elk Grove. We look forward to doing it again this August :)

Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it! I don't have a map in front of me so I am not sure about this but, did you go through San Francisco over the GoldenGate bridge? If so, what did you do about the toll and was the traffic and driving crazy- especially on the south side of the bridge to continue on the 101.

I’ve done this drive often - have friends in Rogue River.

You are emphasizing “safest” and asking what you need to worry about - what
are your concerns? Winding, two lane roads? Carjackers? Getting robbed when
you stop for a rest? Running out of gas? From reading the replies I get the
impression people don’t know what you mean - I know I don’t.

I don't have a map in front of me so I am not sure about this but, did you go through San Francisco over the GoldenGate bridge? If so, what did you do about the toll and was the traffic and driving crazy- especially on the south side of the bridge to continue on the 101.
Yes. If you take Hwy 101 south you will cross the Golden Gate just before
you reach San Francisco. What you do about the toll is pay it when you
reach the TOLL BOOTHS. The traffic patterns change throughout the day.
Sometimes it's crazy, sometimes there is no traffic and everything in-between.

I’ve done this drive often - have friends in Rogue River.

You are emphasizing “safest” and asking what you need to worry about - what
are your concerns? Winding, two lane roads? Carjackers? Getting robbed when
you stop for a rest? Running out of gas? From reading the replies I get the
impression people don’t know what you mean - I know I don’t.

Yes. If you take Hwy 101 south you will cross the Golden Gate just before
you reach San Francisco. What you do about the toll is pay it when you
reach the TOLL BOOTHS. The traffic patterns change throughout the day.
Sometimes it's crazy, sometimes there is no traffic and everything in-between.

Funny, when I read it like that, it kind of makes me sound paranoid!! :rotfl2:
I am driving my DH completely crazy with my nervousness!:faint:
Thank you so much for responding. I guess I am just all over nervous as we have never really been on a long road trip before. Not sure there is one specific thing that worries me most, I just stress to much!! :blush:

I would have to say that most of the random areas along your potential routes are going to be safe. Just like any random area could be potentially unsafe.

Since you don't have any set plans yet, if you end up in an area where it looks unsafe, just keep going until the next few exits or town over. Your basic common sense should help you decide in what you feel is safe or not.

In the rural parts, you probably would want to find where you are staying before it gets too dark.

A good example is, Stockton is not an necessarily an unsafe town. There are parts that have high crime, but I doubt those areas would be of any interest to you or have any hotels. The hotels areas there along I-5 look perfectly safe to me.

I would have to say that most of the random areas along your potential routes are going to be safe. Just like any random area could be potentially unsafe.

Since you don't have any set plans yet, if you end up in an area where it looks unsafe, just keep going until the next few exits or town over. Your basic common sense should help you decide in what you feel is safe or not.

In the rural parts, you probably would want to find where you are staying before it gets too dark.

A good example is, Stockton is not an necessarily an unsafe town. There are parts that have high crime, but I doubt those areas would be of any interest to you or have any hotels. The hotels areas there along I-5 look perfectly safe to me.

Totally agree! Use basic common sense.

I think the confusion is coming in from the fact you take 199 from grants pass. They are telling you not to take i-99 two different roads :)

Thanks, Stitch35 for clarifying this. I thought the OP meant I-99 and not 199.

Sorry for the confusion!

Funny, when I read it like that, it kind of makes me sound paranoid!! :rotfl2:
I am driving my DH completely crazy with my nervousness!:faint:
Thank you so much for responding. I guess I am just all over nervous as we have never really been on a long road trip before. Not sure there is one specific thing that worries me most, I just stress to much!! :blush:

Don't be nervous! Traveling by car in California is wonderful! It also wonderful traveling through other parts of the US. If you are taking the windy roads along the coast and tend to be carsick, use dramamine or stop ever so often to take beautiful pics of the coast.

Also, try to stop at the Marine Headlands right before you get to the Golden Gate Bridge.

It's so beautiful, plus you can get a good pic from the North side along with the view of the City.

We live 20 mins. from Santa Cruz and nestled in a Redwood Forest. We love it and we hope you and your DH have a wonderful drive and vacation!

RSWA2 said:

So true! Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter