• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where is the worst place you have ever slept?

Oh I almost forgot, maybe I’m blocking it out.

Last fall my extended family went to an orphanage turned mission dorm for a reunion. We aren’t picky but man that was rustic. Lots of beds but mattresses were stained. We brought our own sheets and I left mine there as a “donation”. 😁

Oh I almost forgot, maybe I’m blocking it out.

Last fall my extended family went to an orphanage turned mission dorm for a reunion. We aren’t picky but man that was rustic. Lots of beds but mattresses were stained. We brought our own sheets and I left mine there as a “donation”. 😁

I've done rustic. I rather like it as long as the sheets are clean and anything that's broken gets fixed.

The floor of the dome car on the Coast Starlight train. Had an overnight trip and couldn't sleep sitting in the seat even though it reclined a bit. I probably could now. Ended up laying on the floor of the dome car but just dozed a tiny bit. Go up and had first breakfast as the sun cam up on the snowy hills at the California / Oregon border. It was beautiful.

Last edited:

Went to a weekend stay over wedding at a ranch once. Place had just started doing events. The mattress in our room had a huge hole in one side and looked like rats had nested in it. We ended up sleeping in our car.

I've done rustic. I rather like it as long as the sheets are clean and anything that's broken gets fixed.
Its in the mountains of Kentucky. My cousins volunteer there. The people in that area are really poor. There is a preschool housed there. The cafeteria building was very well equipped and clean. We had access to that area where we all had a big meal. We had a great time in spite of the sleeping arrangements and the fact it was in the 90s the whole September weekend.

Its in the mountains of Kentucky. My cousins volunteer there. The people in that area are really poor. There is a preschool housed there. The cafeteria building was very well equipped and clean. We had access to that area where we all had a big meal. We had a great time in spite of the sleeping arrangements and the fact it was in the 90s the whole September weekend.

When I was a kid we did rustic because my parents were frugal. Really ironic because the places we used to stay in Tahoe for $16 a night 40 years ago are now about $250 a night because they're considered trendy. I have a lot of fond memories of those days. Quite a few of those budge style cabins I've stayed in over the years are now gone or have been dressed up.

Possibly the most rustic place I remember was the Roughrider cabins at Roosevelt Lodge in Yellowstone. Talk about rustic. This isn't my photo, but it's pretty representative. At the time it was the cheapest lodging in the entire park - I think about $61 a night back around 2005. It certainly wasn't fancy, but I woke up in the morning to an incredible sunset.

roughrider-cabin.jpg

Before we checked in I had a nice conversation with the warehouse facilities manager for the Roosevelt area. He said that his wife worked in group lodging sales, and that she got a lot of complaints from people who didn't understand the meaning of "rustic". For me it meant that our room smelled like smoke in the morning from the wood stove used to heat the room. I've stayed in similar lodging where the was a nonworking propane wall heater.

In a tent on a mat, at a beach.. surrounded by what felt like a bazillion ( really about 50 lol) scouts .. on a trip I organized. Let’s just say once and done.
And worse was honestly
At a hotel in new Smyrna Tn.. after a very long drive. Went to first floor room, window lock busted, that damp smell... but I was wiped... till I went back to the sink area and flipped the light..OMG.. cockroaches scurrying counter next to my make up bag
Yes I left the room, and the Hotel and was Fully refunded Double GROSS.. left a review for that one.

In a berth on a fishing boat. I got soooooo seasick, and it was a 2 day fishing trip. I was sick for all but the first 3 hours of it.

Not counting many nights spent trying to sleep alongside hospital beds - which I’d do again in a heartbeat to have that time back with those loved ones...... it has to be a disgusting hotel in Dunkirk, France on a coach tour to Germany. Our room was so small and disgusting I refused to take even my coat off - no chair so laid towels on top of the bed but didn’t sleep a wink - also seemed to fail emergency requirements for escape! Wrote a stinking complaint about that one!

The floor in the Atlanta airport. My flight was delayed 10 hours coming home from a work trip.

Last summer we slept at my SIL’s house. DD and I shared a bed, DS and DH shared another bed. The house has AC but they keep it hot at night, I would hear the AC turn in but it was not on for long. I kept waking up all night. The next morning I see DH and DS had a fan in their room. i know this is not the worst sleep story at all But I need to sleep cold otherwise I‘m miserable.

I was at a hotel across the street from the Madison Square Garden. Our company made the arrangements as I was going to a convention at Javitz. I lobbied for the Marriott in Times Square (and was willing to pay the difference), but our Administrative Assistant was tasked with "cutting costs". She and I never recovered after this story.

Once leaving the elevator, I looked down the eerie hallway. There was wallpaper just flopping around aimlessly, carpet that was elevated is some places, recessed in others, stained throughout. It was like being in a real-life episode of American Horror Story or The Shining. The window to my room was cracked/smashed, the cardboard (a.k.a. pillow as in singular) was atrocious. The bathroom required me to close the door from the inside just so I could make it to the shower. The carpet was brown with neutral beige spots....actually it was the inverse, but I couldn't distinguish what was dirt and what was something else. The entry door had about 4 different colors and layers of paint that were never sanded between coats. The room had the odor as if someone just smoked a carton of cigarettes and never turned on the fan/heat/ac. The furniture was pressed wood, chipped and off-hinges with free wobbles.

The best part? It was ~$400/night. I got a "free" upgrade on the second night as I got two pieces of cardboard to sleep on, a bathroom I could now turn around in and a room that only smelled like 2 packs of cigarettes/day were smoked in the room. And this room only had 1 or 2 mousetraps. If you Google Map the MSG, you'll see the hotel.

Someone posted this and is very accurate about this hotel:

"Filthy stained carpet, flimsy sheet, thin blanket, no extra ones in wardrobe, bed platform had dog pee up it, a creature was digging through wall, under door and throwing rocks into room. "

It was a disaster.

Last edited:
The floor in the Atlanta airport. My flight was delayed 10 hours coming home from a work trip.

Done that too, overnight due to missing a flight weather related, no food (other than vending), no blanket and no hotel rooms. I remember the cleaning machines banging into the two plastic chairs I made into a "bed" with my laptop bag as a pillow as a sort of torture to keep me awake. Brutal.

The WORST ever was called "Honey in the Rock" motel in Beckley, WV. I was driving from NC to OH with DD, who was about 4 at the time (so maybe 23 years ago). It was late at night, pouring rain, and there was "something" going on in the area so all the hotels were booked. I'd been driving for about 9 hours and was exhausted. This place was a NIGHTMARE. Filthy, smokey, the rugs were crunchy, and there was no way we were using the tub/shower. I put toilet paper on the seat to use the toilet and got towels and blankets from the car to cover the bedspread so we could sleep. As soon as I got about 5 hours sleep, we were OUT of there. It was filthy, disgusting, gross.

Sounds very similar to our experience on HWY 101 in Oregon. I can't even remember exactly where because I think we all blocked it from our minds....lol We were driving home to So Cal along the coast from a trip on the WA coast. We were with my BIL and SiL....BIL did not want to stop when hubby started suggesting we find a place....he said it was too early to stop. So of course as it got later and we tried to start looking, we couldn't find a single availability and there was nowhere convenient to cut across to the 5 fwy where it might have been easier to find something. We ended up at this place that looked decent, hubby and BIL went in and came out laughing saying we were probably going to hate it...the front desk person said they had one room they would be willing to rent but it wasn't in the best shape(that was an understatement). She said they weren't ready for the "season" yet but now that I think about it, it was right before the 4th of July so that probably was already the "season".lol She offered them to check it out first but they took it anyway without looking. The first thing we saw was this giant fridge and the freezer was duck tapped closed...the clerk told hubby and BIL we were welcome to use the fridge but the freezer was off limits....:oops: The room was so gross and dirty....it was 2 room "suite" so it had a kitchenette and it was so nasty. I didn't let hubby bring in any of our bags in case of bugs, we were just going to sleep in our clothes. One corner of the room looked like it was caving in....:oops: The bathroom was scary.... the mirror looked like it should be in a horror film. I wouldn't close the door when I had to go. lol The sheets and bedding looked clean at least...hubby, DD and I all shared one bed....lol BIL and SIL were in the other room in the other bed. We all slept maybe 4 hours and we were out of there as soon as it was sunrise. I felt better brushing my teeth in a gas station bathroom than the bathroom in the room. BIL offered hubby money for the room and did not say one word when hubby suggested when it was time to stop that night. Haha

Memorial day weekend white water rafting trip in Maine. Wearing several layers of clothes and a sleeping bag on the ground (in a tent). Shivered all night, and didn't sleep much. While the rafting was fantastic, I'll never go camping again!

I’ve done an overnight rafting trip and had the opposite weather problem. We were in Utah in the summer and it was 90 degrees in the tent and then it started raining and I was miserably hot. The rafting was great, but nope, not camping again. Hated it. The mosquitoes were the worst. So many bugs.

Thought of another one. I was on a last minute business trip and they were out of non smoking rooms so I got stuck in a smoking room and it was horrible. The stench permeated everything.

On a wooden bench at the zoo because I couldn't sleep in the classroom.we were assigned to sleep in with 40 other people. In actuality, I didn't sleep on the bench either. And I didn't have my phone or a book or anything. I was so bored I got up at 5 and got dressed and did my make up.

Battered women's shelter when I was a teenager. It was hell.

On the flip side, Ellen's Energy ride was pretty darn comfortable. Hardly any people, we all got our own row to lay down. Dark, lasted a long time. Best nap place in WDW. Too bad it's gone.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter