Where is the worst place you have ever slept?

The back of my car because my tent had flooded and soaked my sleeping bag during the Labor Day snow storm that came up from nowhere.

Oh this is easy! When I was a new bride, I went with my husband to meet my dad and some of his buddies at a fishing cabin on a lake in Ontario, Canada. I grew up going to rustic cabins on lakes in Canada and was never the kind of girl who needed a room in a Hilton to enjoy a vacation but..... My dad neglected to tell us that the sleeping arrangements at this particular cabin were as such: A common room, "bunkhouse style", in the open loft of the cabin. It was hot. The mattresses were old and lumpy. There were mosquitos IN the cabin. Oh and there were no box springs, just the mattress on the squeaky metal frame, so every time someone rolled over ... Ya. But, by far the worst part of that memorable night from 34 years ago was the constant, loud SNORING of I forget exactly how many middle-aged men all in that one loft!! I don't think I slept at all. Even my husband couldn't sleep and he was a snorer himself back then.
The next morning we rented our OWN cabin for the remainder of our stay!

Last edited:
an airport
Yes did that once too, alone, with a ten month old baby. Not so much slept but spent the night as it was 28 hour trip that included a six hour layover in Hawaii airport in the middle of the night. It was a rough trip overall, my son was just learning to walk and did not want to sit still. I didn’t sleep a wink that whole trip.

DH and I went to GB in the early 2000’s and stayed at B&Bs mostly. One evening we ended up staying over a pub. Our room was directly over the pub, so we were treated to dance music and heavy cigarette smoke until 2-3 in the morning. Pretty sure we had to pay extra for showers the next morning as well, in the shared hall bath.

It’s either that or the night it rained and our tent dropped on my head all night. I was in college, on a weeklong barrier ecology course on Ossabaw Island so there was nothing that could be done as far as replacing the tent or finding other shelter.

In Italy, room was from 1960 (and had the same bed since then), 90 degrees at night and had no AC, moths everywhere, shower was a wooden pallet, I got stuck in an elevator built also in 1960 (carved into a rock cliff) with no escape shaft...along with 25 suitcases, and there was NO STAFF ON THE PREMISES. And we were on the top of a mountain, with no working phones. Ugh. 😖

In a bathtub. My newly divorced mother could only afford an apartment that had the kitchen where she was able to set up her small bed. The bathroom was a bit larger, though not enough for furniture, so on the weekends when we visited, I slept in the bathtub, my younger sister slept in the closet and the oldest slept on a hope chest.

Fortunately little kids can make the best of most situations.

Memorial day weekend white water rafting trip in Maine. Wearing several layers of clothes and a sleeping bag on the ground (in a tent). Shivered all night, and didn't sleep much. While the rafting was fantastic, I'll never go camping again!

In an Army truck going from Gainesville, FL to Ft Rucker, AL for Reserve summer camp.

Second worst was the trip back.

an airport

When I was studying abroad I didn’t have a car and I couldn’t really afford taxis (long before Uber!) so I took the bus everywhere. Whenever my friends or family came to visit they would want me to meet them at the airport but the flights from the US always arrived around 6am and the first bus didn’t arrive at the airport until 7:30am. So I would frequently take the last bus to the airport, arrive around 11pm, and “sleep” in an airport chair until the 6am flight arrived. I still can’t believe I chose to do that!!!

My worst sleep ever though was when my husband and I were house sitting / pet sitting for his friend and we discovered that his friend was a gigantic, disgusting slob. When we got to the house it looked like a bomb had gone off, junk was everywhere, food left out on the counter, every bed had been slept in and was unmade with no clean sheets laid out for us. The cats were peeing on the carpet, it was soooooo gross. We “house sat” for one night (I had to strip a bed and wash the sheets so that we would have somewhere to sleep) and in the middle of the night a smoke detector’s battery died and the alarm went off. We ended up telling DH’s friend, or should I say, FORMER friend, that my allergies were preventing us from staying any more nights and that we would drive back every other day to check on the cats. I could not believe someone would live in filth like that- or ask someone to stay in a house in that condition!!! Why were we house sitting, to protect the roaches? A burglar wouldn’t have been able to find the valuables amid all the trash.

I had some buddies that left me in the marshes one night after drinking. Didn’t know where I was, I woke up looking at marsh grass, stood up and couldn’t see anything, I’m in my underwear, walked out of there, probably 2 miles, that night thinking
“I have the best of friends”
I’d have done it to them, just didn’t think of it.

Well, my son and daughter in law got married at a Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel. The building was an office building for 80 years, then gutted and turned into a "luxury hotel" and reopened 7 years before our stay. The first tip off to a problem was the packages of ear plugs in the room. We were on the 6th floor and the noise from outside both nights we were there was unbelievable.

Honorable mention. In my High School days, two friends and I used to go to Disneyland on a budget. Usually 3 days in the park, food, admission gas, $100 each. We stayed at the KOA which was where the current Disneyland parking structure is. We slept on the ground in sleeping bags. Worked great except the one night it rained. So all three of us had to sleep in my Pinto.

A tie:

1) ferry across the English Channel...in an upright seat, cold and wet. I had a sore neck for two weeks
2) rundown motel at the side of the road somewhere in Pennsylvania...pretty sure we were just this close to being axe-murdered so it was sleepless night

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter