Where is the Coldest placce you have ever been?

Northern Illinois. Once in the 90s in downtown Chicago I recalled a god awefull cold front. I recall it was literally too cold to walk outside. We would 7/11, Walgreen, store hop to move down a street. one could only walk a few yards before having to pop in somewhere. I also slipped and fell on this day. Scrapped my knee through my jeans, but couldnt not feel it. It was numb from the cold.

Then back in 2010 or 2011.. Christmas another one of the polar vortex type things... you couldnt go outside but we did shortyl with the kids.. with wind chill negative 20s... . My daughter got a cold allergery for week after that.. Welts would come on her face in an instant.

I've been to colder places but the coldest I've ever been for any length of time was camping on Iztaccihuatl mountain outside of Mexico City in January. We were at around 13,000 feet elevation and we could barely get a fire going because there was so little oxygen. I don't know how cold it got that night but I "slept" in a tent and I forced myself to stay awake all night because I was genuinely afraid that if I fell asleep I could literally die.

Chicago at Christmas. Seriously, I lived in Toledo Ohio which is on Lake Erie and I thought that was cold. I've been to the top of the Swiss Alps and thought that was cold. I lived in Albuquerque which gets loads of snow in the winter. I thought I knew cold. Nope, none of it was even close to Chicago at Christmas. My son was serving in the Navy and working on the base there so I visited him, I'm from Georgia. I told him after that, Mama loves you but I'm never coming back in the winter again. The wind off that lake was brutal.

we lived in Grand Forks, ND. Winters were terribleeee.

I went there last summer for work and it was lovely. It was suggested that we come back in the winter to show that our equipment still worked as advertised in the cold. I was NOT volunteering for that trip. I don't think it wound up happening anyway.

I grew up on the prairie where a winter temp of -40 isn't normal, but happens often. But I remember one January going to Vancouver for a week. The temp was just above freezing point (0C, 32F), but it was drizzling the whole time. I had long underwear on and could not get warm anywhere. Even the hotels didn't feel warm because there was so much dampness in the air. I didn't stop shivering until I landed home in that nice very dry (skin-cracking) -40 weather. I gained new respect for those who live on coasts in the winter.

Home sweet home.

The capital city of the province of Manitoba, Winnipeg is home to more than 715,000 people and is one of the coldest major cities in North America. Situated in the Canadian Prairies, Winnipeg experiences normal January lows of minus 5 to minus 9 F (minus 20 to minus 22 C).

Winnipeg is one of the five coldest cities in the world, according to the American weather website, AccuWeather.
Winnipeg made the list, along with Yellowknife, Duninka and Yakutsk Russia, and Harbin, China.
RELATED: Colorado Avalanche reporter calls Winnipeg’s weather a ‘death sentence’
Winnipeg was chosen for its cold January nights, where temperatures routinely dip down below -21 C. In the extremes, the city has dealt with weather that felt like -45 C on Feb. 18, 1966, and according to the article, -47.8 C on Dec. 24, 1879.

Did a year in school in GRAND FORKS, NORTH DAKOTA.
we lived in Grand Forks, ND. Winters were terribleeee.

And this is where I have lived for 34 years so that is my answer as well. I hate the winters but moving somewhere warmer just hasn’t worked out yet. Our son graduates from HS next year so we will start seriously looking after that.

I lived in Rochester, New York and said every winter, “I can’t live through another one of these.” My then-boyfriend and I would start many mornings in a screaming match over shoveling out the car, trapped in a six-foot tall snow drift. Memories.

Anyway I live in Pittsburgh now and the winters are super mild. I haven’t seen -20 weather in a long time.

And this is where I have lived for 34 years so that is my answer as well. I hate the winters but moving somewhere warmer just hasn’t worked out yet. Our son graduates from HS next year so we will start seriously looking after that.
I'm a military brat - so my dad was stationed at the AFB there for 2 years when I was in elementary school. I remember cold winters & very buggy summers.

I'm a military brat - so my dad was stationed at the AFB there for 2 years when I was in elementary school. I remember cold winters & very buggy summers.

And that is how I ended up here. Both my parents were AF and this was our last base before they retired. They thought it would be a good place to raise my sister and I And I suppose it was. But they have moved to FL, my sister moved to NM and I somehow married a local which has kept me here a bit longer than I originally planned.

And that is how I ended up here. Both my parents were AF and this was our last base before they retired. They thought it would be a good place to raise my sister and I And I suppose it was. But they have moved to FL, my sister moved to NM and I somehow married a local which has kept me here a bit longer than I originally planned.
Seems like they got the memo about the winters 🤣

Yellowstone National Park, specifically Old Faithful area in early January. It was 20 below during the day, about 30 below at night.

Fairbanks, AK ... -40 for three days in late January. When we were there one Christmas it was -20 along the river but only zero at our son's house (higher elevation outside of town).

California boy here. Anything below 40F is cold. Probably the coldest place I have been was Munich in January, I believe it was 0 F. Took a shower, went out, my hair froze. Again, CALIFORNIA boy.
Didn't you ever visit Saskatchewan in the winter?

I lived in Ely, MN for 5 years. I remember -48 with -60 windchill. We had to postpone or cancel the sled dog race.

Chicago, January 1982. I lived on the 10th floor of a building right off the lake. Wind chill hit -82.
My shampoo bottles on the ledge of my bathroom window froze solid. My many plants in my studio apartment just flopped over, dead and frozen. The wind was so loud, howling outside my windows in a very solid 1920s brick building. I had my winter coat, hat and gloves on, and my oven going for additional heat.

This was on a Sunday afternoon, and I thought I would freeze to death in there by morning. I called a work friend who lived with her family way on the far northwest side of the city, away from the lake, and asked if I could come stay with her. I paid precious money for a taxi and got the heck out of the Lake Shore Drive area.

I still live in a super cold zone, but that day so long ago was the worst--because I was inside and things were freezing. And my heat was always just fine in there previously. That scared me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter