Where in the plane do you like to sit?

LAST ROW window except flying with DW. She picks the row she wants with the window seat and I'm next to her.

For us….emergency exit row all the time - I like the additional leg room.

I prefer the window, but normally sit in the middle so my DD20 can sit by the window. I just squash her when I want to look outside - LOL!

Depends on the jet. When I fly out of Gainesville (mostly Delta) the ERJ sometimes had 1 seat on one side and two on the other. The single seats are fantastic.

On larger jets, I aim for the back corner against the window. I can use the restroom and stretch my legs without disturbing anyone.

Near the front and on an aisle. WAY easier to exit once you land. It probably takes 30 minutes for those near the back of the plane to retrieve their luggage from those overhead bins and you have to wait for everyone in front of you to exit. I do laugh at those who sit near the front, but put their luggage in a bin BEHIND them. Only when we land and everyone stands up in preparation to exit do they realize they will likely be one of the LAST to exit.

I don't consider any particular part of the plane safer in the event of a crash. The exact nature of each crash is different and certain types of accidents aren't survivable regardless of where you sit. That isn't a consideration for me in deciding where to sit.

Where I'd like to sit is in one of those lay-flat pods in ultra-first-class, but alas, that will never happen. We fly coach and likely always will so that means if I want to sit with DH, I'm constantly relegated to middle-seat, when the airline chooses for us. On the rare occasion that we choose to pay for advance-selection, we usually sit separately, either aisle seats one-behind the other, or one window (me) and one aisle (DH). We never choose them in the same row because that means some poor soul is trapped in between us and it's just awkward.

I hate to fly, but sometimes it’s necessary.

I prefer Row 17, window seat, due to being a bit superstitious. And if the plane is going down, I want my last view of the earth to be good, so a window is needed. For real. 👍🏻

for short flights in narrow body I prefer the window so I am first to board and have space for my carry-on. If I fly international and carry-on is not an issue then I prefer aisle as I like to get up and out when I want... though I would prefer window for the view, the aisle convience is better.

It depends on the length of the flight and if I have a layover. If it's longer than 3 hours, then it's automatically first or business, so by default, that's the front of the plane. If I have a layover and I'm in economy, then I prefer as close to the front as possible. Other than that, I don't care. Usually I prefer an aisle seat so I don't have to trouble anyone to walk around or use the restroom.

First, business, or premium economy for any flight over 90 minutes. Not enough status with any airline to get upgrades, so I willingly pay for it. I prefer window.

I used to always choose the window seat, but I now have a bum right knee that hurts if I can't move or stretch it out periodically. So now it's always an aisle seat on the left side of the plane.

Always aisle seat. I like the leg freedom, and I also have wide shoulders.

I'll usually go for emergency exit or comfort+ if the price isn't crazy.

First / Business class, ideally, but that doesn't happen much since I stopped all my business travelling years ago.

I suppose it depends on the flight and who I'm travelling with. If I'm with my wife only, I often end up in the middle, because she prefers an aisle or window (window for longer flights as it's easier to sleep). If we're travelling with our two boys, I'm often in an aisle as we usually will book one row on one side (on a typical 3 - 3 arrangement) and one additional aisle seat across from that row. My boys would usually choose the window and a middle and my wife is often across the aisle from us.

How far back doesn't matter much to me. Ideally, not the very last row, as I don't want to be right next to the bathroom (and those seats usually don't recline at all).

Front of the plane. Preferably row 2. Window for me, aisle for DW so she can hear the Flight Attendant better.

We fly United mostly. We have enough miles to get the automatic upgrade to Premium Economy. For long-haul flights I think I will always do Business Class from now on. Did it once and will never go back even if it means our international trips are further apart. My body is too old and creaky to sit upright for 8-12 hours.

Last edited:
Aisle seat so I have the aisle on my left side. I have some nerve issues in my left leg and foot, and they get tired. I'm more comfortable letting my left leg be near an open area.

Last edited:
In Comfort+ or those rows near the front, I prefer window seats and when flying in to DCA I like seat A since sometimes there is a nice view of the National Mall and monuments. I do not like being in the back of the plane. No reason as to why, just not a fan. When I fly with DBF, he has to sit in aisle seats so I usually end up in the middle. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter