Where have all the dining options gone?

ChrissyLou

Sufferin' Sassafras!
Haven't been to the parks since 2018 -- covid and one thing or another has kept us away and finally we are going next week. Made dining reservations a while back, but in relooking at menus it seems like entree choices are quite limited. For example, Carnation Cafe has removed the Chicken Fried Chicken and Meatloaf (former mainstays) and other menus have only a few selections, some of which just seem quite odd (do people really eat some of this stuff?) maybe it's just me, but I'm rethinking reservations at all for counter service so we can have more options.

Haven't been to the parks since 2018 -- covid and one thing or another has kept us away and finally we are going next week. Made dining reservations a while back, but in relooking at menus it seems like entree choices are quite limited. For example, Carnation Cafe has removed the Chicken Fried Chicken and Meatloaf (former mainstays) and other menus have only a few selections, some of which just seem quite odd (do people really eat some of this stuff?) maybe it's just me, but I'm rethinking reservations at all for counter service so we can have more options.
You should have seen it when things first opened after Covid....the menus were rough. I feel like Carnation Cafe hasn't really recovered yet (I'm a sucker for their breakfast and it just isn't the same with Oscar's potatoes). I do find that for sit down ressie I veer toward the higher end because I know I'll still get quality. (Carthay, Napa Rose, Lamplight, Naples, Craftsman and Trader Sam's.)

Agreed. It’s not the same. Our next trip we only have 2 reservations for the entire time. We plan to eat counter service, snacks, Earl of Sandwich and off property more. A lot of times, there’s only one or two things we would eat on the menus now.

Yes, some of the menus have definitely changed. I think you'd be fine doing mostly counter service. I always make loads of ADRs and end up cancelling half of them once we arrive.

I love sit-down. It's a big part of my trip enjoyment! It doesn't have to mean ADRs, though. Hearthstone Lounge & Craftsman Grill at GCH are both great and take walk-ups. There are some really good options in DTD (Ballast Point, Earl of Sandwich, Naples, for instance). I personally love Carthay, both the lounge and the main dining, and those are pretty easy to get reservations for. I'm not sure how easy it is to get a walk up but we've always managed to get one.

I love the Magic Key lounge if that's an option for you.

We do mostly counter service as I think there are more and better choices to make everyone happy. There also are so many good snack foods at the park that if we added table service I'm not sure we'd get everything in.

I had noticed this too, while planning for our March trip. DS is a very picky eater. We usually do at least one TS/day. He can usually get modifications at a TS; whereas, QS is not so obliging. I love the QS at DLR though; it's usually so much better than WDW.

We do mostly counter service as I think there are more and better choices to make everyone happy. There also are so many good snack foods at the park that if we added table service I'm not sure we'd get everything in.

Always loved Bengal BBQ, always will. Banyan Skewers are bangarang.

(P.S: That's my interpretation of Counter Service; an eatery that you order what you want at the cashier, they give it to you further down, and you find a seat and enjoy)

Last edited:
It is definitely not the same. More expensive and many favorites were missing when were there in April. I used to love having the house salad, pommes frites, and be at Cafe Orleans, and none of that was even in the menu.
We are back for a few days in December and for the first time in probably 20 years we are going to Disney park with no sit down dining plans.

It is definitely not the same. More expensive and many favorites were missing when were there in April. I used to love having the house salad, pommes frites, and be at Cafe Orleans, and none of that was even in the menu.
We are back for a few days in December and for the first time in probably 20 years we are going to Disney park with no sit down dining plans.

It was well over 20 years ago but I remember eating once at the Pizza Planet in Tomorrowland. I remember it being absolutely terrible, even below Chuck E Cheese grade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter