Where does the monorail go exactly

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
This is going to sound like the stupidest question, but where exactly does the monorail go in DLR resort? Like could we potentially get to one of the hotels from there. On the app I see it goes through GCH, but anywhere else?

Thanks.
BH5

This is going to sound like the stupidest question, but where exactly does the monorail go in DLR resort? Like could we potentially get to one of the hotels from there. On the app I see it goes through GCH, but anywhere else?

Thanks.
BH5
The station is in Downtown Disney near the DLH. The other station is in Tomorrowland in DL. It doesn't stop anywhere else, including GCH even though it goes through there.

For us WDW the monorail is transportation and DLR, it is more of a ride. It goes from a stop in Downtown Disney to a stop in Tomorrowland- that is it. It goes past GCH, but it doesn't go "through" the inside like the Contemporary, and it doesn't stop.

If you don't mind not walking down Main Street and want to start your day near its stop, if the line isn't huge it is a good option coming from the DLH. You scan your park ticket at the station where you get in line to get on the monorail. So basically you have "entered" the park once you scan in at the station. Back in the Max Pass days, if we were not getting to the park at opening, we would do it so we could get to booking our first max pass for the day as you had to scan in to book.

You can also take it from DL to save some steps to DLH-- BUT if you have to walk through the park to get there you aren't saving many steps, and if the line is long it would have been faster to have just walked to DLH. There have been times I have just wanted to ride the monorail- and DH stands in line complaining that we could have already been back at DLH if we had just walked.

So it’s actually like a ride? That’s so interesting to me.
Yes its just really a ride, not a main transportation option. I usually do the round trip from Tomorrowland as a time out, chill out time.

There are only two stations
  1. Tomorrowland
  2. Downtown Disney
Route 1 Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney
The Monorail leaves Tomorrowland and goes over a part of the Autopia track. It then runs parallel to Harbor Boulevard for a bit before crossing the Harbor Boulevard pedestrian entrance.
It then goes into California Adventures park and The Grand California Hotel before stopping at Downtown Disney.

Route 2 Downtown Disney To Tomorrowland

Leaving Downtown Disney Station, the Monorail crosses over Disney Drive , then loops back to Disney property, running parallel to the tram drop off / pick up area at Downtown Disney.
It then goes across The Esplanade in front of the Disneyland main park entrance before crossing over the transportation area and some backstage areas and again parallel to Harbor Boulevard.
It then loops over Autopia and Finding Nemo lagoon, up to almost at Its A Small World.
It then goes down the side of Fantasyland, around The Materhorn and back into the Tomorrowland Station.

Something else to consider is that, unlike at WDW, the full monorail line is considered within the boundaries of the parks. You have to scan your park ticket to even board in DTD. It does not start operating until the parks are open. And it's fairly unreliable in terms of availability so I never recommend it at park open.

For us WDW the monorail is transportation and DLR, it is more of a ride. It goes from a stop in Downtown Disney to a stop in Tomorrowland- that is it. It goes past GCH, but it doesn't go "through" the inside like the Contemporary, and it doesn't stop.

If you don't mind not walking down Main Street and want to start your day near its stop, if the line isn't huge it is a good option coming from the DLH. You scan your park ticket at the station where you get in line to get on the monorail. So basically you have "entered" the park once you scan in at the station. Back in the Max Pass days, if we were not getting to the park at opening, we would do it so we could get to booking our first max pass for the day as you had to scan in to book.

You can also take it from DL to save some steps to DLH-- BUT if you have to walk through the park to get there you aren't saving many steps, and if the line is long it would have been faster to have just walked to DLH. There have been times I have just wanted to ride the monorail- and DH stands in line complaining that we could have already been back at DLH if we had just walked.
you sure about that? it very much goes through the GCH

you sure about that? it very much goes through the GCH

The monorail goes though the little court yard which is just down from the Downtown Disney entrance at The Grand California. It only passes through on the journey from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney.

I honestly don't understand why it's not transportation between the hotels and the parks. SO much potential to upsell their resorts wasted.
Originally, when there was just the DLH, it did serve that purpose to a certain degree. But remember, we’re talking about a significantly smaller footprint than at WDW.

The distance from the Downtown Disney Station to the main gate is just a couple min walk. There isn’t really a need for transportation over such a short distance.

Originally, when there was just the DLH, it did serve that purpose to a certain degree. But remember, we’re talking about a significantly smaller footprint than at WDW.

The distance from the Downtown Disney Station to the main gate is just a couple min walk. There isn’t really a need for transportation over such a short distance.
It's not really about distance, it's about convenience and hotel perks. Paradise Pier for example would be (at least for me) a more desirable hotel if I could board the monorail right there and it would take me to Tomorrowland. It would be even better if they added a DCA stop.

Never mind logistics, I don't have the map memorized to say if it would even be possible but it would still be pretty cool.

It's not really about distance, it's about convenience and hotel perks. Paradise Pier for example would be (at least for me) a more desirable hotel if I could board the monorail right there and it would take me to Tomorrowland. It would be even better if they added a DCA stop.

Never mind logistics, I don't have the map memorized to say if it would even be possible but it would still be pretty cool.
That’s fair, and I do agree that it would be a whole lot more of a perk if it had stops at each hotel and DCA to allow direct park access.

As it is though, it’s really more of a ride than a true transportation option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter