Where do you stop if you drive

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
I haven’t driven to WDW in quite along time and when we did do it we drove all the way From just north of Toronto.

we are older now. 😉 and hubby wants to do the drive over 2 days.

on the way down we plan on stopping in Walterboro but not sure about the way home. We definitely want to get up into PA. thinking somewhere in the Washington, PA area.

Anyone familiar with this area? Just looking for a place for the night.

thank you
Kim

We’re just north of Toronto too. It looks like we do shorter days than you do. We do two days down and three days on the way back. On our trip in October we stayed in Rock Hill, SC on the way down and again for our first night on the way back. The second night was in Washington, PA. We add the extra night on the way back because we tend not to leave Disney until mid morning.

Both of your stops are about 15 hours on the road. Definitely possible.

Thank you! Ya we plan to leave about 2am both ways

where do you stop in Washington, PA? Looks like a lot of hotels just want to make sure we are in a safe area.

Kim

We leave around 5 am on the way down.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn. I collect Hilton points and I’ve found Hampton Inns to have a consistent quality where ever I stay.

The only other suggestion I have is to order a toll transponder. Either a SunPass Pro or the New York state one. Both work in all of the states on the route. Cheaper than paying the mail in fee in New York and it let us use the express lanes in Charlotte and Orlando.

Thank you, actually we are planning on getting one when we pop over to the States in the summer

Is the Hampton you stayed at 119 Murtland Avenue?

Kim

If you have trouble finding a hotel in WAPA, it's really only a 45 minute to 1 hour drive to Pittsburgh which has plenty of hotels. My sister went to school just over the border in West Virginia so when my family would visit we would usually stay up near Pittsburgh. There are quite a few hotels that are near the highway and still outside of the city.

We’re just north of Toronto too. It looks like we do shorter days than you do. We do two days down and three days on the way back. On our trip in October we stayed in Rock Hill, SC on the way down and again for our first night on the way back. The second night was in Washington, PA. We add the extra night on the way back because we tend not to leave Disney until mid morning.

Both of your stops are about 15 hours on the road. Definitely possible.
Ahem…just wanted to let you know that we locals call it ‘Rock Thrill’….😜

Thanks all, I was lucky to get into the Hampton. I was surprised on the price. Half of our SC stay :)

Thanks for the recommendation!!!!

Thank you, actually we are planning on getting one when we pop over to the States in the summer

Is the Hampton you stayed at 119 Murtland Avenue?

Kim
No need to wait till your across. I ordered one this Feb and had it delivered 1st of March. Took it down March break,,no issues,,you can use it at the border as well.
No help as to where to stop as I drive straight thru, maybe rest my eyes for an hour at a rest stop,, but good to go from there.
I will say, we did stop for 2 days at Hilton Head,,,we are DVC,,great rest stop and if leaving at 2am then can for sure make it in time for dinner there at Skull Creek,,,,great food.

No need to wait till your across. I ordered one this Feb and had it delivered 1st of March. Took it down March break,,no issues,,you can use it at the border as well.
No help as to where to stop as I drive straight thru, maybe rest my eyes for an hour at a rest stop,, but good to go from there.
I will say, we did stop for 2 days at Hilton Head,,,we are DVC,,great rest stop and if leaving at 2am then can for sure make it in time for dinner there at Skull Creek,,,,great food.
Did you order the Sunpass or the New York one and did you have it delivered to Canada. I have an old Sun pass transponder but not the one that works outside of Florida.

Did you order the Sunpass or the New York one and did you have it delivered to Canada. I have an old Sun pass transponder but not the one that works outside of Florida.
sunpass Pro so it will work everywhere, yes I live just north of Toronto and delivered reg mail....If only 407 was as inexpensive as the US tolls

We always stop in Wytheville Virginia on the way home. A number of good hotels to choose from. Holiday Inn Express is the one we most often choose.

sunpass Pro so it will work everywhere, yes I live just north of Toronto and delivered reg mail....If only 407 was as inexpensive as the US tolls
Amen to that! The NC tolls at Charlotte are getting up there, but we did the entire length of the I-4W Express through Orlando at around 9:00pm on Saturday for $3. There was a crash (they don't have accidents in FL) in the regular lanes, so it was well spent! I was shocked how many people will sit in a traffic jam instead of paying a cheap toll. I think our last cross Toronto trip on the 407 was about $30?

We have the SunPass Pro now too, had it mailed to us here and it took a bit more than two weeks to arrive via USPS/CP IIRC.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack but what do we need to get for the tolls? You can't just pay cash for them anymore? We will be driving from Montreal for an end of October trip.

I know from driving across New York State to Maine that there were no longer any cash toll booth there. I did not have a transponder and received a bill in the mail. If you have transponder it is less expensive.

We are flying to Florida next month and I will purchase a Sunpass + transponder as I plan to drive down in the near future.

Sorry to hijack but what do we need to get for the tolls? You can't just pay cash for them anymore? We will be driving from Montreal for an end of October trip.
Some places still take cash..not many..but the sunpass pro is a small device you attach to your windshield and lets you go thru and bills you automatic.
Order online and delivers in about 2,3 weeks...set up the account with min 10us dollars and good to go.

It's Toll by plate most of the way down from Montreal at least the I87/I95 way. I've had a NY EZPass since before the pandemic and it works great.

For the 79/77 route, the tolls on I90 are mail in or transponder. The express lanes through Charlotte and Orlando are transponder only. You don’t have to use these but they saved a lot of time for us. There are cash options at the rest. You can also use the transponder to pay the toll on the Peace Bridge when entering Canada.

I ordered the Florida SunPass pro and it arrived in a couple of weeks. We’re going to use it again on our next trip where we’re flying down and getting a rental car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter