• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do the kids go?

That’s awesome! I’m so glad she is doing so well. ❤

I have a 7 year old, and two 5 year olds. My five year olds are mostly playing, and doing very little school. They will be in Kindergarten in the fall.

Most of my angst around this topic centers around my autistic 5 year old. He really needs to be in school around his peers to continue growth and development. All of his therapies have stopped. My other two kids will be fine - but my worry for his future is very real and scary right now.

Was your 5 year old in a public preschool/headstart program? If so, they should be offering online consults, at least.

Was your 5 year old in a public preschool/headstart program? If so, they should be offering online consults, at least.

No, he goes to a private school for kids both typical and disabled. His therapists are offering consults and I am doing those - but it’s not the same, and he just doesn’t respond to Mom and Dad as therapist well.

Why do you say this? My children learned quite well at home - they could read second grade level in kindergarten, write their names, etc, do simple addition and subtraction. Parents are quite able to teach their kids, unless they are severely learning-disabled themselves. So much wiring of the brain starts before formal schooling. Aren't parents doing any teaching with their babies, toddlers, and preschoolers?

I think that’s wonderful that your kids did so well. However, I don’t think all parents are equipped nor understand how nor have the patience to homeschool. It doesn’t mean they are learning-disabled. It’s just not for everyone, and that’s OK.

I do think most parents are always informally teaching their kids. But informal teaching after work and on weekends is much different then forced homeschooling where your kids can go nowhere or see no one. I’m sure when your kids were homeschooled they were still getting out into the world and interacting with the world and their peers - that’s what I was referring to when I said kids don’t thrive in this environment. I didn’t mean homeschooling as it was in the past, I meant being totally isolated from peers and the world.

Totally disagree. Young children do not learn well at home, totally isolated from their peers. So much of early childhood education is social. You just can’t duplicate that at home, even with siblings. Additionally, many parents are not equipped to teach their children properly, even with “help” from schools. Of course there will be students who can and do thrive in this type of school environment - but I think most will not.
And I respectfully disagree with your assessment/opinion. I'm not "homeschooling" DGD. Haven't the patience, inclination, or interest. She interacts with her classmates and teachers during normal school hours. I am however interested in her developing a true joy in learning simply for the fun of it.
True she can't get up and go to cultural institutions currently but she can online and the time is well spent as it's piqued her interest in places she has never visited before and continued her interest in places she has. There are advantages and disadvantages to many ways of learning and fortunately DGD is adept at both. To my way of thinking the biggest disadvantage to online learning is the need for a consistent internet connection which I was surprised to learn is missing from many Americans' homes.

?
How about hiring some of the college kids who no longer have internships/jobs to watch your children when you have to go back to work?

Until there is an accurate availability to test people who are positive and currently has COVID-19, versus those who have had it and may be currently immune for a time to getting it again or infecting other people, and one can differentiate the two, one may accidentally hire someone who is asymptomatic and bring the virus into the home.

The virus may be insidious to get rid of once it enters the home. While the kids might not get it, or fatally die from it, one would be bringing in a person who is touching and potentially spreading it everywhere: the TV remote control, the refrigerator handle, the light switch, the milk carton, aerosolizing countertops while talking, etc.

The NY Governor's own brother had Covid-19 for about 5 weeks. He's normally very physically fit, but the virus kicked his butt as he relapsed a couple times with fever & other symptoms. He had been quarantining in the family's basement, while his wife was bringing him trays of food and leaving them at the top step. He'd go up, get the food, go back down, and they'd each sit, her at the top, him at the bottom, and they'd talk & spend time together that way. Even though she was very cautious to wash hands and items, disinfect, etc., she ended up coming down with COVID-19 herself. Being female, and maybe only being micro-dosed with COVID-19, she got over it much faster.

They both finally tested negative this week. He still has some ways to go physically recovering in the aftermath. It really ravages some bodies. Males more than females. NOW, they found out, a day or so ago, their 14 year old son has tested positive for COVID-19. :eek: :faint: Not something you want to risk bringing into the home. :scared:

Last edited:
Maybe one parent could work and one can stay home. What do parents do during vacation, sick kids day, summer, snowstorm? There is no one magical solutuin that can work for everyone.

And I respectfully disagree with your assessment/opinion. I'm not "homeschooling" DGD. Haven't the patience, inclination, or interest. She interacts with her classmates and teachers during normal school hours. I am however interested in her developing a true joy in learning simply for the fun of it.
True she can't get up and go to cultural institutions currently but she can online and the time is well spent as it's piqued her interest in places she has never visited before and continued her interest in places she has. There are advantages and disadvantages to many ways of learning and fortunately DGD is adept at both. To my way of thinking the biggest disadvantage to online learning is the need for a consistent internet connection which I was surprised to learn is missing fro many Americans.

That’s great! It sounds like she is getting a lot out of it. Our schooling situation is nothing like this at the moment with our local public school. They do a great job of in-person school - not so much distance learning.

I think very young children, which is what I have, really need that social interaction and development with peers in-person. That is mainly what I am referring to when I say I think young children learn better when they can get that still.

What did they do with their kids during vacations and summers before this started? It is also possible that one of the parents can still work from home or they can switch off or family can help. I like the idea of college students, especially ones who are education majors, taking care of the kids.

What did they do with their kids during vacations and summers before this started? It is also possible that one of the parents can still work from home or they can switch off or family can help. I like the idea of college students, especially ones who are education majors, taking care of the kids.

I already answered this once in here. Summer camp and daycare.

Until there is an accurate availability to test people who are positive and currently has COVID-19, versus those who have had it and may be currently immune for a time to getting it again or infecting other people, and one can differentiate the two, one may accidentally hire someone who is asymptomatic and bring the virus into the home.

The virus may be insidious to get rid of once it enters the home. While the kids might not get it, or fatally die from it, one would be bringing in a person who is touching and potentially spreading it everywhere: the TV remote control, the refrigerator handle, the light switch, the milk carton, aerosolizing countertops while talking, etc.

The NY Governor's own brother had Covid-19 for about 5 weeks. He's normally very physically fit, but the virus kicked his butt as he relapsed a couple times with fever & other symptoms. He had been quarantining in the family's basement, while his wife was bringing him trays of food and leaving them at the top step. He'd go up, get the food, go back down, and they'd each sit, her at the top, him at the bottom, and they'd talk & spend time together that way. Even though she was very cautious to wash hands and items, disinfect, etc., she ended up coming down with COVID-19 herself. Being female, and maybe only being micro-dosed with COVID-19, she got over it much faster.

They both finally tested negative this week. He still has some ways to go physically recovering in the aftermath. It really ravages some bodies. Males more than females. NOW, they found out, a day or so ago, their 14 year old son has tested positive for COVID-19. :eek: :faint: Not something you want to risk bring into the home. :scared:

Actually, he wasn't quarantined the entire time - he was definitely sick, no doubt, but this was actually amusing
( Not the fact that he was sick)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/chris-cuomo-and-cnn-stage-a-fake-coronavirus-resurrection

?
How about hiring some of the college kids who no longer have internships/jobs to watch your children when you have to go back to work?

I'm personally not letting anyone who I do not know/trust watch my child out of necessity and lack of options. Just because my neighbor's daughter is out of college....that's not a viable option for a lot of people.

Why do you say this? My children learned quite well at home - they could read second grade level in kindergarten, write their names, etc, do simple addition and subtraction. Parents are quite able to teach their kids, unless they are severely learning-disabled themselves. So much wiring of the brain starts before formal schooling. Aren't parents doing any teaching with their babies, toddlers, and preschoolers?

That is great that you had the privilege of time to be able to provide an at home education to support them in school. They did go to school though right? What about parents who do not have the bandwidth to do as you have suggested? Homes where both parents work, if there are two parents, or one parent works two jobs. Public schools are a place where everyone has a shot at education (for the most part) to suggest that the same type of education can happen in the home is a very biased and one sided outlook. Not every home is a safe space for children. Not ever home has the support required for learning. And even where that support exists, there is a massive amount of value in the education of socialization among peers. Not anything you can quantify with a test - but learning how to interact with children their own age. That has value and that's not happening at home.

Some daycares have remained open. One of my coworkers had to find a new daycare for her daughter as both she and her husband are deemed essential. Another friend is a nurse and her kids are in daycare too. I think some day cares are only accepting children whose parents have to work right now.

This is our daycare. In order to meet the mandated changes for CoVid, capacity had to be greatly reduced. They are only open to health care and police/fire. Any other kids, even for essential workers, had to find alternative care.

I didn't say anything about daycare in the rest of the state simply because I've no idea if it's a state or municipal initiative.
Born and raised in NYC; I no longer care what anyone else says about the city but but I had nooo idea that if I said someone who lived in say Hudson Valley resided upstate that it might irk them. To me everyplace is upstate excepting Long Island, since I'm thinking geographically, LOL.
I live in the Hudson Valley and consider it to be upstate. I was born and raised in NYC and worked there for almost 40 years, including more than 25 years after I moved upstate.

Essential workers were offered daycare, weren't they? They were given it here in MA.

Being the worst only has to do with volume of testing, for the most part. Lots of states aren't really active with testing, so there's little data coming in from them. Of course, the density of the population also plays a part, and the wide-open states will have a slower spread-rate. But don't worry, it will get there.

Bring them to work, or have one parent work from home, take different shifts, etc. Honestly, by the time most businesses are working at full capacity, the schools should be opened. What's the point of keeping them closed if people are not doing social distancing at work?

Your school district isn't still providing meals? Ours is, no questions asked.

Lots of school districts are running out of money to provide free meals.

I remember what a nightmare homework was with my DS when he was younger. There is no way in hell I wouldn't have had a nervous breakdown by this point in trying to keep him on task and current with schoolwork. Not everyone has perfect children, or perfect parents.

What daycares are going to be taking kids 6-11/12 year olds? You know that age where they’re in school all day, maybe going to an after school program but too young to still stay home alone all day. Daycares in my area don’t take kids that age. They stop at 5.

I assume if school is closed summer camps will be closed too. Oh and summer camp doesn’t start until school let’s out Which for schools in the northeast is June sometime.

Cuomo knows the demographic of his people. This issue is going to be huge for nyc.

people say ask friends and family to help. Everyone in my family works. I’m not friends with any stay at home moms. My grandma doesn’t work and she watched my kids when they were little but she’s older now and can’t watch small children anymore.

What daycares are going to be taking kids 6-11/12 year olds? You know that age where they’re in school all day, maybe going to an after school program but too young to still stay home alone all day. Daycares in my area don’t take kids that age. They stop at 5.

I assume if school is closed summer camps will be closed too. Oh and summer camp doesn’t start until school let’s out Which for schools in the northeast is June sometime.

Cuomo knows the demographic of his people. This issue is going to be huge for nyc.

people say ask friends and family to help. Everyone in my family works. I’m not friends with any stay at home moms. My grandma doesn’t work and she watched my kids when they were little but she’s older now and can’t watch small children anymore.

The after care I used when I was working had holiday/school break drop in and summer camp for kids all the way up to middle school. I guess it just depends.

It was also a regular daycare and preschool.

Actually, he wasn't quarantined the entire time - he was definitely sick, no doubt, but this was actually amusing
( Not the fact that he was sick)

Chris mentioned on some interview that he had been standing in his driveway with his family. I assume, socially distancing from them. he said some irate biker guy drove by, recognized him, stopped and started yelling at him for being COVID-19 positive and not wearing a mask while outside, even mentioning that it is his brother, the Governor's executive order, and they got into a verbal yelling match.

But, the NY Governor's executive order has never been that one needs to wear a mask outdoors all the time. I watch his news briefing every day. For 3 days, he had to explain how & when people need to wear a mask, as upstate NYers are going, "WHYYYYY do we need to wear a mask when we barely have cases???" :confused3 And people from NYC might have heard the mayor say something different. :confused: The executive order is only that when one is out in public and cannot maintain a social distance of 6 ft, to have the mask ready to slip on. But, if one is not in that situation, like out hiking with no one close by, then one does not have to have the mask on.

Someone took a pic of George Stepanopolis, who had tested positive, while he was clearly out walking alone, no one even within 8 ft of him, and he had on a mask, had it down around his neck. But, people were criticizing him for not having his mask up. He has since said, he's no longer positive. And if people are going to criticize, get the executive order right. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I didn't know Chris had gotten in a car and obviously in close proximity to his family. :headache: However, him going up, outside, & down the stairs, highlights he might have touched something or aerosolized something on the way back downstairs, which they could have then touched. IF he didn't infect them while he was close to them.

We are extremely lucky in this house - we are both able to WFH and I already got notice from my son's summer camp that they are canceling the first three weeks and hope to start up after the Fourth of July. I told my director that means we are home until at MINIMUM July 6th. He shrugged his shoulders and we moved on.

Same with my husband.

But I have no idea how an entire economy starts up again, where careers depend on people being in the office so to speak, when you have kids home. My kid is too old for daycare, and way too young to be home alone. Our closest family members are three states away. You can't say "well what do you do when there's summer vacation etc etc" - you plan for that guys. you plan for it.

you take off work. you have family staying over. you go on vacation. you pay for camp.

Chris mentioned on some interview that he had been standing in his driveway with his family. I assume, socially distancing from them. he said some irate biker guy drove by, recognized him, stopped and started yelling at him for being COVID-19 positive and not wearing a mask while outside, even mentioning that it is his brother, the Governor's executive order, and they got into a verbal yelling match.

But, the NY Governor's executive order has never been that one needs to wear a mask outdoors all the time. I watch his news briefing every day. For 3 days, he had to explain how & when people need to wear a mask, as upstate NYers are going, "WHYYYYY do we need to wear a mask when we barely have cases???" :confused3 And people from NYC might have heard the mayor say something different. :confused: The executive order is only that when one is out in public and cannot maintain a social distance of 6 ft, to have the mask ready to slip on. But, if one is not in that situation, like out hiking with no one close by, then one does not have to have the mask on.

Someone took a pic of George Stepanopolis, who had tested positive, while he was clearly out walking alone, no one even within 8 ft of him, and he had on a mask, had it down around his neck. But, people were criticizing him for not having his mask up. He has since said, he's no longer positive. And if people are going to criticize, get the executive order right. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I didn't know Chris had gotten in a car and obviously in close proximity to his family. :headache: However, him going up, outside, & down the stairs, highlights he might have touched something or aerosolized something on the way back downstairs, which they could have then touched. IF he didn't infect them while he was close to them.
It's the Washington Examiner. 'Nuff said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter