Where do DVCers vacation … outside of DVC?

While WDW is our go-to destination, and we find ourselves there several times throughout the year, there's a great big world out there.
Pre-covid we were more adventurous, and now we're re-starting our escapades abroad.
Our #1 travel destination (unanimous family decision) was Alaska - cruise ships are the best for views, tours or adventures for those who like to immerse themselves.
Europe is a close second. So much history.
We used to spend a lot of time in Malibu and love the left coast, but we not longer have that place. We now summer in Delaware for a variety of reasons. I have to tip my hat to DE - amazing state parks/beaches top to bottom.
I could go on, but these are our top choices.

We do a beach house on Pawleys Island (south of Myrtle Beach) every August, rent a cabin in the mountains every fall (western Maryland or West Virginia) to see the leaves change, then Disney is in winter and late spring or early summer we typically visit Europe to visit family. Sometimes we’ll change something up or add something but this is our basic year.

We like to cruise, have been to Europe 3 times, Alaska, Bahamas and the Caribbean. Bermuda is next. 3 have been Disney cruises, but too expensive now. No matter what, we always have time for Disney!!

Sadly, American Queen Voyages has recently announced that they are shutting down. We had been enjoying Mississippi and Ohio River paddlewheel cruising annually for the past several years. Presently, we are waiting for our refund to be processed for our Thanksgiving cruise out of New Orleans. I would be grateful to hear experiences from those that have traveled American Cruise Lines and Viking.

Based in the UK, so spend time in French Alps, Barcelona (amazing city) and have also been to Athens this year. A lot of our vacations are US based though… Colorado later this month, and have done amazing stays in San Diego, Yosemite, San Fran and NYC. Very luck over here to get 6 weeks vacation per year!

My favourite place to visit over the past couple of years has been Tbilisi Georgia. It takes a bit of time to get there, but it is all worth it for the culture and food. Other places I have visited in the past two years include Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Denmark, Belize, and the Cook Islands, I would recommend all but Greece, which I found crowded and too hot.

I like to have the kids travel all of Canada so when they do travel to other places in the world they can see how fortunate they are to live here. We have completed the east coast,,now on to west of Ontario. Each area is different and special. I also want them to see all 50 states, again to experience all that is out there.
They have been fortunate to have family in Greece and Scotland, so have been there a couple of times.

Sadly, American Queen Voyages has recently announced that they are shutting down. We had been enjoying Mississippi and Ohio River paddlewheel cruising annually for the past several years. Presently, we are waiting for our refund to be processed for our Thanksgiving cruise out of New Orleans. I would be grateful to hear experiences from those that have traveled American Cruise Lines and Viking.
My dad, DH and I had a wonderful cruise on ACL in April 2022, on the Columbia River, and I hope someday to do one of their Mississippi River cruises. My dad, who's now 98 years old, enjoyed it so much that he's taking my brother in law on the Columbia River and his next-door neighbors on the lower Mississippi, both later this year. I never cruised with AQV, so I can't compare the two, but you might get some comparisons on Cruise Critic - the ACL forum is here https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/796-american-cruise-lines/ and the AQV forum (which probably has comparisons on posts prior to the announcement) is here https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/623-american-queen-voyages/.

DH and I have taken two European cruises on Viking River and hope to take more, but we haven't cruised with Viking in the US, so I don't think we can help there.

Cruise, National Parks, Northern Michigan, Destin/Miramar Beach area have been some of our recent trips outside Disney

My favourite place to visit over the past couple of years has been Tbilisi Georgia. It takes a bit of time to get there, but it is all worth it for the culture and food.
How interesting! I just took a 1 hour "virtual tour" last week (internet presentation with a guide) of Tbilisi, and I kept thinking how beautiful the architecture was and how lucky anyone would be to go there!

We do another vacation every year to a destination based on aspirational travel. Last year, it was a trip to Paris to see the Notre Dame restoration. We also do a ton of travel for motorsports, trying to hit at least one Indy Car or F1 race every year. We also do a lot of overlanding and camping weekends throughout the year.

Pre-COVID (and pre-DVC), we did longer aspirational trips, including the Great Wall, Machu Picchu, Thailand and Cambodia (Angkor Wat), etc., but that level of travel has subsided a good bit.

We are "unofficially" capped at 900 points, specifically because we don't want to spend all of our vacation time at Disney, and there is a huge real world outside of Disney World.

We live in Nebraska. For the last 3 years, we had a small camper and just took little trips within a few hours of home, several times in the Spring/Summer/Fall.

We also love to visit the Black Hills in South Dakota every few years.

When we go to Disneyland, we sometimes like to drive (1500 miles each way) so while that is a part of a Disney trip...it's got other vacation aspects to it as well.

Towards the top of our list for future non-Disney trips....
Florida Keys
Smoky Mountains in TN
Colorado (not sure where exactly)
Minnesota (not sure where exactly)
Somewhere in the North Eastern U.S. since I've never been up that way.

Basically I've love to go all over the U.S. eventually. And Canada. Not much desire for international travel because I'm not a fan of long flights and much prefer road trips.

Outer Banks of NC, national parks, Europe, cruises, Alaska, NY Finger Lakes, Eastern Canada coastline - we are open to lots of different things beyond Disney.
Love Finger Lakes …. Where do you visit up there? Penn Yan Keuka/Seneca for us

We retired 13-14 years ago and decided to prioritize travel while still healthy enough. Since then: Antarctica, New Zealand and Australia, Machu Picchu and Galapagos, Alaska (DCL), Mediterranean cruise, Italy 3 times, Norway, Panama Canal (DCL), Greece Cruise (DCL), Iceland, river cruise Hungary/Austria/Germany, and just returned from Southern Africa. Just paid for a Christmas Markets Cruise in Switzerland, France, Germany next December. Most international cruises other than DCL on Ponant or Tauck. Domestically lots of road trips - California coast, Oregon coast and Columbia River, entire east coast several times, Michigan.

We have found the best international trips through university alumni groups. A lot of larger universities have travel programs. They plan everything and you have something in common with the other people.

Last continent we haven't visited is Asia so keeping an eye out for something that looks good. Domestically still want to do inner northwest states -Idaho, Montana, N&S Dakota, Wyoming, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter