Where did you meet your Significant Other

I started playing hockey in my 20’s. I was the only girl in a co-ed league one summer. I was playing in some pick-up games one night when my DH and his friend showed up. He was intrigued by the girl playing hockey and pursued me. We were friends for a year before I finally went on an actual date with him. We dated for a year, engaged for five months, and will celebrate our 18th anniversary next month.

We met online and chatted for a few weeks. We had some friends in common, and I got invited over to a game night.

Almost 15 years now.

Officially through my younger brother. The high school we graduated from was in the city championship game for football and he had a friend who would drive us to the game. I went along for the ride. I talked to my brother's friend the whole game and his girlfriend was NOT happy. We kept bumping into each other that and a year later he had dumped the girlfriend and we began dating.

We realized that our paths had crossed numerous times before that game. I ordered a model at the local hobby shop and he took the order. An ex boyfriend threatened me in the school lunchroom and he came to my rescue. Another ex boyfriend asked me to the prom and I said I needed to think about it. DH was sitting at a table with a group of friends making fun of the ex. He also came to my church's youth group with a friend and heckled me as I ran the business end of the night, I was the president, but when I got injured in a game of basketball he helped me up. We realized we were destined to be together. We've been together 41 years and married 38. My dad made me wait 3 years to get married since we got engaged so soon after we started dating. I listened to my dad.

MySpace. He sent me a random message because we seemed to have a lot of mutual friends, I noticed he had the same last name as a math teacher from my high school that had gotten fired (his uncle) We talked everyday for 6 months until I agreed to finally go out with him, now we’ve been together almost 12 years and married for 9.5 years

5th Grade - didn't really interact as he was very into sports and I not. Then like a dozen years later my brother married his half-sister and we connected at the wedding. 40 years and counting :)

Seems like most of you meet your SO at a younger age. Anyone meet their SO in their late 40’s?
A family friend met the love of her life when she was in her 60's. She was a missionary nurse, never married (and not looking to change that), and he was a long time widower. They've been very happily married over 20 years now.
Another friend met his wife on an international flight. He was in his 40's and assumed he'd never marry because he was married to his work. She was in her late 30's and wasn't looking to get married any time soon. They got delayed on the tarmac, struck up some friendly chit chat just to be nice, and by the time they landed, he was seriously thinking of marrying her. It's been over 25 very happy years now.

Last edited:
I met my wife in college back in late 1979 just before Finals Week. A mutual friend introduced us. When the next semester began we started hanging out and then started dating. She transferred to another college the next year and we gradually lost track.

We both married other people. Then in fall 1999 she found me on the old AOL message boards. We had both since divorced. We chatted for about a month and then met again and started dating again. In fall 2000 we moved in together and got married September 2011.

Last edited:
Met on a dating site. I was terribly lonely and cruising the profiles when I found him. In his profile (so as to avoid paying the site) he very carefully hid parts of his normal email. I decoded it and emailed him. Was staying with him after a week because I was rather lacking a residence. Thirteen years together this coming year!

He told me he had three rejected profiles (Because his contact info was too obvious) before they allowed that one to pass. Kinda the site's fault I was so intrigued by the puzzle. XD

First marriage: College (marching band, specifically).
Current marriage: Online.

ETA for @disneychrista - I was 40 at the time I met my second husband. I didn't have experience with online dating before that, but I actually found the experience to be quite pleasant. Met a few people, no crazies (those are sometimes easy to weed out on the site), played it safe. No complaints!

Last edited:
At work. I worked retail. A friend came in to say hi and he was with her (they knew each other from church youth group, she knew me because we went to the same highschool).

My oldest met their fiancee at a conference both were attending.

So on both cases I'd call that "everyday activities" but in each case no one was specifically looking to meet someone and form a lasting romance either

Our moms worked together and we met at the faculty Christmas party when I was 11 and he was 13. We started dating when I was 15 and we've been together ever since! :)

I met my husband of 20+ years through SciFi Conventions and finally hooked up at a party thrown by someone we both knew through the conventions. Personally, I feel the shared interest is imperative to a long term relationship.
I was married once before, who I met through work, but in the end, we didn't share anything in common except work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter