When you were a kid , on long car journeys what was the game you used to play in the car?

We would sometimes play "Herbie" or a game where you get points for a selected type of road sign that we passed. My sister got smart once and picked mile markers! Often I would just bring toys and paly with them in the back seat. One of our cars was an old land-boat, with lots of room!

In between fighting with my brother, my mom used to try to direct our attention to playing the license plate game (see how many unique states you see) I found the best results when traveling to big vacation places.

Red Car/ Blue Car. Mum said 'Go' and then we had a colour each. It was the first one to spot their colour car. dad kept score in his head but I think he made it up.

well....back when dinosaurs roamed the earth...there were billboards on highways and freeways....we would play the alphabet game by using first letter only on words on billboards........also when traveling around joshua tree....I would always creat stories of the people who lived in the desolate cabins in the 1960s...and as for long travel...living in the forsaken desert...a bridge would cause exictement. so traveling was never boring.

These days, the kids play mini punch. When we pass a mini, the first one to spot it shouts 'Mini punch' and punches the other on the arm. It always ends in tears

I either read in the car or we played the alphabet game. I think we got the letters off of license plates. Probably billboards and signs too but they were few and far between depending on where we were going.
We also often left around 4am so my brothers and I slept through a good portion of the mornings.

We played "Slug Bug" and every time you saw a volkswagon the first person who saw it called "slug bug" socked the other kid in arm.

Then at night we played Padiddle. When you saw a car with one headlight you called Padiddle, and you kept track of how many you got, who ever saw the most won.

We usually drove in the middle of no where to go to my grandparents house. I didn't do much.....back in those days no tablets or phones to play one.
Sometimes I would lay down and read.......not much else going on. I am an only child, so it was very boring

Grew up in the UK and we played “Pub Cricket”. You accumulate a total number of legs from the names of pubs that you pass (e.g. the Red Lion is 4 legs, the Prince of Wales 2, the Seven Swans 14, etc.) You are “out” when you pass a sign with no legs (the Queens Arms for example) and it is then the other team’s turn,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_cricket

We read, did crossword puzzles, sang along to my dad's oldies tapes, and fought.

We used to spend an hour or so coming up with a scavenger hunt list and then competing to find the most things on it. The best was when I found a "man with a beard and no mustache" at a rest area for the win.

I don’t remember doing any games with my family.

I do remember my mom taking me to the store so I could buy some magazines, new word game books and new coloring books (I always loved coloring). Then we would go to the library so I could pick out a book to read.

I would breath in my mom’s cigarette smoke as she tried to kill my father, brother, and myself with her second hand smoke.

I hated that game.

In between fighting with my brother, my mom used to try to direct our attention to playing the license plate game (see how many unique states you see) I found the best results when traveling to big vacation places.
Dad always drove more turned around with his arm in the back seat taking care of things between my brother and I than he did facing forwards, LOL.

And it's the license plate game for me as well. We would have our collection of stuff we brought, like the main thing, those MAD books telling a story and you had to add your own words to, but it boiled down to you had to be paying attention out the window or your brother would catch a rare west coast plate and you didn't.

We would play what we called "Punch Buggy" the first one to see a Volkswagen Beatle gave the other a punch in the arm. It usually remained friendly... The key word here is "Usually." LOL. Also when we were on the highway we would see how many truck drivers we could get to blow their horn as we or they passed. If it was dad driving it was usually us passing and if it was mom driving it was usually us being passed. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter