When you go alone, do you treat yourself or stay in a value resort?

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
With the rumor of the specials coming up this late summer early fall, I am seriously considering going solo....never did this before.
My question, if you go by yourself, do you generally stay at a value resort since you would have plenty of room, or do you stay in a deluxe and pamper yourself.
I would love to stay at the AKL but the cost seems alot for just one person.
Any input would be appreciated.

I am planning a solo trip in December, and originally thought to stay at a value resort, but after studying, reading, planning, thinking, decided to book a moderate (Port Orleans French Quarter). I'm from Mississippi, only 58 miles from New Orleans and liked what I had heard and read about POFQ. Three weeks after I booked my reservation, I was informed by my travel agent that POFQ was closing for renovations. She was able to get me an upgrade to the WL for $10.00 more per night, so I wound up with a deluxe. In the past, when I went with kids, money was tight and we cut corners everywhere we could, and did without a lot. This time is my time and I fully intend to enjoy it and pamper myself.

POR, CBR, old DI, Contemp, and All Star Movies and Music. I find all of them perfect for when I was there. It's hard to explain, but mostly to save money, All Stars are perfect, I spend little time in my room anyway. I have never been to a pool at a resort, either. I love the Contemporary Tower, but I don't think it was any more "pampering" than All Stars. I'll let you know after I spend 11 nights at AKL, even tho it's not solo, I will be able to do the pool, get room service other than Pizza, etc.

When paying cash, I've stayed at AS for my solo trips. But I usually have just used my DVC points and enjoyed OKW and BWV. I don't spend much time at the resort, so as long as I have a clean bed and hot shower, I'm fine.

I've done both. I'm a self-employed IS professional. I go each June to a conference of my peers. When a vendor asks me to speak, they put me up in the Poly. A pretty neat deal for rambling the same forty minute speech each year! But when I'm on my own dime, I stay off site.

Rating the two: It's nice to be "pampered" and alone. You sort of feel like King Solomon. However, when I'm down there on business and want to cut expenses, the act of getting to the parks seems less hassle when you have no one to coordinate with. And I find myself simply submerged in the parks, so the hotel doesn't seem important. I've found a private tree, yanked my hat down, and taken an afternoon snooze in Epcot. More so than when I come with DW and/or friends/relatives, the hotel's just a bed.

However, if someone else is paying for it, I'll take Polynesian!

Pat

I like the pampering. Any of the deluxes is fine. :) Although POFQ is great, when it's open. :(

Studios in the DVC resorts are really the best with the kitchenette. With just one person, it's like a little apartment! ;)

I'll stay at the All-Stars to save so that I can treat myself to some nice meals or some other "extras" along the way. Although if a good enough deal came along I might try a deluxe just to see what it's like. :D

I'm just usually so happy to be there that it doesn't matter where I stay!

Thank you for your replies,
I think I will stay at the AS Music since it is just me, but I will "splurg" and get a preferred building. Next year I will be going with my son, daughter, some friends and other family members and we want to stay at the POFQ and the Poly so I will get my pampering next year.

I've stayed at all 4 types of resorts-value(ASMusic and ASSports), moderate (POR), deluxe(AKL), and home-away-from-home(BCV) on solo trips. Like KarenNY, my favorite by far is a DVC studio. Before I joined DVC, I was a moderate fan. Felt too cheap at the values, too "wasteful" at deluxes, but moderates were "just right". Now, give me by DVC!

On solo trips I have tried the Mods but keep going back to AS. Really it is just ASMu 8th stay there in 4 days.
RussH

The times I go solo, I typically stay at a moderate. The last trip I was supposed to be at the Caribbean Beach, but since it was closing for renovations, I got upgraded to the Polynesian!! I have stayed solo at Port Orleans French Quarter (my FAVORITE moderate resort). I also had a few solo days prior to family coming at both the Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club. Most of the time though, it's in a moderate. However, if you see a great rate for the WL (like $114 a night) go for it!!!

Since I will be spending most of my days/nights in the parks I choose to stay at a value to save my money and actually splurge on the silver plan.

Absolutely pamper myself ! I got The Swan on gov't rate because I truly love the Epcot resorts area. If I could not get gov't rate though, I would have chosen POR. I will be solo.

BUT.......this year I am going to furthur pamper myself ! After I stay at The Swan for 3 nights, I will move my stuff over to a one bedroom Boardwalk Villa. I REALLY want that jacuzzi tub right in my room.

I have no need at all for room service, though.

before I joined DVC I didn't go solo on-site - only off site. the places I stayed at then - don't exist anymore - they were on US192 - family owned with a refrigerator and micowave.

After I joined DVC I had stayed at OKW, VWL and BWV solo using points also All Star and POR.

I almost stayed at the AKL - but the rate at the All Star (annual pass $49) was very too good to pass up.

First time at a value resort - they didn't have value resort when I joined DVC - so this was a new experience for me - I really enjoyed it!!!

I would not pay extra for the preferred view - you really don't need it - save $10 for food/drinks. What I didn't like is the food court is always crowded - I went 7:00 am (yes it was surpose to be crowded then), at 10:00am, 2:00pm, and 4:00pm - at all times it seemed to me to be crowded - and that night at 10:00pm it was possible worst....

Oh but I love room service - also as had been stated all DVC studios have a mircowave and under-the-counter refrigerator.

they also at all the pools (not just the main pool) have the spa(whirlpool).

I am a single adult who is planning a solo trip this Dec. One trip which was a last minute deal with friends a few years back for just a few days landed us at AS. Although I think the theming is very cute and the price is right, overall I don't particularly want to go there again. A lot of people will write that no matter what, they are staying on grounds and will stay at the AS. As an adult who has no children I want to stay somewhere that I feel like an adult. Sure, I go into the parks and act like a kid and laugh and ride the rides again and again, but when I come back to my hotel, I want to feel that I got a nice size room (always a king) with a quiet pool that doesn't have 50-100 excited kids swimming around. AS doesn't really provide that for me (last time there we had kids running past our run all night long). I do prefer to stay at a moderate when I can afford to and/or stay off property where I know there will be fewer kids at a hotel. Lastly, I do try to get all the amentities that I can for the money that I spend. I also tend to spend a little bit of time at the hotel either swimming or renting the movies at night through their cable system. When renting movies, if I'm laying on the bed its a sure bet that I will fall asleep, so I make sure that I am sitting on the couch or on a chair and even occasionally glancing out the window which usually is relaxing to me. You can't do this at the AS. I say spend the money for a moderate or better if you can.

I decided that since i have not been since 1980 when I was 6, I would pamper myself bigtime and stay in a Club level room with a King bed and a view facing Epcot.

I would have loved to stay at a Disney resort during this stay, but the rates for everything except the value resorts and the standards at the moderates is much more than the $209.06 a night including tax I am paying at the Swan.

Also, the fact that I can walk to and from epcot and mgm is also a plus.

I decided to take my chances at the All Star Music, the room with the Fairytale Package for 5 nights in a preferred room with tax is only $646.12 and I got airfare for $168.00 from Phila. My goal is to keep this trip as close to $1000.00 as I can.
Next year I am planning on staying at the Poly for a week or split our stay between the POFQ and the Poly, there will be 9 of us all together so I have already started saving for that trip. With that in mind I will go budget this trip and hope that I have made a good decision.

This time I am staying at the Wilderness Lodge. When I am solo, I tend to do the parks commando style. Which leaves me lots of time to be at the hotel. I love their lobby, and like to sit there to read or ppl watch. I also like to walk over to Ft Wilderness, maybe eat there, or see the animals. I missed seeing the cow tho, bummer.

I also like the convenience to GF. I like to have a spot of tea....ok maybe the berries and cream also. And I fell in love with the homemade corned beef hash there at the cafe.

I think I need food.

So it's the best resort I can afford.

Have a great time!

Susan

Last year I stayed at the Swan for the first part as so many of my friends were gonna be staying there so I guess I wasn't really solo - then I got a really good deal for the AKL and stayed 3 nights there solo at the end of my trip and it was sooo nice I wish I'd had a chance to stay there a little longer.

This year I'm probably gonna be in a moderate if there are some good AP rates out then I may treat myself ;)

I usually stay at the Dolphin. I love their king beds and covered balconies.

The great thing about the Swan and/or Dolphin (besides their location) is that there are discounts for teachers, medical professionals and government workers (no matter in which country you live)

$129/night is a pretty good deal for a luxury hotel. It's no more than a moderate and sometimes quite a bit less :)

Katholyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter