When you don't know anyone who wants to go to the parks

Louie7080

Registered
So my husband doesn't like go to theme parks, big cities, etc.... And now my kids don't want to go to WDW or Disneyland for the foreseeable future either. I don't have any friends who want to go to the parks and I don't want to go by myself. I would love to find people to become friends with that I could plan trips with but haven't seen any Disney fan club type things in my area. Any ideas on how to find and make friends with other people who love Disney? When I was much younger I didn't mind going to the parks by myself but now it just doesn't appeal to me. If there is an old thread on this, please let me know!

There's a board here for adult and solo Disney fans. Maybe you could reach out there?

(I assume you don't live in the area.) In addition to what PP said, maybe there's a club for an interest you share - or house of worship - in the greater Orlando area, that you could connect with? I.e., perhaps such groups have regular outings? I bet people who live close often have spouses/older kids who aren't interested in going, so people are looking for a park buddy.

There's a board here for adult and solo Disney fans. Maybe you could reach out there?
Thanks - I looked at the thread for people who I assume don't know each other to meet up at Disney but I want to make friends who like Disney and hang out with them even if it is a long distance friendship. I don't know if that is a thing or if there is an online tool for that though. There are groups of people who listen to podcasts that meet up but that still seems like mostly strangers getting together which could be fun for some kinds of personalities but I don't think it fits me since I am on the shy and quiet side.

(I assume you don't live in the area.) In addition to what PP said, maybe there's a club for an interest you share - or house of worship - in the greater Orlando area, that you could connect with? I.e., perhaps such groups have regular outings? I bet people who live close often have spouses/older kids who aren't interested in going, so people are looking for a park buddy.
Thanks for the suggestion. I live in a small town in Colorado and have a hard time finding clubs here. For example I like to garden but there are zero garden clubs in the area! I do have a few friends here but they have no interest in going to WDW but I'll keep searching.

Maybe just reach out on some of the community boards here that share your non Disney interests, and let things grow from there. You will know they like Disney or they wouldn’t be on the boards here, and if they share other interests with you, you would have a wider base for friendship outside visiting the parks.

Solo trips are a lot of fun though. I get a lot more vacation time than my friends and family do, so the majority of my trips are solo. I can be as busy or relaxed as I like, and I don’t have to compromise on which rides or restaurants I visit.

Maybe, consider starting a Disney club yourself in your area. Many libraries will allow you to post and advertise, as well as, hold meetings there.

Same is true of a garden club.

Thanks - I looked at the thread for people who I assume don't know each other to meet up at Disney but I want to make friends who like Disney and hang out with them even if it is a long distance friendship.

Meeting up at Disney is a good starting point to finding people who could turn out to be those long distance friends you are looking for. This solo board is great for that. Over the years I've met up with various people at Disney. Some have become friends that I've seen on several trips, and one that I now plan trips with. Start with something small like meeting someone for a meal at Disney. Maybe it will just be a meal, or maybe it will lead to a new friendship. You may have to meet a few people before you find the ones who are most compatible with you as friends. I recommend that you meet first for a short time before you plan a whole trip with a new person. That way you'll have a better sense of whether you enjoy each other's company.

I started a thread in this site for 50+ people who wanted to get together to maybe tour together. It didn’t get too much action. I’ll bump it up!

So my husband doesn't like go to theme parks, big cities, etc.... And now my kids don't want to go to WDW or Disneyland for the foreseeable future either. I don't have any friends who want to go to the parks and I don't want to go by myself. I would love to find people to become friends with that I could plan trips with but haven't seen any Disney fan club type things in my area. Any ideas on how to find and make friends with other people who love Disney? When I was much younger I didn't mind going to the parks by myself but now it just doesn't appeal to me. If there is an old thread on this, please let me know!

I too have a husband that doesn’t care to go. I would also love to know about any meet and greets. I’m tired of going by myself as well. Most of my friends just don’t get into Disney like I do.

Meeting up at Disney is a good starting point to finding people who could turn out to be those long distance friends you are looking for. This solo board is great for that. Over the years I've met up with various people at Disney. Some have become friends that I've seen on several trips, and one that I now plan trips with. Start with something small like meeting someone for a meal at Disney. Maybe it will just be a meal, or maybe it will lead to a new friendship. You may have to meet a few people before you find the ones who are most compatible with you as friends. I recommend that you meet first for a short time before you plan a whole trip with a new person. That way you'll have a better sense of whether you enjoy each other's company.
good points!

Usually I avoid going during the busy holidays, but this year I'm planning a trip Dec. 22 - Jan. 1, and expect to be solo during at least part of that time. That trip I'll be focusing more on shows (Jason and Billy, Yehaa Bob, Jellyrolls, etc.) and offsite attractions, since the theme parks are extra busy then, and I expect to be in between annual passes. Anyone who might like to meet up around that time for some meals, shows, or touring, feel free to send me a message. (However, if that time of year won't work for some of you, I do understand.)

Also, a friend I usually hang out with at WDW is planning to take a break from Disney next year, so I'll probably be looking for new friends to meet up in 2019, as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in a small town in Colorado and have a hard time finding clubs here. For example I like to garden but there are zero garden clubs in the area! I do have a few friends here but they have no interest in going to WDW but I'll keep searching.
Hello, I am a Colorado Disney geek and am planning my first solo trip in October. My daughters are grown, my former husband living la vida loca on the beach in Mexico. So, I gave myself a good talking to and said "Book it" "Do it" and then she lived happily ever after. LOL

I love to garden (veggies and flowers) and I love Disney! I'm lucky my boys still love to travel with me especially to Disney but I am contemplating a solo trip for this fall/winter. My problem is I can never plan to far in advance because I own a business and never know if I will be staffed adequately to take a vacation. My friends also look at me with cross eyes whenever I tell them we are headed to Disney...

Hey Louie I am in the same boat as you and also live in Colorado. My son is an adult (boohoo) and my middle-schooler is "sick of Florida!" so I am just dying to go to Orlando but can't imagine spending a week or two completely alone.
Hello, I am a Colorado Disney geek and am planning my first solo trip in October. My daughters are grown, my former husband living la vida loca on the beach in Mexico. So, I gave myself a good talking to and said "Book it" "Do it" and then she lived happily ever after. LOL
Wisteria, me too (Colorado/divorced). Do you think we could manage to plan something? I can book Interval resorts for a bargain most of the time. Last year I got a 2 bedroom at SVR for $450/week. Anyway you guys should pm me if interested. October would be great for me.

Hey Louie I am in the same boat as you and also live in Colorado. My son is an adult (boohoo) and my middle-schooler is "sick of Florida!" so I am just dying to go to Orlando but can't imagine spending a week or two completely alone.

Wisteria, me too (Colorado/divorced). Do you think we could manage to plan something? I can book Interval resorts for a bargain most of the time. Last year I got a 2 bedroom at SVR for $450/week. Anyway you guys should pm me if interested. October would be great for me.[/QU
I would love to meet up. Just sent a PM.

Dawn

My honey hates to travel except dive trips, my son is an adult and has his own life and most of my family now live away from us (or I just don't like the ones who live close). I learned a long time ago how to travel solo and I actually enjoy it more at times then when I travel with others. Have you been solo lately to see if you wouldn't enjoy it, maybe a short two day trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter