When you camp elsewhere....

tiggereyore

The laughter of a child is the light of a house
do you go for all the bells and whistles or just a plain campground to relax in? Do you want to be out in the woods or with shopping and activities close by?

I got elected to plan this summers trips (long weekend type fri-mon) Cast of people range from 2 1/2 to 65. 3 rv's and 1 trailer 2 rvs and the trailer hail from VT 1 rv from MA. DH ends up cheif cook which makes me the bottle washer. FIL is the videographer MIL annoys me (distracts the boys from any form of disapline) DM&D are opposites dad will do a part of a park (if we're near one only if he can push "Bug"(the 2 1/2 yr old) he's PAPA's boy! mom on the other hand has to ride everything! Aunt is a chicken only rides kitty rides but helps DH cook. Uncle pushes the other child 4 1/2 (5 this summer but a chicken too) then he leaves with dad. heaven forbid that we don't have the screen house up and they try it. Shopping women and FIL I learned long ago to leave the boys with Papa.

Since I'm up to my ears in snow I've started agonizing over these trips. Got to do 3-4. Because of our location we can do a fairly wide area in New England. Any help is great!!:confused:

We go more for just scenic areas and relaxing. But, then our kids are grown and no grandkids yet. We are spending our summer week off up near Mt Katahdin in Maine...the farther into the woods the better! Always go with brother and SIL...they enjoy pretty much the same stuff we do...the most fun though is people watching...my favorite thing to do at WDW and have a feeling it's the best at Fort Wilderness...pull up a camp chair and let the show begin!!! Taking our grown kids and their Sig others, so it should be a blast!!! Who says WDW is for kids???:wave:

Tiggereyore:

We spent a week in Lake George, NY last summer at the Lake George RV park. (They have a great website: lakegeorgervpark.com) The campground is spotless and has a ton of activities, including bike and walking trails, pools, etc.

There is plenty to do in that area - outlet shopping, a Six Flags Great Escape park, lots of mini-golf, cruises on Lake George, etc. There is also a historic fort near the lake - Fort Ticonderoga.

Good luck with your planning.

Thank you both
Songbert will checkout that site and in my trailers life. Sounds like fun.

mainecamper We do like the relaxation ones too. But thats gotten harder with the 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 yr olds. Last memorial day we did flyingpoint campground just down from LL Bean. Wished I'd had another day to relax though. Spot was great but really windy.

Anyone else up this way have a favorite spot?????

I hear you...the kids just seem to need more entertainment! If you find yourself in Freeport again, try Winslow Park...it is run by the town and very nice! We hope to get over to your neck of the woods this year...do you have any favorites that you can recommend? We love anything on a pond or lake that isn't too commercial...Nance

Nance
Hi before the kids came along we loved Silver Lake in Barnard VT (it's a state park) Nice quiet close to nothing unless 1/2-3/4hr is close to you. The other one was Cambell bay north of St Albans literally in Canada. White mountians Jefferson has a beautiful one called the The Latern Inn and Resort on route2 in Jefferson. They are kid oretiated but wonderful grounds and beautiflul area. We will be going to the Glen/North Conway area in july.
I'll pich DH's brain this weekend were else we went.
Christy

Christy, Thanks...we love the North Conway area...we own a timeshare at Attitash...I used to work at the Hannaford store there years ago...it has something for everyone...I dare your kids to get bored there!!! I'm going to see if I can find the spots you mentioned online...Nance

Nance
Forgot I was staying home till friday (how can you forget a week at home is beyond me but I did it.)

Campbell's bay I doubt you'll find online but I have a phone number 802-868-7258 this is from a few yrs back but some friends of ours were there last yr so I'd say they are still open. I think for a relaxing weekend with us and maybe some friends we're going to go back there. It looks over the missiquoi bay into Canada and is so relaxing. Silver lake you should find under state parks for VT. Good luck DH just hollared upstairs Lake Bommasian (i think this has grown up though).

Okay the rest of you frozen New Englanders...can anyone else defrost their brains long enough to think of anyothers???? Only
-10 with a windchill of -35 but we haven't turned into a popscile yet.

After WDW we're looking at going to the Adirondak's for the fist time this summer. I think around the northeast part. Any suggestions on campgrounds in that area or any part for that matter. Maine is looking tempting the more I look at the maps.
TomM

Tom
Maine is beautiful and so are the white mountians in NH. We have spent 3 yrs in Jefferson at the Lantern if you have kids it can't be beat 2 seconds from santas village and 45 min to Storyland as well as many other things within an hour(course this is beautiful scenery) Lantern in online the upper sites (on the right on the map) are all gravel the rest is grass. Both pools are great because it is only 70ish sites.
I've never spent time in NY so I can't help there.

Anyone else??

Hey something I can post on!!

I'm from New York and can suggest you check out Hearthstone or Rogers Rock if you like state run campgrounds. They are both in on Lake George.

State campgrounds are great for relaxation and the Lake George is full of activities to visit if lounging on the beach isn't enough. The only drawback is there is that you really have to rough it (no hookups at most). We went horeseback riding and visited Great Escape during our time there. Another thing you might consider is that several places in that area rent speed boats to do tubing, skiing, sightseeing etc. As someone else mentioned there is also Fort Ticonderoga and the village is a great place for just shopping and people watching.

You can check out all of the state campgrounds on the web sorry can't remember the sight right now. But you can also search out the various things available in Lake George there are a ton of private campgrounds in the area as well that offer far more "activities" and better hookups. Its worth a look! Good luck!

All of my non-Ft. Wilderness camping is with Boy Scouts and we often stay in the wilderness areas of State Parks where we go to caves or on hikes or canoeing or rapelling (only recommend rapelling with a qualified instructor). Most of the state parks we have been to have very nice full hookup sites and have lots of activities. The comfort stations are not near as nice away from WDW though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter