• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When will your Christmas tree go up?

Last year I started putting it up before Thanksgiving because my sister used to get all four days off, but now she only gets Thursday and Friday. We would rather sit and visit than untangle strings of lights. I actually put up the tree and hung the stockings yesterday after the worst of the hurricane was past. Just needed a little something festive after all the destruction on the news.

Black Friday. I would love to have it sooner, but we buy a real tree, and we can't get one around here, before that day.

It was 69° & sunny yesterday, so I talked DH into putting the outside lights up. He’s usually out there freezing while he’s doing them. He’s semiretired now, so I saw no reason to not take advantage of the great weather. The weather has been unusually warm this year & I’ve seen several other homes with lights & decorations out already. So Wednesday night we pulled all our totes & the tree box out of the storage area & into the main basement. The lights & wreaths are now up outside.

The last few years the weekend before Thanksgiving we’d start pulling the boxes out & putting our normal stuff away. Then we’d do all the decorating Thanksgiving weekend. It normally takes us 2 or 3 days to decorate. We have so much stuff I always joke it looks like Christmas threw up in our house. :rotfl2: We only do 1 large tree, but I have a small tabletop battery lit tree I decorate in our family room. I change out my curio hutch & all my cupboard tops & shelves. My DH insists on putting lights up in the living room & all the windows, like his dad did when he was a kid. We have Hallmark ornament collections we display in shelving & many musical decorations that go around the house. He has the job of putting all those batteries in & taking them out in January. There’s a lot more we put out plus the finished area of the basement gets a few decorations too. I‘ll probably put my regular stuff away while DH is at work next Tuesday & Wednesday & we’ll start decorating next Thursday. Everything should be done the weekend before Thanksgiving. I love having the house all decorated so an extra week this year will be fine with me.

Last edited:
I keep mine up all year. But I take down the decorations before Valentine's Day. Time to start putting them back up.

My parents always put our tree up after we went to bed on Christmas Eve.

It always came down on New Years Day.

After our kids came along we also did the Christmas Eve setting up and decorating for a few years. So fun watching the kids get up on Christmas morning and see the tree for the first time.

After a number of years we went to a 'weekend before Christmas' tree decorating. The kids liked it because then they got to take part in the decorating.

We've been getting earlier and earlier as the amount of decorations keeps increasing! Likely the last weekend in November but we might start getting some bits and pieces set up the weekend before that.

I really haven't been much of a holiday person since my parents passed. We really weren't much of a holiday family when they were alive either so I guess it was just never part of my life. I haven't done any holiday decorating for any of the holidays in several years and I doubt I'll start doing it any time soon. I'm really only home half of the time so it just seems pointless to do it.

We have Coast Guard recruits as guests for Thanksgiving, and so we will have some Decorations up, including a small tree.
I thought you were going to say you were going to put them to work and have them do it! :D
I really haven't been much of a holiday person since my parents passed. We really weren't much of a holiday family when they were alive either so I guess it was just never part of my life. I haven't done any holiday decorating for any of the holidays in several years and I doubt I'll start doing it any time soon. I'm really only home half of the time so it just seems pointless to do it.
This makes me sad, but I understand that some folks don't get into it, don't celebrate it, decorate for other holidays, etc. I hope it isn't out of line to say that Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree popped into my head. But then, I always (STILL) read your name as TipsyThomas :)

I love having more than one tree, but then I'm a bit nuts like that - even when we had the tiny one bedroom townhouse we had 2 or 3 trees up every year.

I have two of the 8 that go up already, the rest will Go up in the next few weeks!

Do you mark the holidays in other ways? I'm always curious as to people's traditions.

Do you mark the holidays in other ways? I'm always curious as to people's traditions.
No, not really. I live alone and have nobody else in my family or life so I am the only one I would do those type of things for. I just don't see the point when I don't find any joy in the process.

For the past 20+ years we have been putting ours up right after Halloween. Before retirement we lived on Main St in a small town with a large front window. Towns folk would become concerned it they didn't see our tree up by 11/3. Now that we're retired (and lazy), we still get our tree up early so we can enjoy the fruits of our labor as long as possible.

I keep decorating earlier and earlier. It used to be the day after Thanksgiving, then the weekend before Thanksgiving. We have a lot of decorations, and I found I enjoyed Thanksgiving more if the tree was up and the house was decorated rather than spending the day thinking about all the work that needed to be done. Last year, I put the tree up two weekends before Thanksgiving because we had a Disney trip Thanksgiving week.

I'm putting the tree up and decorations out today so everything will be up when my daughter comes home from college for Thanksgiving break on Friday. Christmas is her favorite season (her birthday is just days before Christmas) and she loves when the house is decorated.

Ours just went up today!

Yes, it’s earlier than normal (usually week of Thanksgiving) but last year my tree had issues with the lights so I pulled it out this week to fix it. After 3 hours finagling with the tree and calling Balsam Hill … it’s done. Dead. Cannot be repaired. So irritating, esp since that expensive tree isn’t that old. I bought a new one and it arrived this morning. That’s why it’s up so early.

No decorations on it yet. New one looks nice, I miss my BH tree (this one doesn’t have a remote, and not as many lights) but I think once it’s decorated I’ll move on.

Ours just went up today!

Yes, it’s earlier than normal (usually week of Thanksgiving) but last year my tree had issues with the lights so I pulled it out this week to fix it. After 3 hours finagling with the tree and calling Balsam Hill … it’s done. Dead. Cannot be repaired. So irritating, esp since that expensive tree isn’t that old. I bought a new one and it arrived this morning. That’s why it’s up so early.

No decorations on it yet. New one looks nice, I miss my BH tree (this one doesn’t have a remote, and not as many lights) but I think once it’s decorated I’ll move on.
I know the BH dying stung! I love mine and pray every year it works!

I know the BH dying stung! I love mine and pray every year it works!
It did 😢. Badly!

When I called them I was holding out hope I missed a troubleshooting step. :sad2: Then I was hopeful that they’d give me some sort of “returning customer” buyer rate on a new tree. You know, extra percentage off seeing that the tree was not that old. No dice. I couldn’t justify shelling out an obscene amount of money to have this happen again. So after some deep research I purchased National Tree Company.

Dh and I discussed taking all the lights off the BH and having 2 trees next year, but idk. I can’t look at that tree now I’m so bummed out about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter