When Will the US Reach 100,000 COVID deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, looks like we're right around 90,000 today, and so probably May 27th-28th until we hit the grim milestone of 100K. A full 9.5 weeks until August 4th, when we were supposed to hit 60K deaths. I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to think we're not doing this right. The United States is 4.9% of the world population and yet we have 28.3% of the COVID-19 deaths. It's interesting that our 4.9% global population percentage also owns 29.3% of the global wealth. You'd think with all of that wealth we could have done much better for our people. Germany, on the other hand, makes up 1.07% of the global population, owns 4.07% of global wealth, far lower percentage than ours when compared to population. And yet, they account for just 2.5% of the COVID-19 global deaths.

Conservatively, I'd say we hit 150-175K by August 4th.

People weren't ordered to stay home to save everyone, they were ordered to stay home so that the hospitals were not overwhelmed in the beginning of this pandemic. This is a virus, it is going to kill people just like many other viruses out there. The goal was NEVER to stay home until a vaccine was available.
I don't know what anyone else can say to get that point across to the people who aren't getting it.
I know that. Yes, people will die. But the numbers keep going up and all people car about is not wearing a mask and going wherever they want with no thought as to how it impacts those around them. The number could be less if people cared more about others than their rights. I fear for the fall. We have no testing or contact tracing in place. IF we were opening up with continued social distancing, tons of tests to see who is contagious including asymptomatic ones, contact tracing, then I would feel better. I feel like we have wasted the last 5 months. I know people will die, but they shouldn't because of carelessness and indifference.

I am feeling positive and hope that the numbers will decline even if The positive tested Have flattened. My non- scientific hunch is based on that now more asymtomatics are being tested ( so one hears) and they in general do not get real sick. And that I hope by now nursing homes have things under control- where many deaths happened weeks ago. I would hope overall care facilities are showing an overall decrease as they are on lock-downs and have added new procedures.
Not in out area. Despite the lock down on nursing homes here, the cases and deaths are going up.

People weren't ordered to stay home to save everyone, they were ordered to stay home so that the hospitals were not overwhelmed in the beginning of this pandemic. This is a virus, it is going to kill people just like many other viruses out there. The goal was NEVER to stay home until a vaccine was available.
I don't know what anyone else can say to get that point across to the people who aren't getting it.

I think that most people understand what "flattening the curve" means, and why we were all asked/ordered to stay home. The problem is that even with all of those measures, we were woefully unprepared for a pandemic and our numbers prove that point. Our response was so poor, that it will negatively impact our economic recovery. People need to feel safe in order to fully participate in the economy, and right now, a large percentage do not feel safe, when factoring in our response to date. Jay Powell said it best last evening on 60 minutes...."So for the economy to fully recover, people will have to be fully confident. And that may have to await the arrival of a vaccine."

I know that. Yes, people will die. But the numbers keep going up and all people car about is not wearing a mask and going wherever they want with no thought as to how it impacts those around them. The number could be less if people cared more about others than their rights. I fear for the fall. We have no testing or contact tracing in place. IF we were opening up with continued social distancing, tons of tests to see who is contagious including asymptomatic ones, contact tracing, then I would feel better. I feel like we have wasted the last 5 months. I know people will die, but they shouldn't because of carelessness and indifference.

That's a pretty broad brush you've got there.
"We" is not all just an FYI.

(The yellow)- That is a pretty unfair statement, not wanting the government to take away the rights they vowed to protect does not equate to not caring about others. I'm not going to get in to that any further but it isn't so black and white. You might want to look up the history of mankind before you are so willing to have people give up their rights "for the good of everyone" and maybe that will enlighten you to why they feel the way they do.

I think that most people understand what "flattening the curve" means, and why we were all asked/ordered to stay home. The problem is that even with all of those measures, we were woefully unprepared for a pandemic and our numbers prove that point. Our response was so poor, that it will negatively impact our economic recovery. People need to feel safe in order to fully participate in the economy, and right now, a large percentage do not feel safe, when factoring in our response to date. Jay Powell said it best last evening on 60 minutes...."So for the economy to fully recover, people will have to be fully confident. And that may have to await the arrival of a vaccine."

The people who want us to continue to stay at home don't.
I'm not talking about what we could or should have done to be prepared. I'm talking about the people who believe we need to stay home so that we don't have any more deaths.

(The yellow)- That is a pretty unfair statement, not wanting the government to take away the rights they vowed to protect does not equate to not caring about others. I'm not going to get in to that any further but it isn't so black and white. You might want to look up the history of mankind before you are so willing to have people give up their rights "for the good of everyone" and maybe that will enlighten you to why they feel the way they
I have a college degree in history. I am well aware. But this disease is falling heavier on the African American and elderly populations, do it is easier to look away when it doesn't affect us. I believe in rights. But it is a balancing act. I do NOT want to stay hidden away, but we must interact in public SAFELY and I am not seeing that.

Welp, looks like we're right around 90,000 today, and so probably May 27th-28th until we hit the grim milestone of 100K. A full 9.5 weeks until August 4th, when we were supposed to hit 60K deaths. I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to think we're not doing this right. The United States is 4.9% of the world population and yet we have 28.3% of the COVID-19 deaths. It's interesting that our 4.9% global population percentage also owns 29.3% of the global wealth. You'd think with all of that wealth we could have done much better for our people. Germany, on the other hand, makes up 1.07% of the global population, owns 4.07% of global wealth, far lower percentage than ours when compared to population. And yet, they account for just 2.5% of the COVID-19 global deaths.

Conservatively, I'd say we hit 150-175K by August 4th.

Exactly! Not only are we the wealthiest country, our healthcare system is the most expensive. So what are we getting that is "better" for all that cost? Seems like we should figure out what other countries who are more on top of this are doing, and see if we can implement some of that. I think it's also partly a cultural problem, where some people are conditioned to believe that "the common good" == communism or something along those lines.

I have a college degree in history. I am well aware. But this disease is falling heavier on the African American and elderly populations, do it is easier to look away when it doesn't affect us. I believe in rights. But it is a balancing act. I do NOT want to stay hidden away, but we must interact in public SAFELY and I am not seeing that.

It’s the older people by where I live that are not wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. People aren’t taking this seriously. I suspect we’ll hit 200k deaths in six to seven weeks.

Exactly! Not only are we the wealthiest country, our healthcare system is the most expensive. So what are we getting that is "better" for all that cost? Seems like we should figure out what other countries who are more on top of this are doing, and see if we can implement some of that. I think it's also partly a cultural problem, where some people are conditioned to believe that "the common good" == communism or something along those lines.

Well, that would make sense, to look at Germany, South Korea, Greece for goodness sake! Greece has done an incredible job given their resources.

Because we don't have adequate testing, contact tracing and isolation of infected persons in place yet, we're still flying blind to a certain degree. We're working on it, but we're way behind the curve. And because of that fact, our economic recovery will be long, tough slog.

Since we don't have those tools up to speed, trust plays a vital role in how people will behave with respect to economic participation. I completely trust my next door neighbor. We've known her for 12 years. We're having lovely "socially distant" conversations over our shared fence. I know that she's avoiding crowds because she's told me so. The neighbors across the street aren't behaving in that same manner. I see them having gatherings outside with friends and family groups. Their small children are all playing together, as if nothing has happened. They're moving inside and outside of their home, all close together, as if this was the regular kick-off to the summer. Seeing that makes me think of all of the other people behaving that way, and how it will spread the virus.

And so I'll avoid them, and because I know that there are plenty others like them, who could be silent spreaders of the virus, I'll avoid participating in the greater economy as much as possible until we have better therapeutics, or hopefully a vaccine.

After 9/11, I really felt like we all pulled together as a nation. This time, not so much. And sadly, that fact has already baked in a very difficult economy in the coming months/years.

Our healthcare is expensive. And it was still not as prepared as some European countries, where it’s a social institution.

Yes we need to start opening things but social distancing has to be part of it. I think where people are getting frustrated is with those that refuse to follow physical distancing. I live near Niagara Falls and just yesterday it was packed with people. Most were ignoring social distancing. If people want things to open we have to work together to make it work. I work in a grocery store and have to deal with the public. I'm physically and mentally exhausted from doing this. I'm sick of seeing so many just not caring about others during this pandemic.

It's very disheartening. Everyone screamed about their freedom and the economy, so states started to reopen due to that pressure. All they ask is for people to be respectful in the meantime. Wear a mask, social distance, be considerate. Hardly anyone is wearing a mask in my area, so it makes me feel unsafe and therefore I am not comfortable running around.

So they get their reopening and they are making it unsafe. Win win for them I guess. People like that don't care about anyone other than themselves.

That is what keeping us home for the last 2 months has done. My area was just extended to March 28 but many areas in my state are starting to open. It is impossible to stay locked down any longer. Maybe you are fortunate enough to be in a position to stay home for as long as it takes but there’s 10s of million people who can’t.
It's got nothing to do with staying home. It's got to do with opening up in a smart way and as others have said caring about others.

It's very disheartening. Everyone screamed about their freedom and the economy, so states started to reopen due to that pressure. All they ask is for people to be respectful in the meantime. Wear a mask, social distance, be considerate. Hardly anyone is wearing a mask in my area, so it makes me feel unsafe and therefore I am not comfortable running around.

So they get their reopening and they are making it unsafe. Win win for them I guess. People like that don't care about anyone other than themselves.

It’s the American way.

It’s the older people by where I live that are not wearing masks and maintaining social distancing. People aren’t taking this seriously. I suspect we’ll hit 200k deaths in six to seven weeks.
Funny. We had our first in person service yesterday. The first service was older members or immunocompromised. All wore masks. About 80 spread out. 2nd service were families. Though they entered with masks, about 75 percent took them off.

I pray you are wrong... B
I was thinking more like 150,000 but we'll see.

Funny. We had our first in person service yesterday. The first service was older members or immunocompromised. All wore masks. About 80 spread out. 2nd service were families. Though they entered with masks, about 75 percent took them off.

I pray you are wrong... B
I was thinking more like 150,000 but we'll see.

I expect on average 2 thousand deaths a day next month. By the summer I expect 3 thousand deaths a day.

I went to a farmer's market stand today. Out of about 15 people there, I saw two wearing masks, not include myself and significant other.
This is what's playing out in my sister's county (Sussex NJ) west of mine. Their case count remains low because not many seed cases there when the slow down happened. More stores and people are kind of thumbing their noses at procedures than the hotter counties east, where I live (Passaic) and work (Bergen).

I think it's a mistake. They should be training for how to reduce spread before more businesses start to operate and while counts are still low. Make good habits now and not squander their advantage. As we open back up and start traveling again, the virus will get up in there. Training for that now makes it much easier to keep the r0 down when it starts to matter.

We are learning that our actions play a big part in the rates of spread. Slowing this virus down gives us the most advantage.

YES!!!!! I am not advocating staying locked up. Just be considerate of others.

This seems to be lost on many people. I absolutely want things to reopen and want our economy to recover. I never claimed to know much about the economy, but I know we're in trouble and I do not want people to suffer. I do want people to be considerate. We need to work together to keep everyone safe AND get the economy going again.

I don't know why people cannot understand this. It's possible to care about the virus AND the economy at the same time.

(The yellow)- That is a pretty unfair statement, not wanting the government to take away the rights they vowed to protect does not equate to not caring about others. I'm not going to get in to that any further but it isn't so black and white. You might want to look up the history of mankind before you are so willing to have people give up their rights "for the good of everyone" and maybe that will enlighten you to why they feel the way they do.

The people who want us to continue to stay at home don't.
I'm not talking about what we could or should have done to be prepared. I'm talking about the people who believe we need to stay home so that we don't have any more deaths.
What rights? You don't have a right to have a haircut or go shopping in a store without a mask if the company requires you wear one. You are talking about conveniences, not rights. We are such a spoiled and entitled society.

This seems to be lost on many people. I absolutely want things to reopen and want our economy to recover. I never claimed to know much about the economy, but I know we're in trouble and I do not want people to suffer. I do want people to be considerate. We need to work together to keep everyone safe AND get the economy going again.

I don't know why people cannot understand this. It's possible to care about the virus AND the economy at the same time.

People are going to suffer even more if we have to close down again. That’s what people fail to realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter