When will the contract extension expire for Disney Employees?

All I can think of during these last few posts :
Millennials are killing the burger-flipping industry : r ...

Maybe that art history degree that cost $200k in loans wasn't the smartest choice. Choices matter.

It's not necessarily about a "high" paying job. $15 is a relative number based on inflation and relative value; the important thing is even unskilled people should be able to make enough to live. I didn't say nor do I believe someone who hands out overpriced Mickey bars should get rich, but I do believe they should be able to afford the basic necessities.

Two people making $15/hr is enough to afford the basic necessities. And if you are single, get a roommate like I did for several years starting out. The purpose of the job market/tax code isn't to manage people's standard of living or redistribute income. At this point, the government getting involved does more damage than good.

You get paid based on your skillset and how hard you work. Nobody is owed a high paying job. You have to work FOR it, and then work AT it. Lots of jobs aren't worth $15 an hour. If you think you are going to get richer handing out overpriced Mickey Mouse ice cream bar, then you have nobody to blame for the disappointment that will follow but yourself.

So if what you're saying is true, why aren't Disney cast members compensated accordingly?

So if what you're saying is true, why aren't Disney cast members compensated accordingly?

If it's not true, why are they still there? If you have a valuable skillset and are under paid, you should be able to find another, more attractive opportunity. I did it more than once.

If it's not true, why are they still there? If you have a valuable skillset and are under paid, you should be able to find another, more attractive opportunity. I did it more than once.

I guess you answered your own question then. They aren't there because the company doesn't value their skills.

Disney CM's are compensated according to the union contract that both parties agreed to.

Why do we give WDW the time to financially get over the Covid years but do not want to consider this also means their castmembers suffered during this time . We are accepting Disney increasing and price surging but the castmembers have No chance if Disney returns to the negotiating table and does not offer one cent more and punishes them by announcing their retroactive pay is no longer as valuable.
They are creating an environment of confusion and the cast members are arguing about the future vote out of desperation to buy gasoline to show up for work ! Ultimately is the goal to get rid of the Union ?
Especially if castmembers can’t afford to pay their Union dues and choose to not belong anymore.

The comments seem to reflect No respect or sincerity for the CastMembers that we all say we love .

Last edited:
Disney CM's are compensated according to the union contract that both parties agreed to.
Yes and times have changed dramatically where they are now renegotiating.

At the end of the day the Disney workforce has been decimated because of Disney's desire to enrich themselves rather than take care of their own people.

Unfortunately, Iger and the suits will not be the ones to suffer even if the company fails, just the same as Chapek actually benefitting from being fired.

The irony of all this is the genius corporate response will be to pay staff more and charge guests more, which will eventually run them into the ground, as opposed to taking a cut off their own end.

With the standards Disney wants from cast members, they are all skilled labor more in line with entertainers than they are front line workers. Disney has never paid them as such.

Disney can staff their workforce with the government sponsored College Internship Program . (Tax write off ? ) I think they own the land for the campus but found other business to build and maintain .

They can continue to sell every inch of property including your identity to every corporation that wants their name associated with Disney .

I find it alarming that the Charter Bus Companies and Uber Lyft , etc Rideshares , are causing traffic congestion and danger driving .
WDW Bus Drivers had to complete an extensive training including many tests (DMV included) and required to take random drug testing .
How safe does your cheaper price make you feel?

Maybe a foreign company can afford to just buy Disney to solve everything . Kinda like the International Golf Association currently .

Last edited:
We are accepting Disney increasing and price surging but the castmembers have No chance if Disney returns to the negotiating table and does not offer one cent more and punishes them by announcing their retroactive pay is no longer as valuable.
We only have heard from Union Leadership about what has been offered so far. Cast members didn’t even get to see what was in the contract that the Union Leadership asked them to vote on.

Or maybe handing out ice cream sandwiches isn't really a skill.
It is hard work and very stressful …

Okay just for fun let’s imagine you are making your bed at home daily and changing sheets every 3 days with mattresses that are very heavy.
Very hard work .

It is hard work and very stressful …

Okay just for fun let’s imagine you are making your bed at home daily and changing sheets every 3 days with mattresses that are very heavy.
Very hard work .

Still, making beds is not skilled labor. For some reason, probably based on the "equity" idiocy being pushed these days, unskilled labor thinks they should be paid like skilled labor. That's not how the job market works.

Still, making beds is not skilled labor. For some reason, probably based on the "equity" idiocy being pushed these days, unskilled labor thinks they should be paid like skilled labor. That's not how the job market works.

? Market economics would say that skilled nor unskilled should make a difference in pay. It's all supply and demand. Right now you don't have enough housekeepers and ice cream salesmen. Those people just don't appear out of thin air if you wait long enough. You need to pay more to incentivize people to take on those roles, or eliminate the service.

It's simple to fill a CEO role these days, but front line? Not so much.

? Market economics would say that skilled nor unskilled should make a difference in pay. It's all supply and demand. Right now you don't have enough housekeepers and ice cream salesmen. Those people just don't appear out of thin air if you wait long enough. You need to pay more to incentivize people to take on those roles, or eliminate the service.

It's simple to fill a CEO role these days, but front line? Not so much.

If that were true, then they should leave for all these opportunities that offer higher pay. Disney can't be the only place looking for all this unskilled labor that is worth higher salaries. But that's not what they are doing. They are trying to use a union to force Disney to pay more than the market really demands. In the end, there will be more automation, less jobs, fewer services, and higher prices. Not that I feel bad for Disney. They deserve this after all their virtue signaling about $15 an hour before the pandemic.

But skilled vs unskilled absolutely does make a difference in pay. Pay too much for unskilled labor, and you can pull from the skilled market labor. Then you put a crunch on that market and they have to pay more. So, in the end, you end up increasing labor costs from top to bottom. That pushes up prices across the board for everyone.

Curious- my DD is a deep water lifeguard at Disney.

Does that fall under skilled labor to you or is it the same as quick service outdoor vending? Curious as to where you draw the line…

I think the military would consider making a bed a skill to learn .
Martha Stewart has an entire video on how to make a bed .
Maybe we should have housekeeping contests on Disney+Channel
Skilled or Not skilled You be the judge
Bonus for most creative towel designs judged by childrens reactions when they enter their Disney Resort room upon arrival day!

Curious- my DD is a deep water lifeguard at Disney.

Does that fall under skilled labor to you or is it the same as quick service outdoor vending? Curious as to where you draw the line…

Totsl respect to your daughter for succeeding probably after many hard weekends during high school and summer vacation learning and building strength and yearly qualifying for life guarding positions.
One day I arrived early at H2O Water Theme Park and watched as they were testing lifesaving skills for this position for the season.

Have you ever watched the castmembers trying to push the carts filled with ice or ice cream thru the crowds at the MK for example… really hard work beginning and ending and through-out the day crowds and those flat sidewalks all of a sudden feel very steep ( just trying to push a wheelchair is enough to ruin my back .
And what about castmembers that risk their future health on Autopia consuming gas fumes in the heat for your guest ppleasure.
Can’t anybody admit it is not just a job
It is a JOB .
Oh yeah and cleaning those filthy toilets that people think is alright to just leave baby diapers anywhere…
I could not pay myself enough to do that job !

Just have some respect and sincerity and ask how you can alert Disney of your concerns for the cost of gasoline to drive to work for their castmembers that you say you love and makes it magical!

Trying to gage if we are going to end up not getting to go to the parks and need to make other plans.
Thanks

To the original poster Have you read this entire thread?
Im glad this thread was started .
Edit : Meant to say I probably would never have started this discussion that concerns me .
I sincerely do hope your trip is great . And Disney and castmembers hope for same thing. Agreement takes a lot of back & forth .

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter