When WDW re-opens: Price hike or lots of discounts??

When WDW re-open, do you expect a price hike or lots of discounts?

• Price hike

Votes: 115 27.1%
  • Lots of discounts

Votes: 309 72.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet if we looked back on these boards in 2008 or so it would appear that there were tons of people taking Disney trips (multiple even) despite Disney needing to heavily discount.

I'll try to tack down my pictures, but when I was visiting over Halloween in 2008 for Food and Wine, the parks were almost a ghost town. Sure Epcot was crowded on weekends, but it was amazing to see how low the crowds were in the afternoons. I remember taking pictures of MK's Tomorrowland in the afternoon, commenting that it looked like we were the 1st group in after rope drop it was so empty

I'll try to tack down my pictures, but when I was visiting over Halloween in 2008 for Food and Wine, the parks were almost a ghost town. Sure Epcot was crowded on weekends, but it was amazing to see how low the crowds were in the afternoons. I remember taking pictures of MK's Tomorrowland in the afternoon, commenting that it looked like we were the 1st group in after rope drop it was so empty

That’s my point. The parks themselves weren’t crowded and Disney needed to heavily discount, but if you looked on here there would have likely been a disproportionate amount of people taking advantage of the discounts and going. Possibly kind of like how it appears tons of people are going to be there once it reopens, because lots of people on the DIS rescheduled.

We’re hardcore Disney fans who prioritize it over quite a bit, we’re outliers. It’s hard to get an idea of what the actual situation will be just by what people on here do.

Disney should institute price breaks for health care workers like they do for the military. They are the ones fighting this war.

they don’t even give discounts to veterans. My XH is a veteran and we only got a discount once when he was active duty.

Healthcare workers will never get it. I’m in healthcare. I would love it but not happening.

That’s my point. The parks themselves weren’t crowded and Disney needed to heavily discount, but if you looked on here there would have likely been a disproportionate amount of people taking advantage of the discounts and going. Possibly kind of like how it appears tons of people are going to be there once it reopens, because lots of people on the DIS rescheduled.

We’re hardcore Disney fans who prioritize it over quite a bit, we’re outliers. It’s hard to get an idea of what the actual situation will be just by what people on here do.

Not to mention that international travel may be problematic for a while. That alone may restrict visitors during most of 2020, should they re-open this summer.

I also think it will look REALLY REALLY bad for Disney to open normally while doctors and nurses are still dying.

Edited to add: It might be good PR to offer deeply discounted trips to healthcare workers who were on the front lines.
Good point! Salute tickets for healthcare professionals will boost sales and confidence.

Back in '08 or '09, when free dining first came out, it included the regular plan, with app, dessert AND tip included, even with value resorts (for which I paid $89, I believe).

The recession / depression world wide caused by the Corona virus will be SO many times worse than the Great Recession. Add to that the new fear of crowds. Disney may be happy with 50% occupancy at today's style discounts or crunch the numbers and feel they will make more money at 80% occupancy with old fashioned discounts. Either way, there WILL be discounts at every given time of the year for at least 2 years.

It would be nothing more than a mere guess at this point. I personally dont think we'll see any changes at all until after Disney is back open and can analyze the market. They already have the 4 park special going until Sept 2020 so I dont think they will add anything more. Their hotels are going to be packed from all the rescheduled bookings that are currently be canceled so I think it will be months after they reopen before they know how to react. Not to mention we dont know how much relief money they are going to receive and yes they are absolutely going to receive some, so its really hard to tell how bad financially this is going to impact them or any of us for that matter. I think alot of people that already invested money are still going to go after they open but I also believe the crowds and attendance are going to be way down. This is going to have a lasting effect and alot of people are going to avoid big crowds for a long time. Just like 9-11, it took a very long time before folks starting flying again, this will have the same effect, going take some time before people start going on cruise ships, theme parks, concerts, sports games. Yeah, there will still be plenty that go but I'm talking about the masses like it was before the virus hit. But like I said, were all just guessing at this point. I truly hope things get back to normal sooner than I believe they actually will.

Good point, people on here are just a bit obsessive.
But
I do still stick with saying the discounts will be minimal.
Maybe. But at the end of the day, Disney wants foot traffic in the parks. I think they will do whatever they have to do to get people into the parks, which to me means heavily discounted hotel room rates. After that, once you're in 'the bubble', that's where I think the price hikes will happen. My initial gut reaction is for both food and merchandise, two of the biggest sellers in the 'bubble'.

I'm with the group that thinks there will be no discounts until they see what the public is willing to do. If we go back in droves eager to crash the gates, they will raise the prices immediately because well...that's what they've always done to us. If we are cautious and only the desperate for entertainment or people whose finances weren't affected start trickling in, then they will be at our mercy and have to cut prices in order to rebuild business. Even if they do cut prices, how many of us will be able to splurge? Let's face it, even at half price that is going to be FAR too expensive for those of us out of jobs right now. It's going to take us in the service industry forever to bounce back from this. The only clients I expect to see when we reopen are my retired ladies who weren't impacted. All of my clients that bartend and wait tables are at home with a pair of scissors as we speak, hacking on their bangs.:sad:

@Alicefan FWIW I usually cut my own hair (no bangs) but as soon as this is over I'm going straight to a salon. Don't know what it is, but I just want a "real" haircut. And color. I don't color my own hair. It's really long so I just trim it. But all this sitting around at home has me wanting to make a big change. Maybe your clients are similar?? I think you're going to be slammed with business as soon as you open.

I am a huge Disney fan but my husband isn't. So we fall pretty middle of the road as far as our obsession level. We, and I think many like us, are taking a wait and see approach. If the parks are super empty when they first open, we may make a last minute trip. If they're hugely discounted we definitely will go. But if the crowds go nuts because they've been Disney deprived, we'll wait until it calms down.

For people making once in a lifetime trips, I imagine they'll wait a year or so. Disney may have to offer discounts to encourage them to come at all instead of going on a vacation to a secluded beach where social distancing is easier or just staying home to save money. If I had never been to Disney and wasn't particularly excited about the cost, "global pandemic" and "recession" would be pretty compelling reasons for me to cancel my plans altogether.

I think they will have to offer discounts, but it won't be soon. I have serious doubts that Disney will open this June or even this summer. We are still "in the moment" with this pandemic. If and when it seems to ebb, I think the collective shock across the world will sink in - much like after an accident. And I hate to sound grim, but let's say Disney World does open in June. Two weeks in, the news stories on Yahoo! and Facebook are "Guests at Disney World test positive for the coronovirus!" - sure, sensationalism, but that will tank what little interest the non-super fans have of making a visit. *I* certainly don't want to roll the dice right now. That's for sure.

But will Disney's discounts be enough to make a dent in the horrific rise of the rack rates of the resorts in the past six or seven years? Think about it. A 40% off a $665 room is not going much during a recession or depression. Or a 20% discount on a $350 moderate. They have made their own bed here, and now it is time for them to lay in it.

I believe that ticket prices and hotel rooms will come down drastically in cost. Disney wants to see their rooms and parks full. I don't think they're going to raise prices, because the majority of visitors are probably not going to be visiting due to the worst economy since the Great Depression, if not even worst...

I just don't see how they can discount them enough though. With a needed probable 70% off needed, that big of an amount will make the brand look bad. I don't see how they can win in this situation and it makes me nervous. I have two grand worth of Disney gift cards I am sitting on. I knew a recession was looming, but this is way more than anyone ever thought would occur. Disney could have probably handled a recession of the "norm". This is not the "norm". This is so unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter