• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to use complementary night?

justme0729

DIS Veteran
We have 3 options for how to use our complementary night at the Grand Floridian and I can't decide which one to use...

1. Arrive at WDW one day earlier than we planned so we can feel situated before the wedding and go to a nice dinner alone. (We are arriving the day before the wedding if we do not do this but will just hang at the resort the day before and not be too busy)

2. Wedding Night so we have a special room after the wedding, we don't have to take a taxi/ bus back after the wedding at the Grand Floridian, and can go to a nice breakfast alone the next morning. We wouldn't check out of our AKL studio that we would have already had... we would maybe let some friends use it for the night or just leave it empty so we don't need to worry about having no where to get ready on the wedding day.

3. Stay one night at the end of our trip after our cruise so we can enjoy the GF pool/ resort, go to a last nice dinner alone, and maybe go to Magic Kingdom.... After a 5 night cruise and a 6 night WDW trip though I think we might actually be ready to go home.

What should we do? :)

With most people living together, or at least sleeping together, before they get married, couples should find a way to make their wedding night special.

The Grand would do that.

I choose "2." And I would leave it empty.

I wouldn't use your complimentary night the night of the wedding. Do you really want to be worried about changing hotels/checking in and moving stuff over the day of your wedding? I would do number 3 personally but if you are worried you would rather go home than number one sounds good!

I wouldn't use your complimentary night the night of the wedding. Do you really want to be worried about changing hotels/checking in and moving stuff over the day of your wedding? I would do number 3 personally but if you are worried you would rather go home than number one sounds good!
It sounds like they won't be checking out. Or moving all of their stuff. They would only need stuff for one night. Have one bag packed. And they would already be at the Grand for the wedding.

If they stay there, after the wedding, they could simply go upstairs to their room. They don't have to worry about taxis or buses. They are then guests until midnight the next night. So they could get up and enjoy the Grand the entire next day.

We did ours on the last night of our honeymoon so we could end on a high note. But that time, we'd seen all the parks had to offer and had plenty of time to take advantage of the Grand Floridian's many amenities. And that way we didn't waste a night we'd paid for elsewhere or have to check in and out on our wedding day.

I vote option 3 as well. Having to check in and schlep bags over to the Grand on your wedding day sounds like a nightmare (even if you went back to AKL after, you'll still need an overnight bag!)

Our honeymoon was 5 nights at WDW followed by a 7 night cruise, and the day we docked back at Port Canaveral we went back to MK before our flight because yes, there was still some stuff we hadn't done! If we could have I would have 100% chosen to stay back on property that day we landed, and used my free night there (I had a non-missable work event the day after our cruise docked, so no go there).

Alternatively since we seem to have similar honeymoons, we chose to use our free night for our last night staying on property pre-cruise, as I figured that would help encourage us to pack everything up for the cruise and not spend our last night at WDW packing :) For us, this was 8 nights at Beach Club Villas (including pre-wedding and post-wedding), 1 free night at Beach Club proper (because again, moving bags for one night meant a headache to me), then cruise!

Would it change anything if I said that we would be going to the GF early morning anyway to go to the spa, then back to AKL to get ready (edited to add that), and that our wedding isn't until 7:30?

I also like option 3 but my fiancé thinks 11 nights is already long lol but I might convince him :)

Last edited:
What if you get there and your room isn't ready yet? What if you can't get into the room until 3pm? And then the morning after your wedding, instead of relaxing, you have to be up packing to leave your hotel.

I guess I've just interviewed too many brides who regretted changing hotels on their wedding days due to all the hassle it caused.

^^^^That. Packing up the morning after (where if your wedding doesn't start till 7:30pm I'm assuming you're going to be up quite late) sounds like it's worth more trouble than fun.

If an extra night post cruise is really off the table and you're going to be at the Grand anyway, not to mention you still have a studio over at AK to sleep in, you could always use your comp night as a 'day room' of sorts at the Grand. But like lurkyloo mentioned there's no guarantee that the room will be ready before the official check in time, and in my opinion (which is just that!) it seems like a waste, especially for the Grand.

Every situation is different but for us, our respective parents didn't leave Orlando until we were on the cruise ship, so we really only had 7 nights totally alone for a honeymoon. We did make a rule that dinners were for us only, and some people communicate to their guests that any WDW time post-wedding is the honeymoon and don't make plans with any guests that linger. If that's what you were planning, I could definitely understand where he's coming from that 11 nights might seem long (though I still disagree ;) ) but if you think your honeymoon will be anything like ours where we were still spending time with friends any family for the days after then I highly recommend another night post cruise!

It would be nice to just go back to your resort that night if all activities are at the grand but I still think it would cause a lot of stress. Plus, the next morning, think of everything you will have to take back! Your wedding dress, suits, shoes, possibly gifts/decorations from the wedding? You have to check out at 11am, so you have to do something with your stuff.

However, if you want to do it, do it! You don't want to have regrets later on.

It sounds like they won't be checking out. Or moving all of their stuff. They would only need stuff for one night. Have one bag packed. And they would already be at the Grand for the wedding.

If they stay there, after the wedding, they could simply go upstairs to their room. They don't have to worry about taxis or buses. They are then guests until midnight the next night. So they could get up and enjoy the Grand the entire next day.
while they can enjoy the amenities, they still have to move their wedding dress/bags/wedding gifts, since they check out at 11am.

while they can enjoy the amenities, they still have to move their wedding dress/bags/wedding gifts, since they check out at 11am.
They simply have to pack it, bell services will move it. Same with going to the Grand.

But, heck, they should do what they want.

She simply asked for opinions. My opinion is, stay at the Grand for their wedding night. Make their wedding night special.

We did option 2 and it was no issue. I got ready at the Poly. Hubby took our overnight bag to GF and checked us in and got ready in his parents room. After our DP we were able to just go up to our room with all our stuff. We spent the next morning at the GF.

I would personally go with option 1. It is nice having some buffer time before the wedding to rest and relax, especially since the wedding day leading up to the wedding can be quite a blur. The wedding goes by so fast that it is nice to have plenty of time to relax so you can take in your wedding day.

We just used our complimentary night at the Boardwalk, the same resort we were staying at. My family was staying in a 2 suites through their DVC. We asked to see if we can switch rooms for a night just so there could be enough room for hair and makeup. But it was really generous of Disney because they just went ahead and upgraded our room to a Garden Room which was spacious enough for my wife, 4 bridesmaids, our moms as well as 2 people doing the hair and makeup.

Personally, I think I would choose 3 IF I'm assuming you're getting married, going on a cruise and coming back to Disney. I personally am not fond of hotel jumping. I was only going to do it for the greater good. But, I think it'd be less stressful.

Thank you for all of your input!! It really helped. We decided to go with option 1 because we would have more time to actually enjoy the GF, we could drop off the ceremony/ reception boxes, and go to a nice dinner alone and Magic Kingdom for Wishes to feel relaxed and situated before our guests come the next day :) I think we would feel more excited about the GF at the beginning of the trip before the wedding vs. the end after the cruise.

Do you guys know if the complimentary night is strictly for Wishes couples by chance? I'm an October '16 Escape bride and hadn't heard of the complimentary night. I didn't want to bring it up to my planner if it doesn't apply to me.

Thanks!

Do you guys know if the complimentary night is strictly for Wishes couples by chance? I'm an October '16 Escape bride and hadn't heard of the complimentary night. I didn't want to bring it up to my planner if it doesn't apply to me.

Thanks!

Seems to be hit and miss if Escape brides get it but if you have 25 nights booked I'd certainly ask for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter