When to go?

problemchild718

DIS Veteran
Hi all, We are planning our first trip home and although we have been to WDW many times, we have always gone in Spring or Summer. Those of you who have been in Nov, Dec or Jan, how is the weather? Are the rides open for the most part? Can the kids swim? I would like to take advantage of the lower points in Jan, but not if the kids will freeze LOL
:groom: :bride: ::MickeyMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

The weather is ... well ... "variable". We always go in early Dec and we have seen 80+ temperatures that were uncomfortably hot, and have watched Fantasmic when the temperature was just barely above 40. There have been years when we had no rain at all, but one year we had monsoons (el Niño they said) and we had more rain than the entire monthly average.

There are days that are great for swimming, days when it's OK during the afternoon, and other days when the lifeguards at SAB are freezing their butts off with NO ONE in the pools.

But in general the weather is moderate, and it's a great time of year to go. Late Nov - Early Dec is great because Christmas decorations are up, and there are very few rides closed because they want them all open over the holidays. There are a lot more closures in Jan. Typical only one of the water parks is open.

We have gone to WDW numerous times in December and January, and the weather is hit or miss. We have had 90's and 40's on the same trip! The good thing is that it is USUALLY around low to mid 70's and that is about perfect for us northerners that time of year. We use the hot tubs anyway, and there are always a few kids swimming. FYI, the pools at OKW anyway are heated.

Thank you so much for your input. This will be our first family vacation in a long while and I will be pulling the kids out of school to go. I want them to have a great time-do you think we should go a different time of year or was your visit good?

In more than 15 January trips, we have only had one where the weather was not acceptable. Our December trips were similar.

I agree. Dec., Jan., & Feb. are my favorite times for WDW. You have to pack short and long sleeves both, though, and bring jackets, hats, and gloves for some evenings. I love it!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter