• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to go?

fightinfire21

Mouseketeer
Hello, this is my first post. My wife and I are concidering takeing a trip to Disney World. Sort of like a 2nd honeymoon or one big vacation before we have kids. I kind of have two times of the year picked out. Either over May 8th next year or like the very beginning of December. The reason for the time around May 8th is because it is our anniversary and that would be nice for the second honeymoon type of thing. December would be a choice also because I hear it is cheaper and less crowded but I don't want to miss a bunch of rides that might be closed either. I would like to have some input from anyone on when they think the better of the two times are and why?
Thanks.

By the way this will be my first trip to Disney World since I was about 12 (I'm 22 now) and my wifes first trip ever. We are thinking about doing 10 days in the world and then, if the budget fits, a 4 day disney cruise. Sounds like an enjoyable 2 weeks

Welcome to the DIS Boards! :wave:

Those are both great times to visit WDW, but I would choose early December. There aren't a lot of rides closed then; that's more likely to happen in January and February. Plus, in early December you get all the extra holiday events and the wonderful holiday decorations. WDW is even more magical than usual during the holidays! :)

I vote for December also. Our 25th anniversary is in July but we are going to WDW 11/27-12/3 to celebrate it because of lower crowd volume and the Christmas decorations and special happenings like the Candlelight Processional at Epcot and MVMCP at MK.

But I'm going to be the different one and say do May!!! The Flower & Garden Fest is going on and Epcot has a concert series with various artists throughout May. I went this time last year and it was great!! The weather is nice without being too hot and the crowd level isn't bad either. It'd be nice to celebrate your anniversary at WDW!!!

The beginning of Dec. is great also, but recently it's becoming more popular due to low rates at the resorts, decorations, etc. Also this will give you an excuse to go back again in the future to see it around Christmas!!!

Good luck with your decision and welcome to DIS!!! :teeth:

You say the weather is nice in may what is it like in December? Does it get cold in the evenings? How about rain and that type of thing?

fightinfire21 said:
You say the weather is nice in may what is it like in December? Does it get cold in the evenings? How about rain and that type of thing?

I don't recall much if any rain in early Dec, but temps can range 60s to 80s during the day and anywhere from high 30s to 50s at night.

probably been every month and I would vote for early December...The decorations are great, the weather is managable and the crowds are nonexistent. You can really enjoy DIsney on your own pace.

I would like to go back to the "are there a bunch of rides closed this time of year" part of ths thread. I have heard that they shut down the water parks in December for refurb. Is this true?

Blizzard Beach usually closes in October and November, and Typhoon Lagoon usually closes in January and February. One of the water parks is always open. I think both of them are open in December, although I didn't go to the water parks during my December trips. I get cold very easily, so even with heated water I didn't feel like swimming with cooler air temperatures.

My trip this past December was exceptionally cold for Orlando, but things like that can't be predicted. I've also heard of early May trips where it was very hot, and that is a time when temps are usually pleasant. During our trip in December 2002, the temperatures were perfect - 60's and 70's during the day, 50's and 60's at night. I used to say that the only guarantee you have about Orlando weather is that the summer will be hot. But I don't even say that anymore since we took our June 2003. It rained constantly every day on that trip, and the temperatures during the day dropped to the low 60's and even the high 50's a couple of times, which is virtually unheard of in Orlando in the summer. :rolleyes:

I typically opt for December, but last year, my husband and I visited in the beginning of May and beginning of December! (I actually picked a December wedding so our honeymoon to WDW would be during a slower time!) We celebrated both our honeymoon and 5th anniversary there! So, comparing both months you are looking for, I totally opt for December! May was very hot and considerably more crowded then December. The Flower & Garden Festival was beautiful though! It was a great time for visiting the pools and waterparks but afternoons in the park were almost miserable! December is much cooler, but being from up north, it is much warmer than what we come from and go home too! Last December, we wore t-shirts and shorts during the day and sweatshirts and jeans at night. The water parks wouldn't be out of the question, but you'd definitely want to hit them during the peak of the afternoon! (Both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon were open.) We didn't experience hardly any rides in the parks being closed down due to refurbishment either. And, everything is decorated for the Christmas season...absolutely beautiful. I guess, you just need to weigh the options depending on what you are looking to do and see. Either way, I'm sure you'll both have a blast!

We just went Dec. 3-7th and it was awesome.
The weather was probably the mid-60's the 1st day and 80 by the time we left. No crowds, we walked on to Mission Space. The longest line we saw was for Stitch which I didn't go on. But the decorations are beautiful, and it's so neat walking around in shorts listening to Christmas Carols!! :wave:

go in December - it is my favorite time to visit WDW.

everything and I mean everything is decorated.

the christmas shows!

It is so very nice.

This year I am going in middle May. I have gone twice before - once close to memorial day -oh it was horrible - very, very hot like 90 degrees and the crowds were pretty bad too.

a couple of years ago went on Mother's day - again it was in 90's - that is too hot for me and I live in AL.

I am hopping for a cold spell this MAY.

although the flower and garden festavial is pretty wonderful!!!

Count me in for December. My favorite time to go. The Candlelight Procession is the highlight of our trip and coupled with the lower prices and crowds it can't be beat!

IMHO....

I would never go again in December!! :scared1:
My DH and I have been going to WDW every year since its opening in '71.......
I was there this past Dec...it was freezing 30's, 40's! :cold: :cold:

Now...Im from NJ and dont really mind the cold too much..but..wearing layers and holding on to a hot chocolate to keep my hands warm in the evenings @ the parks is NOT my idea of a vacation!!

Probably the worst part was that I didnt get to enjoy relaxing by the pool and enjoying the warm climate...which is why I came here...right??

May is a beautiful month and especially since you dont have kids...it would be my 1st choice. Do the parks in the AM..back to the pool, room in the PM to rest and relax...out in the evening. EPCOT flower festival is grand. :flower:

Pssssst....the Poly is a heavenly place for a couple !! :cloud9: :cloud9:

We loved being there in May last year-cant wait to go back in May 2006-beautiful time of year to go!

We just found out last week that my wife can't get off for December of this year so it sounds like we'll be going in May 2006. Now just where to stay, how to book it and all of those fun questions :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter