When to go

rlduvall

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are taking our 4 year old to WDW for the first time this year. I had originally planned for the first week after thanksgiving for the Christmas decorations and light attendance. Now I don't know if I can wait that long. I also want it to be plenty warm enough to take him to a waterpark. Isn't early December a little iffy on that? I have gone right after Labor Day before which is great for lack of guests, but it's awfully sweltering at that time. October used to be great for light attendance, but now I know they create lots of events at that time. What about early November? So to recap:

What is a great time for waterparks, light attendance, weather and low on-site resort rates?

Thanks.

Originally posted by rlduvall
October used to be great for light attendance, but now I know they create lots of events at that time. What about early November?
Thanks.

What kind of things have they been planning for the month of October? I would love to know. I'm thinking of heading down to WDW during Oct. of this year. I would also like to know about early November?!

Thanks,
Steven

Oct-Nov is usually the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, plus late October there's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on certain nights.

Additionally, in October they have the PGA tournament and they try to get alot of conventions to CSR. I have also read that the local schools take the kids to Epcot alot during this month.

We took our then 4y/o DD to WDW and the Disney Cruise Line in the first half of November around Veteran's Day. The weather was perfect. Hot enough to swim but not sweltering. Crowds were moderate. I think EPCOT had a wine festival and MGM had "Soap Star Week" or something similar though I may be confusing that with a May visit.

Our next trip came on Memorial Day Weekend 2001 and was a completely different experience. Very hot, extremely crowded and forest fires that added smoke to the already stifling air. We learned a valuable lesson -- stay away during peak hot weather times if possible! The parks have a distinctly different atmosphere under these circumstances. Long ride lines in the hot sun, employees and guests both become more irratible and less tolerant. Even getting a snack or meal became a hassle because of the wait times. If this had been my first exposure to WDW it would also have been my last. Main St. was wall-to-wall people

Our next trip is in early May, post spring break crowds and pre summer vacation. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

We went the first week of Dec. 2001 & the weather was absolutely awesome - we could swim at night even, however, I think it was a fluke because it sure wasn't like that this year from what I've seen & heard.

We went this past Nov. 2002 around Veteran's Day & the weather was nice. A few hot days, a few cool days (good for parks) & one rain drenching day. I guess it could be hit or miss with the weather. The parks were not crowded at all, with the exception of MGM during Super Soaps Weekend.

We were told that the week prior was Jersey Week & that it was much more crowded.

Honestly, I guess you need to decide what's more important - being able to go to a water park or seeing the Christmas decorations. Let me tell you that the Christmas decorations are awesome. The Osbourne Lights are worth the price of admission to MGM.

We have a trip planned for Nov. of next year & if schedules had allowed, I would have opted for the first week of Dec. in a heartbeat just to see the decorations again, but that's JMO.

Good luck deciding. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter