When to go to WDW?

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
We can travel any time in February, March, April and May. I am looking for a less busy week. I know, haha.

I know to avoid February during President's Day week and Easter is April 9, 2023. Is there a stickie or a website that lists school breaks, Disney races for 2023?

Second and third week of May was a really good time to go in the past since many kids were still in school. I went second week of May this year and it was way busier than usual, but it wasn't insane like President's day where every inch of the resort was wall to wall people. It was also very hot and humid.

We can travel any time in February, March, April and May. I am looking for a less busy week. I know, haha.

I know to avoid February during President's Day week and Easter is April 9, 2023. Is there a stickie or a website that lists school breaks, Disney races for 2023?
There is too much variation in school breaks to be able to keep a log of all of them. Every school district, college and university has its own schedule. Suffice it to say that late February to just after Easter is going to be busy with Spring Break crowds.

The runDisney website (Disney's official site for races) will have the dates for all WDW races. There will be a Princess Half Marathon in late February and a Springtime Surprise in mid-April.

My personal preference is for early May, before Mother's Day. Nice weather, moderate crowds. Star Wars Day (May 4th) can get very busy at HS but the other parks are okay.

I’ve been during Feb, Mar and May and definitely felt May was less busy. We do the third week since we have a long weekend then.

Problem with trying to keep a calendar is that plenty of visitors aren’t living in the US, and have different holidays.

Do a Google search for Walt Disney World crowds and you will find a couple sites with the information you are looking for.

I’ve been during Feb, Mar and May and definitely felt May was less busy.
Prepandemic:

Any week in May was slowish. Surprised a couple of times that Memorial Day weekend is basically a non event there. Could be as most northern schools/traditional
Summer only break are still in session

1st weeks of both Feb & April had unexpected cold snaps this year.

First week in March seems to be sweet spot re smaller spring break crowds

We went the first week of May this year and the crowds were low. Very nice! The 4th of May would probably be crowded in HS though.

There is too much variation in school breaks to be able to keep a log of all of them. Every school district, college and university has its own schedule. Suffice it to say that late February to just after Easter is going to be busy with Spring Break crowds.

The runDisney website (Disney's official site for races) will have the dates for all WDW races. There will be a Princess Half Marathon in late February and a Springtime Surprise in mid-April.

My personal preference is for early May, before Mother's Day. Nice weather, moderate crowds. Star Wars Day (May 4th) can get very busy at HS but the other parks are okay.
Totally agree. May is the best. If you go too early (Jan/Feb) the pools/weather is too cool to swim.

1st week of Feb is usually good but can be cold. 1st and 2nd weeks of May are also good options.

Totally agree. May is the best. If you go too early (Jan/Feb) the pools/weather is too cool to swim.
We typically take our long trip in March. You’re past most of the runs, but early enough to usually miss Easter and spring break. Points charts aren’t as good, but the weather is also a bit warmer than Jan/Feb.

We take a second, shorter, trip in September just for F&W.

We were in Epcot today and it was realitively empty. checked in at 7AM for the virtual que for Guardians at POLY and was given a boarding group of 72. Got to Epcot around 9:40 and went right onto Soarin',in fact half of the ride was empty. Oh yeah we were out of the park including Guardians by 1:30......It's HOT! But honestly from the monorail MK parking lot looks pretty empty as well.
Tomorrow night is Moonlight Magic at AK. From what we saw now is the best time to go.

Early February and early May have been less busy than other times. The rooms are typically less too indicating lower volume. Pres Day week, March and April tend to be full of families on school breaks. A video blogger I watch just went here at the end of August and the park was almost empty in some spots! I’m thinking of trying for a weekend trip next year during back to school season.

Any time February or March. Just avoid presidents days week and the week of Mardi Gras. Never in April. May is usually pretty solid but starts getting really hot.

We were in Epcot today and it was realitively empty. checked in at 7AM for the virtual que for Guardians at POLY and was given a boarding group of 72. Got to Epcot around 9:40 and went right onto Soarin',in fact half of the ride was empty. Oh yeah we were out of the park including Guardians by 1:30......It's HOT! But honestly from the monorail MK parking lot looks pretty empty as well.
Tomorrow night is Moonlight Magic at AK. From what we saw now is the best time to go.
We also found that last week in August pretty manageable crowd wise, but hot! We had a great time!

Does MLK day have a significant impact on crowds? Planning a trip in 2024 with adult kids and one significant other whose birthday is that week.

Prepandemic:
First week in March seems to be sweet spot re smaller spring break crowds
Unless Mardi Gras happens to fall then, as it did this year. It was wall-to-wall people, some of the biggest crowds I have seen. Needless to say, we will make every effort to avoid Mardi Gras in the future 🙂.

Does MLK day have a significant impact on crowds? Planning a trip in 2024 with adult kids and one significant other whose birthday is that week.

Sort of

As MLK is busy while the day after is low season.

If you are going for the week do it. It will be busy to start then quite down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter