When should you consider putting your child in a Special Ed (self contained) class??

In Luv with Disney

DIS Veteran
I hope I am asking this in the right area of the boards.

Here is a little background. My son is 5 and in Kindergarten. He is in an Inclusion Class right now. He was also in the Inclusion Pre-K class. He has SEVERE ADHD, a form of Aspergers and he needs OT twice a week. We're having BEHAVIORAL problems with him in the classroom. He has meltdowns when things don't go EXACTLY his way. He has a para that is with him ALL day, to help him make the right decisions.

The school wants to put him in a Special Ed/Self Contained class. There are only 6 kids in that class! I am REALLY against it right now, as is his Behavioral Psychologist. He is on medication since December and we have definitely seen an improvement since he started the meds. I want him to at least TRY to function in the 1st grade classroom as a "regular" student. If it doesn't work out, then I can move him IF I decide that is what I want to do. His teachers tell me he will not make it in the Inclusion class because of his behaviors and that he is setting himself up for failure. However, I think it will RUIN his self esteem to be placed in a class with only 6 kids! He LOVES that he has so many "friends" in his class. Not that he has any close friends, since he really plays alone now. But he still likes them all regardless.

I am babbling, I am sorry. But I just don't know what to do. I am going to the school tomorrow to observe the Inclusion 1st Grade class, as well as the Self Contained Class.

The school has also offered me to have DS spend the summer in the Self Contained program...no charge. It's from 9a-1p every day, they go on Field trips every Wed, they go to the local pool, etc. I think it will be a GREAT opportunity for him, and we can see how the program is.

What should I be considering at this point? Am I wrong for not considering the Self Contained class for September?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also note, that he is INCREDIBLY smart, so I am not worried about his academics AT ALL. It's his social skills that are REALLY lacking.

What is the set-up in the inclusion class? (Is there one regular-ed teacher and one special ed teacher? Is there just one regular-ed teacher with an aide? etc.) That makes a big difference. What size are the inclusion classes?

What accommodations are currently being made for your son in his inclusion class?

(I am the regular-ed half of an inclusion team -- at the secondary level -- but still, the answers to these questions might help with advice. If your child is just in a regular ed class that has special needs children thrown in without a special ed teacher's presence, that makes it different than if there is a special ed teacher there.)

Is there an in-between possibility? Self-contained for math lessons and included for language and reading perhaps? It sounds like your school is trying very hard to go for an all-or-nothing answer, but there is so much in the middle.

A word about summer programs: Even if you don't accept the self-contained classroom, your child may be eligible for summer services if it would help provide continuity in his development. Discuss this at your IEP meeting regardless.

Sorry so many questions. I hate it when districts offer one choice or another with no options in the middle.

Julie

If he is seriously disturbing the other students with his behavior and making learning for them difficult, then I would consider it.

My son spent most of his education in a self-contained room. He absolutely thrived in that atmosphere with more one-on-one attention and less mayhem than you would find in a class of 23 kids. His self-esteem was destroyed, if anything it was bolstered. As he gets older, he will become subject to ridicule by those "friends" for his behaviours, which will be accepted (ignored is probably a better word) by the friends he will make in the self-contained class.

In all honesty it was a terrific opportunity to work with SpEd teachers that "got it" as opposed to mainstream teachers that all to often don't. In addition to academics, a self-contained classroom also teaches behavioral skills, usually with a behavioral modification point system.

By your description, your son is not functioning in a mainstream classroom, and not only is he disrupting others, he's disrupting his own acedemics, because he is not in an environment conducive to his needs.

You do realize that under the law, the school has the right to place your child in the least restrictive environment that is appropriate for his needs, with or without your permission, right? If you do not agree with the IEP, then you'll all end up in court. I believe in your case you will lose. (I say that as someone who did sue my sons district over placement. In his case it was an out-of-district placement that was a disaster. I won.)

IMHO you are only holding your son back by not giving him a chance to get the best possible education. He'll make friends in the new class and you can arrange playdates with children from the other class. I also think that deep down, leaving his "friends" isn't the only reason you don't want him in the self-contained classroom...

Anne

What is the set-up in the inclusion class? (Is there one regular-ed teacher and one special ed teacher? Is there just one regular-ed teacher with an aide? etc.) That makes a big difference. What size are the inclusion classes?

What accommodations are currently being made for your son in his inclusion class?
He spends time in another classroom with a Special Ed teacher working on SKILLS. He also gets OT services twice a week...once is a push in, and once he gets taken out.

(I am the regular-ed half of an inclusion team -- at the secondary level -- but still, the answers to these questions might help with advice. If your child is just in a regular ed class that has special needs children thrown in without a special ed teacher's presence, that makes it different than if there is a special ed teacher there.)
There is a regular ed teacher and a teacher's aid. The teacher's aid is in the classroom right now spending 99% of her time with my son.

Is there an in-between possibility? Self-contained for math lessons and included for language and reading perhaps? It sounds like your school is trying very hard to go for an all-or-nothing answer, but there is so much in the middle.
I was told that slowly as the year progresses, he will be put into the general ed classroom for specific tasks (reading, math, etc.) He will also be with the general ed class for specials (gym, music, etc)

A word about summer programs: Even if you don't accept the self-contained classroom, your child may be eligible for summer services if it would help provide continuity in his development. Discuss this at your IEP meeting regardless.
They offered it to me regardless of where he ends up in September. My meeting is on 5/7 and he will officially be scheduled for the summer program. I am happy about that.

Sorry so many questions. I hate it when districts offer one choice or another with no options in the middle.

Julie

Thank you for whatever advice you can give me, I really do appreciate it.

My son spent most of his education in a self-contained room. He absolutely thrived in that atmosphere with more one-on-one attention and less mayhem than you would find in a class of 23 kids. His self-esteem was destroyed, if anything it was bolstered. As he gets older, he will become subject to ridicule by those "friends" for his behaviours, which will be accepted (ignored is probably a better word) by the friends he will make in the self-contained class.

In all honesty it was a terrific opportunity to work with SpEd teachers that "got it" as opposed to mainstream teachers that all to often don't. In addition to academics, a self-contained classroom also teaches behavioral skills, usually with a behavioral modification point system.

By your description, your son is not functioning in a mainstream classroom, and not only is he disrupting others, he's disrupting his own acedemics, because he is not in an environment conducive to his needs.

You do realize that under the law, the school has the right to place your child in the least restrictive environment that is appropriate for his needs, with or without your permission, right? If you do not agree with the IEP, then you'll all end up in court. I believe in your case you will lose. (I say that as someone who did sue my sons district over placement. In his case it was an out-of-district placement that was a disaster. I won.)

IMHO you are only holding your son back by not giving him a chance to get the best possible education. He'll make friends in the new class and you can arrange playdates with children from the other class. I also think that deep down, leaving his "friends" isn't the only reason you don't want him in the self-contained classroom...

Anne

My school district is great...as of now, they say I have to agree to whatever they want to do with my son. We will discuss all the possibilities at my CSE meeting on 5/7.

Yes, he is disrupting the classroom...that is one of the ONLY reasons why I am even CONSIDERING the self contained class. He is not disrupting his own academics...YET.

And you were right about your statement about deep down him leaving his friends isn't the only reason I don't want him in the Self Contained class. I can't help but have preconceived notions about the Self Contained class based on my experience growing up. Everyone always made fun of the kids in "Special Ed". Those kids had no friends and they were considered trouble makers. I can't help but remember all of those kids now...yes, it is clouding my judgment.

After my meeting this morning, ultimately I think that MAYBE the Self Contained classroom is the BEST place for him to start. The school also said that if he excels, in a few months he can spend the morning in the Self Contained classroom and the afternoon in a General Ed class...but that depends on when he is ready to do so. Like I said in my above post, they also said that he will be spending time daily with the General Ed class, which is good. So instead of just dealing with 6 kids in the Self Contained class, he will make friends with everyone.

I am so torn...but at least I have the summer program to look forward to for him. I REALLY believe it will help him, and get him ready for 1st grade. I am also starting Social Skills Training in the summer which will also benefit him.

Sorry to babble...thanks for listening. :coffee:

My son is in a self contained class (SAC - specialized academic curriculum as they like to call it here). I was so confused as to whether to fight for full inclusion because I am told and read constantly inclusion inclusion inclusion. But, in our school district, there would have only been a regular ed teacher in the class and an assistant that was shared by other K classes. Also, they do not give one-on-one aides unless it is physically necessary. Bottom line is he would have been completely lost in a class with 24 kids. Socially it may have been better, but he wouldn't have learned a lot. His class now has 9 children. And he is learning!!! I cannot believe all he has learned since he started Kindergarten. I still wish there was a way for him to get the education plus the socialization but unless a district is doing it correctly, it is hard to get.

He attends the after school program and that has been the best thing for him socially. I can say that everytime I am at the school children and adults walk by and say hello to my son. A lot of people know him. And a lot of kids in the after school program kind of help him. They hug him bye when my DH picks him up and he has two "girlfriends" there too.

Of course this is elementary school and I am very worried about when he gets in the later grades because children (and adults) can definitely be cruel.

I do know some children who are in the SAC class only for part of the day, so maybe (like you said) if he does well, he can go to regular classes for some things.

It is sooo hard knowing whether you are doing the right thing. Every day I wonder if I chose the right thing for him.

Good luck!!!

Sandra

The school has also offered me to have DS spend the summer in the Self Contained program...no charge. It's from 9a-1p every day, they go on Field trips every Wed, they go to the local pool, etc. I think it will be a GREAT opportunity for him, and we can see how the program is.

As you stated above your son has been given a wonderful opportunity to try out the summer program. Throughout the summer, you will have a chance to see how he manages in that environment and then be able to make a decision about placement for the fall.

When DD (very similar issues as your son) started kindgergarten, her therapy team reccommended keeping her in pre-school for one more year since the student:teacher ratio was so much lower. Instead, I opted to enrol her in kindergarten to see how it went. I was so worried for so many months about this decision. I wish I had been offered a summer program "to try it out".

Good luck with your decision.
Your son is very lucky to have such a concerned and caring mom:goodvibes

ducklite;18369042 You do realize that under the law said:
I can't really begin to address whether or not the OP's child should be in a self-contained class. However,as someone else said, they do seem to be taking an all or nothing approach. Your DS could spend as much as 50% of his day in a resource room setting and still integrate for at least part of the day in the mainstreamed environment. But again, I don't know enough about the OP's situation to have a strong opinion.

I do need to comment on the above quote. A parent can refuse any or all services offered in an IEP. A school can take a parent to court to force an evaluation, but they can't force services on them. I should say, that they can't LEGALLY force them.

As you stated above your son has been given a wonderful opportunity to try out the summer program. Throughout the summer, you will have a chance to see how he manages in that environment and then be able to make a decision about placement for the fall.

When DD (very similar issues as your son) started kindgergarten, her therapy team reccommended keeping her in pre-school for one more year since the student:teacher ratio was so much lower. Instead, I opted to enrol her in kindergarten to see how it went. I was so worried for so many months about this decision. I wish I had been offered a summer program "to try it out".

Good luck with your decision.
Your son is very lucky to have such a concerned and caring mom:goodvibes

Thank you SOOOO MUCH for saying that!!!! I agree that I am lucky he is being given this summer opportunity.

I can't really begin to address whether or not the OP's child should be in a self-contained class. However,as someone else said, they do seem to be taking an all or nothing approach. Your DS could spend as much as 50% of his day in a resource room setting and still integrate for at least part of the day in the mainstreamed environment. But again, I don't know enough about the OP's situation to have a strong opinion.

I do need to comment on the above quote. A parent can refuse any or all services offered in an IEP. A school can take a parent to court to force an evaluation, but they can't force services on them. I should say, that they can't LEGALLY force them.

Thank you very much for your response. When I go to my CSE meeting, I will get clarity about EXACTLY how much time he will spend in a General Education classroom. The school psychiatrist that I toured with today explained that he WILL be spending time with the "regular" class every day, she just didn't say exactly how much time. She said every child's situation is different. They currently have a first grader who spends every morning in the self contained environment. Then after lunch, he is in a general ed classroom for the rest of the day. Some kids to to the general ed class for a few hours, some for just an hour...it all depends on the child.

Thank you ALL for your opinions! I really do appreciate them.

Resource room and a self-contained classroom are two VERY different animals. Resource room will help reinforce various concepts, but behaviour modification isn't one of them.

A school can kick a disruptive child out. Of course they have to offer an education, and can do so by offering a return in a self-contained room, an out-of district placement, or home instruction. That is how they get around it. And if you think that they don't, you are simply kidding yourself. And that is perfectly within the laws set up by IDEA. Yes, a parent becomes an "equal partner," but when push comes to shove, unless the parent can show a compelling reason to not accept an IEP written by the school (and the OP's admitted pre-conceived bias is not a compelling reason), the courts will side with the district.

Unless a parent can prove in court that the school is not offering the least restrictive environment (which in this case mainstream is obviously not working to the child's best interest--they will argue that the child needs a behavior mod system to learn the social skills needed for continued educational advances--and they are right) or have failed to educate the student through gross negligence (which was what my situation was) the school will win in court.

Anne

Terminology clearly varies by state and school system as far as the previous posting regarding resource room and self-contained. I have taught children with special needs for the past 24 years, and the title of my program has varied from learning lab to resource room to educational support services. Despite the name, my job was to look at the whole child academically, socially and behaviorally. Our school team typically includes a psychologist, speech/langauge pathologist, OT and PT and sometimes social worker. Our efforts are integrated so that our children have opportunities to reinforce their skills throughout the day. My advice as far as placement of your child would be to observe the program being recommended so that you are makling an informed decision. Also, I think it matters if you have confidence and trust in your team to be making recommendations on his behalf. If you do truly trust the team (which you are an integral part of), then you should feel comfortable sharing your reservations and asking for answers to aid in your decision. Their responses and justification for the self-contained program should ease your concerns. I also believe that making an attempt to address at this young age is beneficial since you want to establish positive behaviors and routines to make for a solid foundation for future growth. Good luck!:flower3:

Resource room and a self-contained classroom are two VERY different animals. Resource room will help reinforce various concepts, but behaviour modification isn't one of them.

A school can kick a disruptive child out. Of course they have to offer an education, and can do so by offering a return in a self-contained room, an out-of district placement, or home instruction. That is how they get around it. And if you think that they don't, you are simply kidding yourself. And that is perfectly within the laws set up by IDEA. Yes, a parent becomes an "equal partner," but when push comes to shove, unless the parent can show a compelling reason to not accept an IEP written by the school (and the OP's admitted pre-conceived bias is not a compelling reason), the courts will side with the district.

Unless a parent can prove in court that the school is not offering the least restrictive environment (which in this case mainstream is obviously not working to the child's best interest--they will argue that the child needs a behavior mod system to learn the social skills needed for continued educational advances--and they are right) or have failed to educate the student through gross negligence (which was what my situation was) the school will win in court.

Anne

I'm sure you've had some very negative experiences with school districts. Individual districts and even some states don't exactly follow the letter of the law. They count on parents not having th einformation or resources to fight them. However, they can't simply place a child without some form of parental approval. When it comes to removing a disruptive child, the law is extremely restrictive for the school district. A child with an IEP can only be suspended for 10 school days in a school year. They can only be removed to an alternative education setting without a due process hearing if they are caught dealing drugs or bring a weapon to school. With or without a heariing, they can only be removed to an alternative education setting for 45 school days.

I also understand that a self-contained classroom and resource room are two different things. However, the needs of each child need to be considered when designing that child's program. Many schools have both self-contained classrooms and resource rooms where children spend part of the day in one and part of the day in a mainstreamed environment. I was only pointing out that there is a continuum of service options available (or should be) and that the OP should make sure she's being given all the options for her son.

Lastly, I'm sure you are a very good advocate for your son's needs and that you know what the individual districts you've been in have tried to get away with. However, I'm not fooling myself in any way. I've had considerable training as a special education parent (volunteer) advocate and have a fairly good grasp of what the changes in IDEA 2004 mean for children like my son.

I have to comment here - the school will place the child where THEY DECIDE until all the legal stuff is done, and it seems they want self-contained. The parent of course has the right to find an alternative setting until the court battle is done and then ask for reimbursement for money spent on the alternative school if they win the battle.

I teach self-contained Pre-K and now have 8 kids and 1.5 aides( one leaves at lunch). 4 in diapers, 3 autistic with meltdowns, and 1 who really needs to be somewhere else with a one to one aide for his protection. For the rest of the year I am just babysitting because I can't do any teaching with the behavior problems I have in there - especially the new ADHD guy I got 2 weeks ago who is a safety risk and needs a body on him at all times.

The self-contained K-3 class in my school has 7 students with 1 teacher, 3 aides, and one student teacher. The inclusion K has 18 students and one teacher - and my half-time assistant goes in to that class with 2 students who need math help in the afternoon.

Which way would you go???? I'd go self-contained in a minute if you are concerned with academics. OP said the child was smart and she didn't care if he was learning, so being around typically developing kids seems to be her goal. But the school knows the child won't be able to go to the regular 1st grade without an aide which they won't hire just for him so they are of course going to staff him into a self-contained and try to make the parent believe it is the best placement.

OP - do what feels right for your child - but also consider what having your child's behavioral issues means to the other kids in the classroom. If you are looking for friends for your child watch out because the parents in that class wil not be happy if their kids education is compromised because your child acts up and takes all the teacher's attention.

Perhaps the self-contaned class with a sport or hobby your child enjoys would be the best way to get him around typical peers?

Okay, we're getting slightly OT, but this is the way it legally goes. If a district is proposing a change in IEP placement/services that the parent doesn't agree with, the parent shouldn't sign off on the new IEP. The reason for this is that the party proposing a change is the party who has the burden of proof.

This means that if a child is in an inclusion class, and the district wants to put them in self-contained the parents need to sign off on the new IEP first. If they refuse to sign off, the current IEP is still in place and it's the district who has to go through due process and prove why they have to change the IEP. If the parents mistakenly sign off on the IEP even if they disagree with it, then it's the parents who need to seek out due process to attempt to get the child back in the placement they want.

Also, a parent can refuse services. I've refused summer services and, if I chose, I could refuse all services for my DS. Districts can, with court order, force an evaluation on a child/parents (even homeschooled children), but they can't force parents to sign off on IEP's placing their child in special education.

The laws are complex and while individual states may interpret them differently, they're federally mandated. Many school districts get away with illegal placements because they count on parents not knowing their rights and not having the money for legal representation. One local school district got away with illegal actions for years until they recently were losers in a lawsuit that awarded a group of children/parents $3,000,000 in punitive damages for both failing to provide a FAPE and for intimidation.

The more informed parents are the less the districts can get away with.

Again, this is seperate from the issue of whether or not the OP's son would be best served in an inclusion or self-contained classroom.

I teach self-contained Pre-K and now have 8 kids and 1.5 aides( one leaves at lunch). 4 in diapers, 3 autistic with meltdowns, and 1 who really needs to be somewhere else with a one to one aide for his protection. For the rest of the year I am just babysitting because I can't do any teaching with the behavior problems I have in there - especially the new ADHD guy I got 2 weeks ago who is a safety risk and needs a body on him at all times.

The self-contained K-3 class in my school has 7 students with 1 teacher, 3 aides, and one student teacher. The inclusion K has 18 students and one teacher - and my half-time assistant goes in to that class with 2 students who need math help in the afternoon.

Which way would you go???? I'd go self-contained in a minute if you are concerned with academics. OP said the child was smart and she didn't care if he was learning, so being around typically developing kids seems to be her goal. But the school knows the child won't be able to go to the regular 1st grade without an aide which they won't hire just for him so they are of course going to staff him into a self-contained and try to make the parent believe it is the best placement.

Gee, your post seems to offer the strongest argument against self-contained. I'm sorry you feel that you're babysitting much of the year, but maybe you need to speak up at the meetings and request more aides for your class, or maybe teaching in a self-contained classroom isn't your true calling.

Why would a parent want their child placed in a classroom where little learning was occurring? The problem with some self-contained classrooms is that the most severe behavior needs children are placed there without the staff or training to support them.

Gee, your post seems to offer the strongest argument against self-contained. I'm sorry you feel that you're babysitting much of the year, but maybe you need to speak up at the meetings and request more aides for your class, or maybe teaching in a self-contained classroom isn't your true calling.

Why would a parent want their child placed in a classroom where little learning was occurring? The problem with some self-contained classrooms is that the most severe behavior needs children are placed there without the staff or training to support them.

OK - Massive Vent here........You are absoluteluy correct that I am unhappy with my situation. And if you think for one minute I haven't complained all the way to the head of ESE you are wrong. "There is no budget left Wait until next school year. There's ony 6 more weeks, what does it matter? They're only in Pre-K and the other kids are doing academics so we need your aide." I hear this every day. Lately I have been bringing my new out of control child to the office for every violent infraction so they see me and see that I need help, but that also makes it look like I can't handle the class and makes me look bad to the principal.

I LOVE my class and it was working well, if a bit understaffed prior to my new addition 2 weeks ago. I have gotten so many learning gains, behavior was complimeted on in a staff meeting that my class was the best they had ever seen. That is why they took one of my aides half-time, I was TOO SUCESSFUL!!!! (note to self- never be to good again) Now it is chaos and it isn't going to change until someone gets hurt, which is what I am doing everything to avoid.

So, please know that the happy-rosie picture of adding more aides when you add more children isn't my life - especially in my district when the only children to get one to one aides are violent offenders. Kids who could be helped with a one on one aide to keep them on track don't qualify for assistance.

Just a side note, my DS6 is ASD too, I have lots of experience in my school district with how far they are willing to go and how much pushing will get you anything. Because of the time I spent in intensive therapy with him I knew where my calling in life was... pre-k special ed. It's what I do, it's where I am good, it's a place where I can be a parent advocate and a teacher.

OK - Back to the OP - yes, my comments are exactly why they should think carefully about going into self-contained. Been there lived the life and got the scars for it. Every child who has issues needs a typicaly developing peer to model behavior from (if possible and if the child even attends to life around him) But, OP said SEVERE ADHD and aspergers and I can just see that child failing miserably in a regular class and being shuffled out of the inclusion class right away for the safety of the other children. Going to the meeting asking for a one to one aide so he can continue in the inclusion classroom with his friends seems to be the best way to go.

I have a son 9 ASD that had a fulltime assistant in a regular ed classroom since PreK. I also have an avocate that goes into every IEP meeting with me. The law states he has to be in the least restrictive environment. The district offen wants to put them in a self contained environment so it is cheaper. One special ed teacher and one assistant. The reason why my son is so high functioning is because he has never seen other autistic children. Our children will mimic bad behaviors. If he has some behavioral issues you do not know what other children and issues are in that classroom. Do not give up. My son had some behavioral issues. Get the school to call in a Behavioral analyst. Just say he needs additional support. They will have to provide it. I have been down that road, ultimately the district and the school system is not your friend. Please consider!!! Once he gets put into a self contained class it is difficult or impossible to get him out!

I have a son 9 ASD that had a fulltime assistant in a regular ed classroom since PreK. I also have an avocate that goes into every IEP meeting with me. The law states he has to be in the least restrictive environment. The district offen wants to put them in a self contained environment so it is cheaper. One special ed teacher and one assistant. The reason why my son is so high functioning is because he has never seen other autistic children. Our children will mimic bad behaviors. If he has some behavioral issues you do not know what other children and issues are in that classroom. Do not give up. My son had some behavioral issues. Get the school to call in a Behavioral analyst. Just say he needs additional support. They will have to provide it. I have been down that road, ultimately the district and the school system is not your friend. Please consider!!! Once he gets put into a self contained class it is difficult or impossible to get him out!

I agree with the above post.
A Behavior Support Plan or for more serious issues a Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) and a mainstream class (with an aide) is my preference. If your child needs a break later in the day (mine does he is way too overwhelmed as the day goes on) resource time or other options may be something to consider. Also the right teacher is crucial - not every mainstream teacher is right for that task. Just my two cents from what I have experienced. I realize every child and situation is different so you know what's best for your child. Sometimes it's hard to get to that fork in the road and take it.
I hope you are able to find the best solution for your child and kudos for all you do for him. Happy Mother's Day! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter