When preparing food to bring to a holiday dinner...

How much consideration do you give to the other guests likes and dislikes?

• Only bring something that you are sure everyone will like.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Bring food that some guests will probably like

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • The heck with it, I like it so I'm bringing it

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Other, because there has to be an other

Votes: 10 13.2%

• Total voters
With Thanksgiving coming up, DH and I had our annual conversation about what to take to the family dinner. They can be picky eaters and don't always take to new foods. I know that none of them can tolerate spicy foods so I never bring anything with any flavor, sorry, spice.

Since the meal is traditionally very carb heavy (except the turkey) and I can't eat carbs, I suggested bringing sausage filled mushroom caps as one of our appetizers. Please note, that we usually bring 2-4 items.

DH was concerned that his family might not eat something like that. My answer was "so what?" there are plenty of other offerings so who cares if they don't like one of the many items.

We have hd this conversation many ties before. Last year, for example, I wanted to bring the spinach salad, fully assembled (except the salad dressing) but he wanted to bring five different serving bowls incase someone didn't want this ingredient or that. I won the argument because I said that the host would nt have enough room on the table for five bowls in case one person didn't like onions or bacon or mushrooms or whatever.

So, what do you all do when deciding what foods to bring to someone else's house?
Make the Sausage filled Mushroom Caps!!!!!

With Thanksgiving coming up, DH and I had our annual conversation about what to take to the family dinner. They can be picky eaters and don't always take to new foods. I know that none of them can tolerate spicy foods so I never bring anything with any flavor, sorry, spice.

Since the meal is traditionally very carb heavy (except the turkey) and I can't eat carbs, I suggested bringing sausage filled mushroom caps as one of our appetizers. Please note, that we usually bring 2-4 items.

DH was concerned that his family might not eat something like that. My answer was "so what?" there are plenty of other offerings so who cares if they don't like one of the many items.

We have hd this conversation many ties before. Last year, for example, I wanted to bring the spinach salad, fully assembled (except the salad dressing) but he wanted to bring five different serving bowls incase someone didn't want this ingredient or that. I won the argument because I said that the host would nt have enough room on the table for five bowls in case one person didn't like onions or bacon or mushrooms or whatever.

So, what do you all do when deciding what foods to bring to someone else's house?

As someone with food allergies, my number one rule is to bring something I can eat. So, I'm in the "other" category.

For you, since you can't eat carbs, the sausage mushroom caps sound great. A cheeseboard might also be nice.

I bring what I think most people will like, but I don't worry too much about allergies or specific preferences unless I know it's something life-threatening, like my SIL's nut allergy. When we host and I ask people to bring dishes to pass, I take it upon myself to make sure there is an alternative offering for people with allergies (as far as I know) just in case there isn't anything they can make work for them.
When DD was younger, she was a vegetarian. We always made sure we brought her main dish when we'd go places, not expecting people to cater to her dietary choices. She happily ate macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving dinner for many years, rounded out by veggies and mashed potatoes. Maybe not balanced, but she was happy.

When bringing a food item I normally check with the host to see what they need. My friends will usually ask for a specific dish, that way they don’t end up with 4 of the same item. They normally ask me to bake. For friends thanksgiving I have been asked to bring a caramel apple cheesecake, for friends Christmas I’ll bring a large cookie platter.

I bring whatever I do well, unless there is a known allergy. FWIW, I've been making very popular sausage stuffed mushrooms for decades, and I actually don't eat them (not enough of a big fan of mushrooms to want to eat a whole large one.) I have a good recipe, I know that many people will like them, so I bring them. The vegetarians politely pass, and my feelings are not hurt. I grew up in South Louisiana, and many people really want real Cajun food, while others are terrified of it. I don't get my feelings hurt if someone won't eat what I bring because they think it's spicy, either. I even bring homemade crawfish bread, which some people get all icked out about, while the rest of us chow down, LOL.

Giving your DH the benefit of the doubt on motivation, he might be trying to make sure his family doesn't get insulted and insult you in return. If you will be skipping most of the dishes made by the hosts, but bringing your own dish that most of THEM won't eat, he may know his family well enough to know that they will interpret this as "so our food isn't good/fancy enough for you, hmmm?"

What is it they won't like -- the stuffing, or the mushrooms? If it's the shrooms, then double the stuffing recipe and put half of it in little biscuit cups (made in a mini-cupcake pan.) Then you can just say that you knew that *some* of them don't care for mushrooms, so you made a biscuit version, too. Five will get you 10 they will eat the biscuit version and like it; occasion for insult averted by splitting the recipe.

Maybe a combination of all options. We tend to bring at least 2 different items to most family dinners.

I always make sure to bring something I think most people will like. Kind of like a good old standby that everyone enjoys. After all, the idea is to share the food with others.

In addition to that, I may bring something we like or a new dish for people to try. But the first thing is always something I think most would eat.

If YOU have dietary restrictions and YOU are making the food, then bring something YOU can eat. Maybe tone it down a little so it's closer to traditional type food if that appeases your husband. My kids have discovered lots of new favorites at family dinners. Things I wouldn't dream of making at home without them asking. Also, I have a daughter who is vegetarian so I typically take one meat based dish and one veggie based dish. I force no one to eat either and she gets excited when she gets to bring home leftovers.

I would make the stuffed mushrooms. Worst case, only you eat them, you fill up on them (since you can't have a lot of the other items), and maybe bring some home.

It's unrealistic to expect everyone to like everything served at a big gathering--even without allergies, special diets, and pickiness. So long as you're clear on what ingredients you use, and there's plenty of other stuff-why sweat it?

I also have a DD who's pescatarian--the only outright accommodation I make is, I make my stuffing with vegetable broth instead of turkey--she loves stuffing! While she won't eat turkey, she loves mac and cheese (always have that, so she has a main dish), and I have a great sweet potato casserole recipe that's delicious and also very substantial--I could eat just that as a meal, and I'm a carnivore! And of course things like mashed potatoes, salad, green beans, whatever. And pie, of course.

Who knows--maybe a few people will try your mushrooms and love them. I would!

I don’t like turkey or dressing or green beans or whole cranberry sauce, etc. plus I’m allergic to mushrooms…so I bring what I like (broccoli casserole with cream of celery and candied sweets without marshmallows) so I’ll have something to eat. If others want some it’s fine, if not, more leftovers for me!

As the "picky eater" in my family, I personally don't expect anyone else to cater to me. I bring things I can eat to make sure I have something and make enough for anyone else who wants some to have plenty. If there's already a decent amount of food everyone will like, I don't see any issue in bringing something you know you'll eat. If others want to try it, great, and if they don't, great that just means leftovers for you to bring home.

It sounds to me like a lot of people are bringing food YOU can't eat. So why can't you bring an item or two THEY can't/won't eat?

Bring what you like to eat - it may be that they have nothing you can or want to eat.
If they want to try it great.

That said always bring wine or beer or something else that they will appreciate even if they are serving stuff you wont eat over and over again every year.

For starters, despite what @ronandannette may believe ;), I wouldn’t bring ANYTHING without clearing it with the hostess first.
I’ll ask if the hosts need anything. If the answer is yes, they can request something or I’ll make a suggestion, and then follow their requests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter