When is a good time/month to go?

spongebobxxx

Earning My Ears
I don't want to go to the parks when there crowded but I do want to go to an ocean beach but I don't want to find it's not open. Maybe the climates warm enough in that area so I don't have to even consider that :confused3 . So when should a first timer plan the trip?

What kind of attractions close around the area in the Winter months anyway?

During the winter, you pretty much only find surfers and tourists at the beach--the rest of us think it's too cold to be there, except on those occasional warm days we get (they're always open, but there probably aren't lifegurds on duty). Water parks also close during the winter. To avoid crowds May is usually pretty quiet in the parks (though probably not this year as the 50th is still going). September is usually good, too as schools are back in session (again avoiding any special events). October is usually good, too, and the weather is still pretty warm during the day.

As Jen said, I would aim for May (early May is probably better to avoid crowds), late Sept., or Oct. In any of the months you'll want to avoid any holiday weekends. Those are always busier. This year I would avoid Sept/ Oct as the some of the 50th celebration is ending around then and I expect things to be pretty busy.

If you really want to avoid crowds, then follow other advice given by others. FWIW, there are some downsides to going off-season, and I will list a few.

1. As you mention, attractions - DLR tries hard to keep these open during peak times, and closes them for refurb during off-season. Be aware that Sept is good time for low crowds, but that is when Haunted Mansion typically is taken down for several weeks to install holiday overlays. Small World goes down in Oct for the same reason. In Jan/Feb they both go down still again to take the overlays off.

2. Shows - During off-season shows and fireworks are scheduled less frequently, making them harder to see. During high season shows go every day, sometimes twice a day. So working in shows is easier.

3. Water rides - Off season usually means colder weather, and rides like Splash Mtn and Grizzley River Run are not as fun and often avoided for fear of getting wet. In summer, it is a relief to get wet.

4. Park Hours - In off season park hours are shorter. So while there are less people, there are less hours to see the park. In high season the hours are maxed out, and despite the crowds you can do a lot in the morning and evening if you stay at a close by hotel and take long afternoon breaks.

Here is a recent post I made that makes suggestions on dealing with high season at DLR: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=12294563&postcount=7. During our trip last August 1-4 we never waited in line for a ride more than 20 minutes. Most of the time the lines were less than 10 minutes. If you are willing to do some planning, you can get the best of both worlds - namely, lots of rides and shows with short lines.

If you go the 2nd week of Sept. you will have great weather, and no crowds, plus you still have all the perks of summer hours and shows!

But remember, this year the second week of Sept is the Half-marathon......to the tune of 10,000 runners!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter