When do you put away the Christmas decorations?

When do you put away the Christmas decorations?

• Dec 26

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Between Dec 26 and the 31st

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Jan 1 or 2

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Around Jan 8 or so

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.8%

• Total voters
OK, tree is down, outdoor decorations put away, carpet vacuumed, furniture put back where it belongs, and..... the biggie for this year - I sorted out all the tree/indoor decorations into 3 groups (one for each kid still at home, and one for us).

Took all but the basement tree down on Dec 26... I don't know when I will take that down, I will miss having nothing Christmassy. It is only like a 4ft tree so it is not like it is a big deal to have that up.

We keep ours up until after Epiphany.

Depending on weather, we keep our outside decorations up until the first warmish day after Epiphany, but we unplug them after the 5th.
Us too and since it was the 6th and Orthodox Christmas was the 7th, we turned the lights off yesterday. I never have the gumption to tackle it after work so today is the day it all comes down, inside and out. DS is a little sad but as much as I enjoy the festive decor, I also love how much tidier and more spacious things feel when it’s all put away.

We took down things on Tues and Wed, this week. Normal Christmas stuff that we put up every year.

But we have single candles in the living room windows , a 2 ft fiber optic tree , some Christmas twinkle lights and manger scene on the table in the living room all year long. The tree and the lights......DH likes to sit in there in the evening in the dark, listening to music and seeing the tree glow. The manger scene came from my sister who passed away a dozen years ago. I just like it.

It’s a sunny day here, so I took down the outdoor Christmas lights. Now, I am completely done. The inside decorations were all down on New Year’s Day, but I was waiting for the right day to work outside.

I usually wait until the first snow day (I'm a teacher) so it varies. No snow days this year as they've all been converted to remote days if we need one, so I'm thinking MLK Jr. day. Outdoor decorations came down during a nice day in between Christmas and New Years.

Tree ornaments came off and were boxed up Thursday, and the Scouts picked the tree up early this morning. Two crates of other things that been taken down, but were still spread all over the "dining room table" were finally boxed up today, as were the few things from from upstairs. And I got the plate rack changed back over. I still need to do the two shelves of Santas and snowmen, but I'm getting there.

Normally I like to get them down in the week between Christmas and New Year so it is done before I go back to school. This year that didn't happen. Our big tree in the living room just came down today and I put away all the knick/knack stuff. We have several smaller trees in the bedrooms that I will try and get down in the next few days, but it very well may be the end of January before it's all down and put away.

I voted Jan. 8, but my official date is “the weekend after Jan. 6, unless it’s completely freezing or raining or snowing, then it might be a bit later,” but somehow that wasn’t a choice. :rotfl:

I was surprised by the Jan 8th date too, I expected the 7th. I know a lot of people don't think about Epiphany if they're not religious or of a religion that follows a liturgical calendar, but it always surprises me that more people don't do the 12 days of Christmas. The 12th day is the 5th so I keep at least some of Christmas up until then, Epiphany is the 6th so we keep lights, candles, and religious themed stuff up until then just because it we like to keep acknowledging the season until then. So at my house everything officially gets put away (or at least turned off and started to pack up) on the 7th or the first opportunity after the 6th. Most of our stuff got taken down over the last few days and we put the rest away this morning. I have a manger scene piece of art I still have up though - sometimes I keep it up through about February.

My absolute favorite part of Christmas is Dec 26th through Jan 1st. (DH and I both have/had jobs that shut down during that time, so it's always a big family vacation time.) This year we didn't see people or go anywhere so it was kind of a bust, but I enjoyed having our decor up even more. It's a perfect relaxing time enjoying Christmas without worrying about preparing for Christmas!

Last edited:
I took everything down after Jan 2. The week after Christmas is a slower time and I really enjoy the decorations. This year I left one small lighted tree up since it’s dark so early and we are spending so much more time home and indoors. I just like the extra glow.

Just did ours today. We're usually in no hurry and leave them up through mid-January, but my daughter offered to help, and she's heading back to school next week. So it was now or wait until spring break. ;)

We took the outdoor lights down really fast after work Epiphany evening this week before it got dark. Dh and I both had the idea the same time.

This weekend is the Baptism of the Lord and our church takes decorations down after Mass tomorrow.

We will take our inside decorations down tomorrow, too. Enjoying the lights one more evening.

Usually, we have things down around Epiphany, but we've been in no hurry this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter