When do people drop ADRs?

hou2009

hou2009
I have a few ADRs that I'd like to modify for better times, and I have a few ADRs that I'd like to drop. I'd maybe like to try for some new ones also. When do you typically see people start to finalize their plans and drop ADRs they're not doing to use? 24 hours before the reservation time, or further out? Thanks!

Most of the prior threads on this topic talk about the deadline for cancelling any unwanted ADR's is midnight the day before the reservation. That is part of the reason you might see additional availability as those dates get closer at someplace that was previously sold out. Clearly you can cancel them long before that once you decide you don't care to eat there. Apparently, you can also 'game' the cutoff cancellation by moving it ahead to a future date.

Here’s a link to the cancelled ADR threads that may be helpful for you and others. They are pinned in yellow at the top. Some people list ADRs they plan on cancelling so folks on here who might want those ADRs can try to book them. You can join in! I think the lead time that people cancel their ADRs really vary. I started canx a bunch of mine and I’m about one month out. Right now there are threads created for December, January, and February. Of course a lot becomes available very short term as well since Disney has the 24 hour deadline to canx ADRs.
https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-dining-reservations.180/

People cancel and modify reservations all the time. If you want better times or different ones you can try to do that at any time up until day before. You won’t always find what you need last minute so it’s good to check ahead of time.

I've typically found the most luck right around 48 hours out. That also is right around the time that I drop reservations that I do not think I will be using as well. It is always good to check frequently, though, as that is not a hard rule by any means.

I'd check around 5 to 6 days before you need the ADR. That's because if you have a room only reservation, you need to cancel five days prior to arrival in order to receive a refund of your deposit.

I believe with a package ,the balance is due 30 days prior to check-in so that's another good time to check for ADR's.

I used touring plans reservation finder and this week (we're here now) it found me Via Napoli and Homecomin which I grabbed. It's also found several 'ohana adr's but most were at like 950 pm and no way we're eating that late. I just missed one alert today for 415 tomorrow which we would have done. For Homecomin, we had a 530 adr but were there at 415 today and they took us right in. They were also doing walkins at that time because they weren't busy, but they were when we left.

I used touring plans reservation finder and this week (we're here now) it found me Via Napoli and Homecomin which I grabbed. It's also found several 'ohana adr's but most were at like 950 pm and no way we're eating that late. I just missed one alert today for 415 tomorrow which we would have done. For Homecomin, we had a 530 adr but were there at 415 today and they took us right in. They were also doing walkins at that time because they weren't busy, but they were when we left.
Here to second this. I scored a Christmas morning Topolinos and Christmas Eve Ogas thanks to TP. I restarted those alerts a couple times as I’d like better times as well. Just missed adjusting the breakfast to an hour later.

if you’re in the parks, it’s worth it to refresh to try to find something or get on the walk up wait list, but while waiting for the trip can be time consuming constantly looking, so it’s nice to have that alert come through, you just have to hit the Disney app immediately cause they don’t last long

I ended up getting a 330 pm 'Ohana ADR for today (got it yesterday and had to call to cancel another ADR as it was the evening before. So, the reservation finder ended up finding the three I wanted.

People constantly drop and modify ADRs.
If I'm looking, I will check periodically. In general, the majority of cancelled ADRs occur within 24-48 hours of the ADR.
At least that has been our experience.

I also found some gems between 7 pm and midnight some nights the day before we were looking to pick up something or change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter