• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do crowds drop off in August?

Every year we go for 3rd and 4th week in Aug. It's cheaper and less crowded but hot and humid. Unfortunately we can't do August this year and were going July

The later in August you can go the better. Crowds will pick up again just before Labor Day weekend.
Most schools in the country are back in session by mid August. In my area, we don't return to school until September and have found late August to be the least crowded time of the summer at WDW. We've gone at all different times. Happy Planning!

Last 2 weeks of august with more emphasis on the last week. We went 2 years in a row. That being said it’s hot, humid and you’re toying with hurricane season. Other than that crowds are fairly manageable.

Last 2 weeks of august with more emphasis on the last week. We went 2 years in a row. That being said it’s hot, humid and you’re toying with hurricane season. Other than that crowds are fairly manageable.
Yes we usually go in summer so I know it’s super hot and humid. I keep thinking the end of August will be when hurricanes ramp up🙄

You said exactly what I was going to say... last year i pushed the trip into October for this reason :)

The last couple weeks of August. I'm so bummed because my son's school used to go back in early September but starting in August they will return mid-August. Late August is a great time to vacation if you can handle the heat/humidity!

I've had 10+ 14 day trips in various weeks in August and September. As the kids got older, we kept having to move the trip earlier. Late August is better than early August. Each week is less crowded that the previous until you get to Labor Day. Lots of people claim that Labor Day doesn't effect crowd levels and I have never agreed with this. Crowds are higher on Labor Day weekend than before and after. Of course, not like Christmas week, but it is definitely more crowded than the Thursday before & the Tuesday after. It is more crowded than the weekend before and the weekend after. I think it has been so long since my last September trip that I can no longer fairly compare the end of August with mid-September.

As for hurricanes...it's always a risk during August and September. For what its worth, we've only had one hurricane interrupt our trip. We left two days early, as we were driving. Disney refunded the hotel cost, but not the tickets or dining plan. I thought it was fair.

I've had 10+ 14 day trips in various weeks in August and September. As the kids got older, we kept having to move the trip earlier. Late August is better than early August. Each week is less crowded that the previous until you get to Labor Day. Lots of people claim that Labor Day doesn't effect crowd levels and I have never agreed with this. Crowds are higher on Labor Day weekend than before and after. Of course, not like Christmas week, but it is definitely more crowded than the Thursday before & the Tuesday after. It is more crowded than the weekend before and the weekend after. I think it has been so long since my last September trip that I can no longer fairly compare the end of August with mid-September.

As for hurricanes...it's always a risk during August and September. For what its worth, we've only had one hurricane interrupt our trip. We left two days early, as we were driving. Disney refunded the hotel cost, but not the tickets or dining plan. I thought it was fair.
Thank you this helped, if I can find availability I’m going to do next to the last week of August.

i def recommend going last week of august! my family and i have been going last week of august-early sept for the past few years and LOVE it. labor day doesn't seem that awful if you avoid MK- if you want to play it safe, maybe go to DS or have a resort day for labor day. it is also worth noting the weekends draw in more crowds.

the only downside is the heat, definitely plan on not staying at the parks for the full day and bring tons of water!

We get there August 14. Most schools are back in session by then. It's still hot obviously but not as crowded as July. That said, we got there August 17, 2019 and it was a little more crowded than we expected. However, that was due to passholder previews for Galaxy's Edge. The crowds were mainly at Hollywood Studios and the overall crowd level still wasn't bad.

From what I have seen, it has been getting busier and busier each year. Any holiday weekend the past few years has been crazy (of course excluding "Pandemic Times")

End of August used to be are go to (especially when we played with our AP, August one summer, July the next.

As others have said, the later in August, the more kids are back in school. For those that are not in school, may are reluctant to travel right before school starts.

we are booked for the end of august- we have been in august in the past with crowds manageable. The last time we went in November the crowds were awful. We know what to expect with heat and humidity and keeping fingers crossed no hurricane issues..

we are booked for the end of august- we have been in august in the past with crowds manageable. The last time we went in November the crowds were awful. We know what to expect with heat and humidity and keeping fingers crossed no hurricane issues..
Yes hopefully no hurricanes!

I'm going this August. I think it will be packed. Limited availability for my week. I'm a bit nervous. We've been in August before and the last few years (pre covid) I think August has been getting busier.

I'm going this August. I think it will be packed. Limited availability for my week. I'm a bit nervous. We've been in August before and the last few years (pre covid) I think August has been getting busier.
What are your dates?

We pretty much always go that last week in August - the crowds are always fairly light and manageable that week (of course what this year will bring is anyone's guess). It's definitely a week I recommend to anyone who is able to go that late in the summer.

I have only been in August once - the first week - and I didn't find it too bad. This year we will be there for the first two weeks of August, and while I'm nervous about the crowds, I don't expect them to be any worse than other times we've visited in the summer. That said, I do think there is a lot of demand for summer travel this year, and I would expect it be crowded whenever you travel in August. I'm from the northeast and most schools around here either go back the last week of August or right after Labor Day and I know traveling to Disney right before the return to school is very popular amongst people from my area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter