When did you know it was time to sell?

We have two contracts: AKV and HHI. Over the past few years, we have discovered we LOVE HHI much more than WDW. We have decided to go one last time to WDW next month kind of as a goodbye trip. I need closure! We have owned since 2008. We have taken our DSs on many trips, but DH and I discovered as they got older that we loved going to WDW just the two of us. We dreamed of longer, more relaxing trips together after we both retired. We were even contemplating an add-on contract at BRV. We have both been retired for two years now, but WDW is no longer the WDW we both loved. We have thought about selling our AKV points, but we decided we will use them for an extra trip to HHI each spring. We will see how this goes for a few years and then decide. As of right now, neither of our DSs want to go. I told them the other day if they ever have kids and want to take them to WDW, then let me know and we'll provide them a room, but they will be responsible for planning the trip! We will just be along for the ride. And this is coming from someone who also had dreams of being a Disney travel agent upon retirement. No way, no how would I want to do that now!!!

By the way, my DH and I took a trip out west in April and LOVED it. We hit many national parks along the way. In addition to the two HHI trips each year, we will also go somewhere new instead of WDW. Next year is New England (new for me, not for him.)
We have never been to HH but I would like to go. My DD wants to go too. How hard is it to get a room 7 months out?

We have never been to HH but I would like to go. My DD wants to go too. How hard is it to get a room 7 months out?
Quite difficult during warm weather. Check availability there every so often. Seven months from now is March. Quite open right now, except for studios, there are only 21. March can be cool, rainy there.

We went for the first time in 2009 and fell in love. We came home and added on and then added on again the next year. We use our HHI points to go there every summer with our family or every fall just the two of us. We are just now getting ready to start using our AKV points at 7 months out for the spring. We are hopeful it works since it's not high season.

OP, I know this may seem off-topic, but maybe look at some of the other destinations for just the two of you. This will give you a break from WDW and then when grandkids are here you will have an easy (and cheap) way to afford accommodations for everyone. With Disney's prices skyrocketing, I can't imagine what it will be like 3-5 years down the road. We have decided to keep our AKV points in order to afford it for our family. Until then, we will enjoy extra trips to our favorite place!

Last edited:
With Disney's prices skyrocketing, I can't imagine what it will be like 3-5 years down the road.
This is what keeps us from selling right now. We will definitely take a break next year and maybe beyond that. But our first grandchild just turned one and there will likely be more in the near future. We will be hanging on to our contracts for now and will rent out the points while we assess our feelings about Disney. In the meantime, we have 5 nights in a Cascade Cabin booked for November and we are looking forward to enjoying it.

When we first bought in 1999, our vacations were all about our kids. Many years (& more Contracts) later, our DVC stays are entirely different. DH & i go every Oct/Nov & meet up with friends, go to dinner, stroll around Epcot, play mini-golf, hang out on the BW, & enjoy all WDW has to offer other than ride after ride after ride after ride. Adult DD & I go every May for a girls trip, & we gift our son & DIL trips (we hang out with them there some days/nights). I think what has made a huge difference for us is that we (2 people) stay in 1-bdrms for about 2 weeks - we do what we want, when we want....no alarms, stock the fridge with goodies, drink wine/beer, go for strolls, invite those friends/family over, & only hit the parks occasionally (& only for an hour or two).
WDW is actually our relaxing vacation :)
Btw, we rent out some points, & go somewhere internationally with the money - only on those vacations, we are tourists.

We're done.
Our last contract was listed today. To many problems at the Resorts that we've have to overlooked in order to have a nice time.
Points not show up in my account correctly.
Rooms not clean. That causes very late check-in.
After 20+ years We're done. I know people will go and jump though as many hoops as Disney tells them to, but we're done.
I loved all my trips, but for us it's just not working.
Maybe less is more, who knows.

I’ve sold 2 of my 3 contract, keeping a 30 point contract that I bought direct. For now, I’ll keep it, if only for member perks. In 4 years, I’ll offer it to my son. If he doesn’t want it, I’ll sell because my wife and I will be retiring overseas. All of the hoops that you have to jump through and the skyrocketing costs at Disney were my main reasons for selling. Last month, myself and my son bought premier passes at Universal, so we could have Express Pass after 4 any day that we wanted.

Never. We have owned over 20 years, went every year 13 years prior to that and can't imagine not going. We love going without kids, ours is grown too and still loves to go. We will keep going as long as we are physically able. We also love Hilton Head, and we take other trips in addition to Disney, especially mountain and beach trips.
I would rent my points or gift friends and extended family before we would sell.

Last edited:
I think it depends somewhat on the pints themselves.
If you own direct purchase points you may want to keep for the Disney benefits (especially if it is a small contract).
If the points are from resale contract then it may be time to sell, you could always buy again when the grand kids come along.

As bobbiwoz says, it's very tough unless you go offseason which is generally after Labor Day and before spring break begins. That being said, HHI is now a year-round destination, so most restaurants and other venues are open throughout the year. After Labor Day, there is a slight slow down until mid-November when things ramp up again through New Year's. For the next 2 - 2 1/2 months, you'll generally find it to be slower paced and you can likely find some openings, though again as mentioned, there are only 21 1BRs and 21 studios, so it would most likely be easier to book a 2BR.

Back to the OP's comments, whether to sell or not is extremely personal based on a number of factors. While many still don't mind the extra effort it now requires to actually do parks (not to mention expense), many of us tired of it even before the pandemic, and now after its zenith, the prices, planning, and need to focus on your phone/app makes the whole experience diluted. Yes, you can still just fly by the seat of your pants (last few trips have been that way), but then you have to lower your expectations--and still pay a premium. Is the math worth it? Again, that's a personal call.

I will say that I would never hold onto my points just for Disney benefits which are minimal, at best: slight discounts on merchandise and food, a handful of events geared toward DVC members (but you still have to pay), or the infrequent member meets where you don't really get much. Meanwhile, say you own 300 points and are currently paying nearly $7 per point in dues--$2K sure offsets the "benefits and perks." For me. Still, for the moment, I'll hang onto the points, rent them out as need be if someone in my family doesn't use them, and see where I stand this time next year or 2024. What's for certain is that I'll never visit Disney as I once did, nor nearly so frequently. It's time for the next generation to carry the burden.

It was finally time to sell when the new VGF resort points chart came out. A quick, cheap, hotel conversion now put pressure on my original VGF points was the tipping point. It was already hard to book studios, but with the rising dissatisfaction with the new resort studios, I foresee even more competition in booking at the original VGF villas. In addition to the removal of Magical Express, AP’s, Tables in Wonderland, fast passes, tours, increase in ticket prices, food, paid park rides, etc well it was time to sell. Currently in ROFR.

It was finally time to sell when the new VGF resort points chart came out. A quick, cheap, hotel conversion now put pressure on my original VGF points was the tipping point. It was already hard to book studios, but with the rising dissatisfaction with the new resort studios, I foresee even more competition in booking at the original VGF villas. In addition to the removal of Magical Express, AP’s, Tables in Wonderland, fast passes, tours, increase in ticket prices, food, paid park rides, etc well it was time to sell. Currently in ROFR.
It seems that people like the resort studios after they stayed in them. They added Microwaves and the location is good. We don’t stay in studios but I can see how they are better than the regular studios, having two queen beds and the sofa.

We are selling.

My wife and I are huge Disney fans - it's our hobby really. We went there on our honeymoon 29 years ago and have been every year since (many years more than once). We've taken our 2 boys (now 13 and 16) all their lives. Disneyland, yes. Disneyland Paris, yes. Been fortunate enough to cruise many times. We are Disney-buyers and we are selling.

From June 1 to November 1 it is impossibly hot in Florida. If you want to waste your life arguing with me go ahead. I've lived my whole life on I-10; I know what I'm about. It's far hotter now than it ever was when I was a child. We won't go during that time anymore.

The never-ending crowds that you cannot plan to beat. The cost for such bad food. The constantly shrinking service (no daily cleaning in hotels and difficulty getting cleaning on the reduced schedule at DVC) and constantly increasing price. There gets to be a day you say "let's do something else."

We have 3 contracts. We have sold one and have another up for sale. We may keep one contract for a few years.

I don't believe Disney will miss us and I'm certain they don't care about us. It's not about teaching them a lesson or canceling Disney. They just don't make a product that I value anymore, at least not like I used to.

Last edited:
We are selling.

My wife and I are huge Disney fans - it's our hobby really. We went there on our honeymoon 29 years ago and have been every year since (many years more than once). We've taken our 2 boys (now 13 and 16) all their lives. Disneyland, yes. Disneyland Paris, yes. Been fortunate enough to cruise many times. We are Disney-buyers and we are selling.

From June 1 to November 1 it is impossibly hot in Florida. If you want to waste your life arguing with me go ahead. I've lived my whole life on I-10; I know what I'm about. It's far hotten now than it ever was when I was a child. We won't go during that time anymore.

The never-ending crowds that you cannot plan to beat. The cost for such bad food. The constantly shrinking service (no daily cleaning in hotels and difficulty getting cleaning on the reduced schedule at DVC) and constantly increasing price. There gets to be a day you say "let's do something else."

We have 3 contracts. We have sold one and have another up for sale. We may keep one contract for a few years.

I don't believe Disney will miss us and I'm certain they don't care about us. It's not about teaching them a lesson or canceling Disney. They just don't make a product that I value anymore, at least not like I used to.
What 3 contracts do you have and which one are you keeping?

Same. Our boys are 26 and 22. We did own 820 points split between 4 contracts. We have sold all but our BWV points. It is hard to plan family vacations with young adult children. And mine no longer want to spend a week at the parks. MAYBE a long weekend.

DH and I used to enjoy a week at the parks kid free. We don’t enjoy it anymore. Too crowded. Too much planning. Too expensive for what you get. We had much rather cruise or just go to the beach. We are holding onto the BWV points for now, but I bet we sell them in the next couple of years. We can always buy back in if we change our minds in the future.

It seems that people like the resort studios after they stayed in them. They added Microwaves and the location is good. We don’t stay in studios but I can see how they are better than the regular studios, having two queen beds and the sofa.
Reports I am reading are rooms with no balconies and room views that did not meet the booking criteria. Already reading posters saying they are one and done.

I stayed and realized even with micro I prefer the deluxe ones. Murphy bed is pretty much same as thr second bed and having a couch that doesn’t even face the TV is y great for anyone who spends time there vi do think we will see increased demand on the studios in the original building.

Reports I am reading are rooms with no balconies and room views that did not meet the booking criteria. Already reading posters saying they are one and done.
Well that is annoying. They are very high point rooms too. I can see them being more desirable for families.
I stayed and realized even with micro I prefer the deluxe ones. Murphy bed is pretty much same as thr second bed and having a couch that doesn’t even face the TV is y great for anyone who spends time there vi do think we will see increased demand on the studios in the original building.
I’ve wanted to own Grand Floridian since it was released the first time. We couldn’t get ourselves to pay the premium in price or points. When they said the new rooms would all be hotel rooms, my dream died. We stay in 1-bedrooms most of the time (just the two of us) and I know all those hotel room points would make getting a 1 bedroom hard. We were able to book a 1 bedroom end of February 2023 for 5 nights at exactly 7 months out. I was able to use my resale BLT points. So we can still stay there without owning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter