When did you get your first VCR?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
The color TV thread got me thinking about my first VCR. It was in 1981 and we paid over a thousand dollars for it. It had a remote control-well, for of a remote control-it was attached to the main machine by a long cord. Our next one had a completely separate remote, and cost maybe a third of what the first one did. So do you remember when you got your first VCR and how much it cost?

For my birthday, 1980. It was about the size of a microwave and had a wired remote. Price was close to $1,000 and the blank tapes were only sold at two places in town and were $20 each. Early adoption comes with a big price tag.

The color TV thread got me thinking about my first VCR. It was in 1981 and we paid over a thousand dollars for it. It had a remote control-well, for of a remote control-it was attached to the main machine by a long cord. Our next one had a completely separate remote, and cost maybe a third of what the first one did. So do you remember when you got your first VCR and how much it cost?
1984. I don’t remember what is cost though. I actually still have it, stored in the basement somewhere. It also had the wired remote, and I have to admit, the wired remote responded more quickly than our later wireless remotes (a key item when pausing to avoid recording commercials).

8th December 1980.

We brought it home and set it to record a film that evening whilst we were out.

When we returned home all of the schedules had been cancelled because John Lennon had been killed!

ford family

September 1979 when I got my first job at a TV station.
Bought a VHS RCA for $725 on close out at Gemco. It was a 2 hour/4 hour recording length machine and they had just introduced the 2 hours 4 hour 6 hour models. It was still working 10 years ago when my mom passed away and I sold it at the estate sale, I had given it to my mom to use to watch tapes I recorded for her off cable as she did not have cable.

People who worked in TV rarely used anything other than the 2 hour recording speed because the 4 and 6 hour settings had lower video quality. Used to drive us all nuts when we borrowed a tape a non-TV person had recorded because all they were interested in was getting 6 hours of TV on one tape.

Bought a new VHS Player/Recorder DVD burner combo in 2015 and over the last two years transferred all our VHS and VHS-C home movies to DVD and then to a hard drive. But we still have a number of movies on VHS so it comes in handy.

I don't think I had my own until I got married.
But, I rented them from Blockbuster pretty much every weekend
starting around 1987.

I remmeber the night we went out to get one at an old-school style electronics store it was probabyl like 1983 or so. It was a Mitsubishi that sat upright with a handle. There was a camera that hooked up via a cord to recod to tapes and a battery that could be used in place of the AC, so you could take the camera portable (with a bag or strap for the VCR). We also went to rent a movie and let us kids pick - it was The Last Unicorn. My sister and I used to play with that camera all the time doing little shows and news broadcasts, etc. We had a blast with it!

I actually still have the unit somewhere and last I knew it worked.

Might have been 1990 when I got my first machine with money from a summer job in college. It was a floor model S-VHS machine and I think I paid $400 for it. Eventually it failed. I checked it inside and saw it had a glass fuse that blew. Thought it was worth a try and I could find replacement fuses at Radio Shack. As soon as I plugged it in the fuse blew so it was toast by then.

Sometime in the early 80s I guess. We first rented them from those newfangled video stores and then my Grandfather (who helped invent magnetic tape) sent us one. I remember that we used to buy blank tapes in bulk at Price Club and Costco.

Maybe not in our home, but we had family who had VCRs maybe 1982 or so. One had an early Quasar VCR that came in two parts - a top-loading tape unit and a playback/tuner unit. The tape unit (which had a sling carrying case) could be battery powered and could connect to a camera.

Another one I remember in my extended family was a 1984 or so RCA VCR. It was also designed for a camera, although this one the top-loading tape unit docked in a base. I don't recall it being used with a camera, although it could play back home video.

Of course eventually camcorders because more common than separate cameras with tape units.

The first one I owned was probably in 1986. I can’t recall if my parents had purchased one earlier, but I don’t remember ever using one back then.

1985. Bought it at an appliance chain in Shreveport, LA called Shreveport Refrigeration. The place could have been the model for the store depicted in Dire Straits' video Money for Nothing.

Maybe 1978 or 79? It was a Betamax. Seeing some mention the cost I’m wondering how/where my dad got one because no way did we have that kind of money. Maybe it was rented or he “knew a guy.” I remember signing up to rent movies and Dad having to present all kinds of ID and leave a hefty deposit. Losing or damaging a tape was something crazy, like $200. My personal first was 1989ish? Given to me by a dear friend. I held onto that thing for more than a decade before we upgraded to a fancier model that auto skipped commercials and didn’t have to be on the channel you were recording.

We never owned one. Of course we didn't have television either so there really wasn't a need.

Summer of 1982. I think it was about $600. My father told me I was crazy.

The first show I recorded to test it was a rerun of The Addams Family. Cousin Itt had a major role in that episode.

We got ours for the 1984 LA Olympics.

I might still have some unwatched tapes from those Olympics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter