When did they start backing the ship in at CC?

Tonyspad

Disney or Bust for us!
I requested a starboard stateroom this cruise because we want a view a CC from our veranda, the two prior cruises we had port side rooms and had a view of the dock at CC. This would mean I need a port room to view the island if I am understanding the new back-in policy correctly.

No. Starboard rooms would overlook the island when the ship is backed in. Port rooms look over the dock.

The ship does not always back in. Depending on things such as the tide, currents, wind speed and direction, and the captain's mood that morning, the ship may pull straight in. In 7 cruises, we've backed in 5 times, pulled straight in twice.

Anecdotal evidence on the DIS says that the ship is more likely to back in, which would give the starboard side of the ship a view of the beaches, but there are no guarantees. I personally like the port side, so I can watch the ship back in and tie up to the pier. I'm usually on the island all day once they clear the ship, so I don't miss having the view.

We had port side and I loved sitting on my verandah late watching all the people coming back on. And, it was fun to watch them untie and pull out.

We were fortunate enough to be on a cruise that stopped at CC twice. We went in straight the first time and backed in the second time. So don't count on one specific way.

On our 1st cruise we had a tour of the bridge by the 1st officer and Lloyd Dobler is correct , it does depend on such things as tides, currents, wind and the captains mood as to whether the ship backs in or comes straight in. He did say , however , that all things being equal they generally prefer to back in so that the ship can make a quick exit (pull straight out) if the need arrises.

My information came from one of the first officers, as well.

This is also the case with St. Thomas, except that the captain can only request to back in. The decision is with the harbor pilot. In addition, the Coast Guard will sometimes ask that they drop their port lifeboats for a drill, which would necessitate the ship pulling straight in to St. Thomas.

We've always backed in to St. Thomas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter