When did OKW get rid of the boats?

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
OKW used to let you sail on a boat.... When did they get rid of letting you rent a boat and sail away?

So sad to see the magic going away....

Port Orleans Riverside, Old Key West Resort, Saratoga Springs Resort and Caribbean Beach all ended there boat rentals at the same time back in early 2014.

What was the rationale? Didn't owners fund this?
If it was a rental, i.e. you had to pay money, it would not be paid by member dues. It would be like a store or restaurant, a separate entity from the resort.

I have no idea why they stopped, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had to do with liability. And guests doing stupid things.

I have no idea why they stopped, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it had to do with liability. And guests doing stupid things.
Yeah, as an oldie, I used to swim in that water at River Country and I also parasailed and ski'd in it thru Sami Duvall. However, once it became clear that the water was not safe to swim in, it makes perfect sense that they shouldn't let people use the small boats etc. The liability is just too high. And that doesn't even take into account the gators.

I'm surprised the small rentals in that area lasted as late as 2014. Wish they still had them. The treehouses are our Disney home and I always look out at the river and wish I could do a personal cruise. Was just there this week and couldn't even ride the shuttles--water levels were too low.

I loved renting a pontoon boat from there and riding around. It was a great way to spend a few hours.

Disney didn't own the boats. They contracted with a boat rental company which decided they weren't worth the effort.

Fairly certain, that rental company eventually was sold or went out of business too.

They replaced them with another rental company post-pandemic, but they don't do certain sea craft and due to labor costs consolidated what's available for rent and at what locations.

For example, you can't rent at Poly anymore either. You must go to Grand Floridian (and maybe Contemporary?).

Last edited:
This would explain it.

Bummed though unfortunately not surprised when the rentals disappeared from the Sassagoula River area, bummed and very surprised they had disappeared from Ft Wilderness when we stayed a few nights over there last year, as they fit so well there and always seemed to be popular (not to mention that if you're going to let a bunch of tourists loose in motor boats, Bay Lake would seem to be the best place for it). Looks like the only marina with rentals left on Bay Lake is Contemporary, and beyond that there's only Grand Floridian or Beach Club/Yacht Club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter