• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whellchair rental prices

Minnie's Guy

Mouseketeer
Could someone please tell me what the cost is of renting a wheelchair at the parks ? We are bringing my 83 year old mother and it is the only way she will be able to get around. Also, is it better to try to get one from your resort (we're staying at AKL) and what is the price for rental there ? We just need to know how much to budget for wheelchair rentals. Also price of ECV'S ? Thanks for your help.

Your resort should loan you one for your entire stay for free, if they have them available. (Standard wheelchair)

At the parks, they are $7.00 per day.

ECVs are not available at the resorts through Disney. They are $30.00 per day at the parks. They are all rented out early in the day every day.

ECVs are available through several outside vendors that will deliver to your resort and pick up when you leave. They generally also run $30 per day, but you have them your entire visit.

I'm sure other folks will be able to give you the names of the outside companies.

Here are links to the different off-site rental companies. All of them will pick up and deliver to your hotel. Most of the WDW buses are equipped to transport wheelchairs or ecvs to the parks. If you rent a wheelchair or ecv from the parks, remember that the rental area is close to the front of the park, but the walk may be more than your mother can comfortably do.
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

Unless you are used to wheelchair use and pushing, you are probably better off with an off-site ECV rental. If you are flying and using a rental car, be sure to bring your mother's hang-tag. Even if you don't have a car available, you can use the Disney Transportation with the ECV with (usually) no hassle.

We tried to contact AKL about reserving a chair before leaving, but Disney wouldn't cooperate & put me through directly & I didn't bother to investigate to get a direct number. The official statement is that you can't reserve them - first come, first served. However, upon arrival, the chair I ordered from CARE couldn't be located & GS told me that I should just have called them since theirs is free. I don't know if you can do this, or they were just too new to know you can't - but it's worth a try.

It is much more convenient to have the chair available from the resort. By the time you walk from the room to the bus & then from the bus to the gate & then to w/c rental . . . It can be too much! We tried that last time & by the end of the 2nd day the CMs took pity on me & walked DH out to the WL boat launch, took the chair back for him & told him to see GS about getting one at the resort! What a relief!

AKL also had a larger chair which surprised me. I believe the parks do also if you know to ask. Last Aug when I first hurt my knee & really needed one, no one volunteered this info.

The prices I got from the outside companies were about $75 - 90 for 10 days for the larger chair. (~15 more than standard sized) They all tried to talk me into the ECV, but that would have been more like $400 for the 10 days. DH doesn't mind pushing, so I didn't want to spend the extra.

Also, if flying, be sure to ask at either end for assistance. We flew from Philly & DS kidded about walking back to Philly when going from the plane to get our luggage in Orlando!

Be sure to check the FAQ for tips on travelling with elderly, wheelchair tips, pacing, the GAC, etc. Just click on the link in my signature below!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter