Wheelchairs in Animal Kingdom

Leslie

Mouseketeer
I read somewhere that the paths in AK are extremely bumpy and narrow. I will be pushing my mother in a standard wheelchair and am wondering if it is hard to manuever a wheelchair in AK? Is it really that bumpy and possibly uncomfortable for some wheelchair visitors?

Thanks!

We've been there a lot of times, pushing DD's wheelchair. Many (not all) of the paths are narrow compared to the other WDW parks. Many are themed so that the concrete simulates things like mud paths.
Most of the parks have at least some areas where the concrete simulates other things (like cobblestones in parts of Epcot's WS and in MK).
The pathes at AK are smoother than most city sidewalk systems (where you might run into cracked blocks or blocks that are raised compared to the next block).
The standard rental wheelchairs have a sling seat and back. What a lot of people do to make the ride more comfortable is bring a pillow or a chair seat cushion. Makes the seat much more comfortable to sit in.

for those not accustomed to a WC, it is a bit bumpier than a perfectly smooth road. i have "sensation issues" due to my MS, and i remember it bothered me a bit, definitely not enough to ruin my trip to wdw. it was better the following year in an ecv - maybe the seat was more cushiony than the sling seat of a push wc, or maybe because i was the driver.

i don't remember DH saying that the bumps made it more difficult for him to push me, but the hills, well, that was another story. still, he made it through the day and had fun.

-dj

I know for myself its a lot bumpier at AK. I really love AK and animals so its a lot of fun, but irritating with all the bumping. I get motion sickness and at times i will feel nautious, and its noticable in the AK on the scooter, and was noticable with the push chair as well.

I have some problems with my back and neck, so the bumpiness irritates that, and some of the motion sickness too. I notice my neck and back are sore after a day at the ak. Part of the reason is because i love the safari ride. It irritates my back/neck, now we only ride it once. Oww i love the safari ride!! I'm good i don't do any rollar coasters, but can't say no to the safari ride.

I just wish they had regular flat boring concrete, but then it wouldn't be disney.
Connie

I was there in June with my mom who weighs 160 pounds. The entrance alone was exhausting......I am out of shape and overweight myself. However, I am use to pushing her all over the malls back home.

The paths were very narrow and some were very steep....take breaks and cool down . AK was one of the most difficult parks to push a wheelchair in .

However, it was worth every push and pull I did . She sooo enjoyed the shows !!!!! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter