• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

wheelchair

goofyfordisney16

Mouseketeer
hello, earlier this month i hurt my lower back pretty badly. the pain is starting to seep into my leg, and we're not sure how long it's going to last. i'm going to disney world aug. 12th-19th. does anyone recommend i get a wheelchair if the pain doesn't subside? what do i need in order to get a wheelchair and what are the benefits?

You don't need anything to rent a wheelchair. There is information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread in post #2 for how to rent in the parks or one of the offsite companies.
You may also want to look into renting an ECV (electric mobility vehicle ). They are more expensive but will give you more freedom.

If you think your insurance may pay to rent one, you need to check the wording in the policy and would also need a doctor's order to submit it to insurance.

The benefit would be that you would have a place to sit wherever you are. Although many people assume guests with wheelchairs get special treatment, that is not the case. Most of the lines are accessible and you will usually be waiting in the same ones with everyone else. There are sometimes different boarding areas because the 'regular' one is not accessible, but that usually does not mean a shorter wait and can sometimes mean a longer wait , especially if you need a specisl car or if other guests with specisl needs are already waiting.

I also suggest that you rent an ECV, which will give you a lot more independence. You will not be able to push yourself in a rental manual wheelchair (they are very heavy). The FAQs at the top of the page will give you info for rental companies.

As for "benefits" - there are none. The wheelchair/ECV will allow you to tour the parks pain-free. You will not skip any lines, but you will be directed to accessible lines whenever the main line has stairs in it or is otherwise inaccessible. There are times your wait will be longer than the standby time (last time I went on Jungle Cruise, i waited for 45 mins when the standby was 10 mins), and times your wait may be shorter than the standby time. In general, it all averages out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter