Wheelchair rental?

LuckyMamaInDE

DIS Veteran
I'll be traveling to WDW in early September with 2 adult kids. One has several conditions that can flare unexpectedly, so they have requested that I rent a wheelchair in case they might need one out of the blue. I offered a scooter but they are not comfortable driving a scooter when flaring. The thought is that we will park the wheelchair in a central location and move it as needed until/if dx might need it. Because of their needs, we're planning just a few hours in parks in the morning and then a few more in the evening if they are up to it.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for rentals. Preferred companies? What should I look for in general in a wheelchair? I have no problem meeting someone at the resort (BLT) for the handoff. I'm renting a midsize SUV and am fit and strong to lift it in and out of the car.

Thanks--I appreciate any responses. I also appreciate everyone who posts on this board because it's helped both of us in our planning around their needs for this trip!

Most if not all of the popular ECV (scooter) vendors also rent wheelchairs. I know you said your child is an adult, but if they are smaller-sized or larger-sized person you may want to look for a vendor who rents different sized chairs. I believe the standard is an 18" or 20" seat with a weight limit of around 250 lbs. So be sure to ask size and/or limit if that may be a concern.

Oops... I forgot to mention that ScooterBug is the only company allowed to deliver directly through Bell Services at WDW resorts. All other companies will arrange to meet you in person at the resort.

You'll probably have it handy anyway, but I recommend keeping the rental company's contact information where you can easily get to it. If at any point you find that the manual wheelchair isn't working for your family after all and you want to try an ECV, most companies are really good about getting new equipment to you quickly.

I started out one trip in a manual wheelchair, and we found out that there were more hills, steep ramps, and uneven pavement than we had ever noticed. Self-propelling was very difficult, and the whole group was having trouble pushing. The company had an ECV waiting at our resort that evening. (This was back when there were several companies who could leave equipment with Bell Services.)

Another time, one member of our group's ECV stopped in Adventureland, despite a nearly fully charged battery. A rep from the rental company met us right there with a new one. (They'd have gotten to us sooner if they hadn't had to wait for the afternoon parade to finish.)

In June 2022 I rented a wheelchair from Scooterbug for our stay at POFQ. It was waiting for me at Bell Services when we arrived. The night before we left, I dropped it back off at Bell Services. Very convenient.

For those who used Scooterbug, how far in advance should you put in a reservation for a wheelchair. We are headed 12/30 through 1/8. One person in our party needs a wheelchair and having it there at the resort when we arrive sounds awesome.

For those who used Scooterbug, how far in advance should you put in a reservation for a wheelchair. We are headed 12/30 through 1/8. One person in our party needs a wheelchair and having it there at the resort when we arrive sounds awesome.

I would call now. Remember that Christmas Week through New Years Eve is just super busy every.single.year, so I would call now to reserve it, since you will need it during that busy time period.

Just to throw out there, would a rollator help, or does the flare mean needs total help with getting around?

you may know all about these, but I’m just mentioning it because before we started our journey, I had no idea what tools are out there to make life easier.

I would call now. Remember that Christmas Week through New Years Eve is just super busy every.single.year, so I would call now to reserve it, since you will need it during that busy time period.
I ended up just going ahead and booking the wheelchair on Scooter Bug's website and paid already to reserve it. $70 for a 12/30 drop off at All Star Movies and 1/8 pick up at Caribbean Beach Resort.

Just to throw out there, would a rollator help, or does the flare mean needs total help with getting around?

you may know all about these, but I’m just mentioning it because before we started our journey, I had no idea what tools are out there to make life easier.
Unfortunately a flare means they can't get around on their own, at least at WDW or even shopping at home. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

Update from the OP---we went with a wheelchair rental from Scooterbug, $60 for 6 days plus the ease of having it delivered and picked up from Bell Services at two different resorts. Thanks to all who took the time to respond!
Please come back and post your experience after your trip. It sounds like your trip is laid out similar to ours, with the split stay. So definitely would love to hear how it went.

Please come back and post your experience after your trip. It sounds like your trip is laid out similar to ours, with the split stay. So definitely would love to hear how it went.
I will! This is the first trip with a mobility device (only there should they need it) and with using DAS. My 23yo was a bit nervous about requesting the DAS but the whole process was smooth and actually pretty quick (one hour total including waiting time, started at 7:30pm eastern)

What do you use at home? If you have a collapsible, manual wheelchair, it should fit in a rental SUV. The airlines gatecheck it. Airports are no joke, and you might need it there anyway.

I would suggest Gold Mobility, they rent manual wheelchairs too, but if you end up finding that a scooter would be a better fit mid trip, they will work with you to trade out, you would likely have to pay a cost difference of course, but the flexibility could be useful. I'm sure other companies would try to accommodate, but may not have the inventory to do so.

But do consider bringing your own from home instead.

What do you use at home? If you have a collapsible, manual wheelchair, it should fit in a rental SUV. The airlines gatecheck it. Airports are no joke, and you might need it there anyway.
They don't currently use a wheelchair at home, only a cane when experiencing a flare. We figured with the very long distance at WDW a wheelchair on hand, just in case, would be a good idea.

I would suggest Gold Mobility, they rent manual wheelchairs too, but if you end up finding that a scooter would be a better fit mid trip, they will work with you to trade out, you would likely have to pay a cost difference of course, but the flexibility could be useful. I'm sure other companies would try to accommodate, but may not have the inventory to do so.

But do consider bringing your own from home instead.
Good to know, thank you! An ECV is out as an option due to how they feel when flaring. No wheels at home currently :)

I'd go to the local mobility store and consider buying one. It sounds like this is a permanent need, and the cost might be equivalent. Buying will most likely be in better shape.

Good to know, thank you! An ECV is out as an option due to how they feel when flaring. No wheels at home currently :)
In that case, I would definitely look into one, especially if their medical provider will write a prescription for one, as others have said, the cost will likely be similar to renting and then they have it permanently if they need it again in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter