Wheelchair Rental Question

KSellers88

DIS Veteran
Good afternoon everyone! I am hoping someone can provide some guidance for my mom and I on our upcoming trip. She has a fractured foot and was recently told to be as non-weight bearing as possible. We leave for Disney Thursday and are planning to rent a manual wheelchair to use for our stay (4 nights total).

I am trying to figure out if the best option is to rent a wheelchair from Disney to use at the parks or use one of the rental companies suggested so she will have it to get to and from the bus stops. We park hop quite a bit, so I am worried that picking up a new wheelchair at each park will be quite time consuming. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am so glad I found this board because it has been so helpful in determining how to handle parades and things like that. Thank you all in advance!

I would rent from an off site place, so you have the chair the whole time. Or can you rent one at home and bring it? That way she won't have to walk much through airports and all (I know they have a service, but we always bring our own now for my youngest who can't do all the walking in the parks but looks healthy, he has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and joint pain).

Look at the sticky about companies that deliver to the resort. I wouldn't want to have one only in the parks. Plus, it saves some time.

We rented a couple times from an offsite place, but then just bought one off Amazon for about $150 (and it was literally the same chair that we had been renting).

Don't get a transport chair; they are awkward and not good for the long distances.

Yep. What @happymommy said.

Remember that rental chairs (in general) tend to be heavier, and often have the old style, hard shiny black plastic hand grips. Just in case you get a chair with this old style hand grip, bring along an inexpensive pair of bike gloves or golf gloves - they will save your hands from blisters! Any WalMart or Target should have some.

Renting from off-site means you will have the chair for the long haul to/from the buses, as well as at the Resort; some of the Resorts can be *huge* and there can be a ton of walking just to get to/from your room.

Last but not least, if she needs to keep her foot elevated, make sure that you rent a chair with a leg rest on the appropriate side that can be elevated. (all chairs have foot rests, leg rests are to hold the entire leg/foot up straight in front of the seated occupant)

Have the best trip you possibly can! :)

I think it would be a good idea to buy your own portable, travel lightweight wheelchair. In addition to being a lighter wheelchair you can have it all the time. These wheelchairs fold up and they can fit in cars easily. It might even help right now. I agree you can get one in the $150 range.

If you're flying there the wheelchair will not count against you for luggage.

I would avoid any attractions where your mom has to put any weight on the foot. For example, I would avoid boat rides. Test Track would be difficult, too. Space Mountain is somewhat difficult getting in and out of. Also, I would alternate some shows in the mix to provide a rest for the both of you.

I really would consider changing your park plans to one park per day.

I would rent from an off site place, so you have the chair the whole time. Or can you rent one at home and bring it? That way she won't have to walk much through airports and all (I know they have a service, but we always bring our own now for my youngest who can't do all the walking in the parks but looks healthy, he has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and joint pain).

Look at the sticky about companies that deliver to the resort. I wouldn't want to have one only in the parks. Plus, it saves some time.

We rented a couple times from an offsite place, but then just bought one off Amazon for about $150 (and it was literally the same chair that we had been renting).

Don't get a transport chair; they are awkward and not good for the long distances.

Thank you so much! I am pretty sure that is what we are going to go with. Luckily we are driving down and she has a knee scooter she is currently using at home, but I am worried with the uneven terrain in Disney (specifically AK) that she may take a tumble if she is using it. I'll make sure what we are renting is not a transport chair. I really appreciate your feedback SO much!

Yep. What @happymommy said.

Remember that rental chairs (in general) tend to be heavier, and often have the old style, hard shiny black plastic hand grips. Just in case you get a chair with this old style hand grip, bring along an inexpensive pair of bike gloves or golf gloves - they will save your hands from blisters! Any WalMart or Target should have some.

Renting from off-site means you will have the chair for the long haul to/from the buses, as well as at the Resort; some of the Resorts can be *huge* and there can be a ton of walking just to get to/from your room.

Last but not least, if she needs to keep her foot elevated, make sure that you rent a chair with a leg rest on the appropriate side that can be elevated. (all chairs have foot rests, leg rests are to hold the entire leg/foot up straight in front of the seated occupant)

Have the best trip you possibly can! :)

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback! I'll make sure to grab some of those gloves before we leave Thursday. I do not think she has to keep it elevated, but I will make sure I ask her before I rent anything. She's currently using a knee scooter, so I don't think it has to be elevated, but I'd rather check to be sure. Thank you again! Y'all and this board have been so unbelievably helpful!

I think it would be a good idea to buy your own portable, travel lightweight wheelchair. In addition to being a lighter wheelchair you can have it all the time. These wheelchairs fold up and they can fit in cars easily. It might even help right now. I agree you can get one in the $150 range.

If you're flying there the wheelchair will not count against you for luggage.

I would avoid any attractions where your mom has to put any weight on the foot. For example, I would avoid boat rides. Test Track would be difficult, too. Space Mountain is somewhat difficult getting in and out of. Also, I would alternate some shows in the mix to provide a rest for the both of you.

I really would consider changing your park plans to one park per day.

Thank you! She has a knee scooter that her doctor prescribed her to use, but I'm afraid the terrain would be difficult to navigate. She's also a bit accident prone and I don't want to risk her falling and hurting herself more. Luckily she is allowed to walk some as she also has one of those walking boots, but her doctor wants her off of it as much as possible. Great idea about mixing in the shows! I will be sure we do that so both of us can get a little break.

Currently we only have FastPasses in each park, and no dining reservations at all...so if the park hopping gets to be too much on us that won't be an issue to stick to one park at a time. I appreciate all of your suggestions so much!

I would still consider bringing the knee scooter along if you think she might need it in the room. Since you are driving, you might not have room.

I agree it’s a good idea to rent from off-site. She is likely to be using it at the resort - they are pretty large

Good afternoon everyone! I am hoping someone can provide some guidance for my mom and I on our upcoming trip. She has a fractured foot and was recently told to be as non-weight bearing as possible. We leave for Disney Thursday and are planning to rent a manual wheelchair to use for our stay (4 nights total).

I am trying to figure out if the best option is to rent a wheelchair from Disney to use at the parks or use one of the rental companies suggested so she will have it to get to and from the bus stops. We park hop quite a bit, so I am worried that picking up a new wheelchair at each park will be quite time consuming. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am so glad I found this board because it has been so helpful in determining how to handle parades and things like that. Thank you all in advance!
add me as another who says use off site rental because you can need one to what ever transportation you use not just buses at the end of night. also you could have a walk to your room from where you park or get off transportation. park chairs can not go out gate so you have too walk to bus, boat, monorail, tram or car and this does not include added times for park hopping. plus you would not be able to go in rent a park one and bring it out to mom in morning. plus this doesn't count getting to any resort meals if that is un plans as it can be a walk to these also from your room

Could you tell me which one you bought?

Please be careful if you buy gloves to use wearing gloves have given me and some people I know blister some get them without the gloves. I know for my self I get way to caught up in the I am at Disney to notice small things like a blister starting to happen and went I do it is too late. Also make sure your mom puts sunscreen on the tops of her legs where the sun hits them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter