• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair question

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
We have a wheelchair for my MIL (stroke with right sided paralysis). However, she does not have the legs rest. SIL took them off years ago and now they are gone.

DH and I believe it would benefit her to have them while in the parks so she doesn't have to hold her right leg up with her left leg.

anyways, we are staying at BWV and plan to do MK and Epcot. Can we take her wheelchair to the parks and have them hold it and use one of theirs while in the parks? If not, does anyone have any suggestions? We haven't looked at buying legs rests yet so I do know that is an option.

thanks..........

I'd probably look into buying new footrests.
Depending on whether this is a "plain vanilla" wheelchair (one without a lot of options), you might just be beter off buying a new wheelchair. Parts for wheelchairs are sort of like car parts - if you buy each piece separately, you could buy 2 or 3 for the price of the parts.
Also, what resort are you staying at?
If it is one of the WDW resorts, you would probably be able to get a wheelchair lent to you for your entire stay. They can't be reserved ahead of time and there is no guarantee that one will be available. Since she has a wheelchair, (but it has some problems), if you have to wait a day or 2 for them to obtain a wheelchair, you would at least have one to use in the meantime.

Thanks Sue. WE are staying at BWV and I will inquire when we check in That would be great if we could borrow one for our stay that has leg rests since she does not use the leg rests at home.................

rbuzzotta said:
Thanks Sue. WE are staying at BWV and I will inquire when we check in That would be great if we could borrow one for our stay that has leg rests since she does not use the leg rests at home.................
Hope it works out. It shouldn't be a problem.
I know of a lot of people who don't use the footrests because by having them off, they can "walk" their wheelchair around instead of using their arms.

Thanks again Sue. That is exactly how my MIL uses her wheelchair!!!

This forum has been of great help to me travelling with MIL to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter