Wheelchair due to Surgery

TYGGERJ

Earning My Ears
We have been planning a week at disney for a few months now. In December, I had to have surgery on my foot to insert 3 screws and a plate. It will be 10 weeks since the surgery when we go next week and I am still not allowed to put any weight on the foot. I do have a transportation wheel chair that I have been using around the house that we will be bringing with us. Because I can not put any weight on the foot. I will need to be wheeled right up to the ride and hop on. Ive gotten very good at hopping. My question is do I need to go to guest services on our first day or do I just talk to the people outside the rides and tell them? Thanks traveling with a wheelchair is all new to me.

If you are in a wheelchair or ECV and the only accommodation you need is the ability to access the ride, you don't need to get a GAC (Guest Assistance Card). Those are for less obvious disabilities or accomodations. The wheelchair itself serves as your GAC, in a sense.

The CMs will see that you have a wheelchair and allow you to bring it into line. In most cases, you will be able to bring the wheelchair as close to the ride car as you need. In my youngest DD’s case, she can’t walk at all, so we often bring her wheelchair so it is almost touching the ride car.

For most attractions, the regular line is wheelchair accessible and you will just be waiting in the regular line with the wheelchair. THere are some situations where the regular boarding area is not accessible - in those cases, there will be a place to bypass the part of the line or the boarding area that is not accessible.
There is more information about accessibility in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board (or you can get there by clicking the link in my signature).

When you enter the park, you can get a special map for guests with disabilities that lists the entrance for each attraction (in most cases, it just says “enter throughout the standard line”). If you are staying at a WDW resort, you might be able to get copies from the Concierge or where you can buy tickets at your resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter