• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair bound sunburn etc

razster

Proud Owner @ AKV - 16yr DIS Veteran
Hi All, this will (hopefully, if my health allows) be our first trip back to the US and Disney since my illness and am now in a power chair and not able to mobilise, it’s going to be so very different for us all.

Being in the power chair all day I am wondering about the realities of the sun etc. I catch the sun terribly easily, it’s my west coast of Ireland Celtic skin that just isn’t built for the sun.

Is it practical in your opinions to wear shorts and lots of sunscreen or should I be looking at some kind of loose light trousers and long sleeved shirts? I am concerned about the heat of not wearing short sleeves and shorts but if I’m not burning maybe the longer clothes would be cooler overall? Any views welcome.

Any other tips/heads up for a first time chair user for the parks would be most welcome too. I will need to use my chair everywhere up to attractions, dining etc and can only direct transfer seat to seat with my wife’s help.

You haven't stated the time of year that you will come and that can make a difference. If you are here in the winter months then trousers and long sleeve shirts and a good hat could work just fine. Then, add suncreen to your hands, neck and face.

Your best answer is to get a canopy for your chair. There may be one you can buy and attach; check the company where you bought your chair. You could probably get one made if you had to do it. You could probably make something homemade yourself using black garbage bags and duct tape or whatever. There are scooter and chair rental companies in the U. S. that will have canopies to attach for an extra fee to their rental power vehicles.

There are plenty of attractions that are inside including ride queues; so, you are protected to a degree that way. You can eat at places that are inside, too.

Thanks Bete we will be there (🙏) in the height of summer so intense sunshine (and rain) the canopy is an interesting idea I will have to look into that.

My youngest DD uses a manual wheelchair and has been coming to WDW with it for many years. She can’t walk or stand and uses her wheelchair all the way to boarding on attractions. I or my DH needs to lift her in and out when transfers are required.
She also has a power chair, but we have not traveled to WDW with it.

We’ve tried various ways to rig up a sunshade, but felt they were a lot more trouble than they were worth and brimmed hats, sunscreen and lightweight clothing worked better.
In our experience and watching people in the parks, the shades only really help when the sun is straight overhead.

If you wear shorts, sunscreen is really important - especially the area from the bottom of the shorts to just below the knees. The thighs get burned easily because they are flat to the sun while seated in the wheelchair. You might also want to look into sun protective clothing. There is a lot more available than there was years ago and a lot of it is very lightweight- so made for warm climate. Here are links to a couple of companies (US - not sure where they all ship)
Coolibar

Solbari

Solumbra

I use an ECV at the parks and take a medicine that can result in severe sunburn with minimal sun exposure. I don't use a sun shade because those things seems super unwieldy...but if you find a cheap one that you can try out then perhaps. I agree with Sue that the sun easily gets around the sun shades.

There's a brand of clothing called Coolibar (they have a website if you google) and I use that type of clothing or something like it. They make long sleeve shirts meant for the hottest days that provide almost complete sun protection (I still use suntan lotion). Definitely wear a good hat with a brim that helps cover your face. Also be mindful of the color and get light colors. That company also sells gloves and sleeves which you could use with a short sleeve shirt - but be mindful of your hands getting sun. I usually wear a regular t-shirt and put one of their long sleeve shirts over it and reapply sunblock on my hands often. You can remove the long sleeves if you are in a indoor line or show or eating, if you're hot so it's nice to have a regular shirt underneath.

I also suggest planning your day to hit attractions with indoor waiting areas as much as you can. Disney does a fairly good job of covering the lines for shade.

I use an ECV at the parks and take a medicine that can result in severe sunburn with minimal sun exposure. I don't use a sun shade because those things seems super unwieldy...but if you find a cheap one that you can try out then perhaps. I agree with Sue that the sun easily gets around the sun shades.

There's a brand of clothing called Coolibar (they have a website if you google) and I use that type of clothing or something like it. They make long sleeve shirts meant for the hottest days that provide almost complete sun protection (I still use suntan lotion). Definitely wear a good hat with a brim that helps cover your face. Also be mindful of the color and get light colors. That company also sells gloves and sleeves which you could use with a short sleeve shirt - but be mindful of your hands getting sun. I usually wear a regular t-shirt and put one of their long sleeve shirts over it and reapply sunblock on my hands often. You can remove the long sleeves if you are in a indoor line or show or eating, if you're hot so it's nice to have a regular shirt underneath.

I also suggest planning your day to hit attractions with indoor waiting areas as much as you can. Disney does a fairly good job of covering the lines for shade.

I posted a link to Coolibar, Solbari and Solumbra websites above

In the past, we've done early mornings and evenings in the parks, with a break late morning through lunch back at the resort. I've had melanoma (twice) and fighting some squamous cell issues right now, and that has worked for me - and using a really strong sunblock, reapplied every hour.

In the past, we've done early mornings and evenings in the parks, with a break late morning through lunch back at the resort. I've had melanoma (twice) and fighting some squamous cell issues right now, and that has worked for me - and using a really strong sunblock, reapplied every hour.

Keep fighting, my friend!

Hi All, this will (hopefully, if my health allows) be our first trip back to the US and Disney since my illness and am now in a power chair and not able to mobilise, it’s going to be so very different for us all.

Being in the power chair all day I am wondering about the realities of the sun etc. I catch the sun terribly easily, it’s my west coast of Ireland Celtic skin that just isn’t built for the sun.

Is it practical in your opinions to wear shorts and lots of sunscreen or should I be looking at some kind of loose light trousers and long sleeved shirts? I am concerned about the heat of not wearing short sleeves and shorts but if I’m not burning maybe the longer clothes would be cooler overall? Any views welcome.

Any other tips/heads up for a first time chair user for the parks would be most welcome too. I will need to use my chair everywhere up to attractions, dining etc and can only direct transfer seat to seat with my wife’s help.
While we are not native Irish, my mom is 1st generation (our family comes from Co Kerry), so we know the struggle of the sun! My mom has a sun allergy, so she gets ill and terrible rashes if she's exposed. Like Selket above, she has found what works for her is loose, light long sleeve shirts and pants or capris that have UV protection in the fabric, along with a big hat, sunscreen that protects from UVA and UVB, sometimes a cooling vest and plenty of cooling towels. Good luck, I hope it's a great trip :)

Bless you all and thank you ever so much for all this helpful info and your tips. I will take heed of all of them! Hoping for a great stay - a whole month of Disney world, 18 nights boardwalk and 12 nights poly. Trip of a lifetime - but after all that the kids and my wife have been through with my illness I can’t wait to be making happy memories again! Thanks for helping me do this 🙏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter