• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair assistance at airport?

SarahInMN

Drink your wine with a cheerful heart
Hey all-
This seems like a basic question but I don’t want to mess it up. My in laws are going with us to WDW for the first time in 2 years - my FIL was too anxious to fly with his Parkinson’s but wants to try. I do not want to mess the wheel chair thing up because it will make him super anxious. Or more anxious than baseline.

He will get an ECV for WDW (he has done so on prior trips) but for the first time wants wheelchair assistance (mobility only) at the airports. We are flying home-ATL-MCO. He doesn’t want assistance at home (small and familiar to him) but does want help in ATL for connection and MCO to baggage claim/town car pick up. Delta wants us to select request by flight segment. Do I pick home-ATL even though he only needs help in ATL? Or if I pick ATL-MCO will they meet us when we land in ATL or just when we land at MCO?

I have a tweet out to delta assist but thought this might be faster.

Thanks in advance!!

I would say, but don't know for sure, ATL-MCO. That would indicate to me those are the airports where he will need assistance.
Thanks - we ended up requesting it on all segments to ensure we are met in ATL. If we hear differently from delta's twitter account we can change it. He's especially nervous about transiting ATL so I did not want to mess that up!!!

FYI - in case anyone else needs to know, Delta says to request it on both segments to ensure that there is a wheelchair meeting us when we land from home->ATL.

It will be funny if your ATL hates end up being next to each other

Ive definitely had that happen as well as it being the same gate/plane. My in laws would love that to be the case!

FYI - in case anyone else needs to know, Delta says to request it on both segments to ensure that there is a wheelchair meeting us when we land from home->ATL.

Ive definitely had that happen as well as it being the same gate/plane. My in laws would love that to be the case!
it has been years but even then you had to use at home airport to be sure of it being there at ALT when my dad needed

Hey all-
This seems like a basic question but I don’t want to mess it up. My in laws are going with us to WDW for the first time in 2 years - my FIL was too anxious to fly with his Parkinson’s but wants to try. I do not want to mess the wheel chair thing up because it will make him super anxious. Or more anxious than baseline.

He will get an ECV for WDW (he has done so on prior trips) but for the first time wants wheelchair assistance (mobility only) at the airports. We are flying home-ATL-MCO. He doesn’t want assistance at home (small and familiar to him) but does want help in ATL for connection and MCO to baggage claim/town car pick up. Delta wants us to select request by flight segment. Do I pick home-ATL even though he only needs help in ATL? Or if I pick ATL-MCO will they meet us when we land in ATL or just when we land at MCO?

I have a tweet out to delta assist but thought this might be faster.

Thanks in advance!!

Remember that if you all have access to a wheelchair that you can take with you... it will fly for free in the hold of the plane(s) as medical equipment - then FIL doesn't have to worry, because he will use the chair he brings at each airport! You can just leave it folded up in the hotel room while you are at WDW and he is using the ECV.

Besides borrowing from a friend, sometimes churches, local Masonic (or other fraternal) Lodges or other community groups may have a "lending closet" that you could ask.

Just a thought - I understand his anxiety, because when you *know* that's a requirement for you to be able to deal with large busy airports, you don't want to leave that to chance.

Reactions: CJN

I've travelled the last several years with Delta, using wheelchair assist. Going all the way from home to Mco, you will have no problems. The wheelchair assist, will take you to the,Magical Express location.

The Magical Express order at time of making reservation a wheelchair lift. The person can ride in the "bus" wheelchair and be "tied down".

You will probably (I have for 8years) run into problems when trying to get to M CO back to home airport. When you arrive at airport (Magical Express), Delta has no way of knowing you are at airptort. Magical Express drivers do not contact the airlines.

We waited and waited for assistance it was very stressful. Last year I purchased a cheap $100 wheelchair to use through the airport and Magical Express. I still had wheelchair assist, but I was not left stranded at the airport (by Magical Express) or Delta.

If your father in law, has difficulty standing or sitting - I would recommend just buying an inexpensive wheelchair (I got mine at Walmart).

If you could it someone from your party could wheel him up the elevator to level 2 at the airport, you will meet up with wheelchair assistance.

They will even take you thru securiry, restrooms, snacks and to hate area. If he needs assistance to his seat the airline offers an "aisle chair", so he doestnt have to walk to his seat on plane.

The person can ride in the "bus" wheelchair and be "tied down".

i do not have personal experience with this, but previous reports on this board make me think this is not a sure thing. Not all lift equipped coaches may have a wheelchair on board. I would not count on one being provided.

Thanks - we ended up requesting it on all segments to ensure we are met in ATL. If we hear differently from delta's twitter account we can change it. He's especially nervous about transiting ATL so I did not want to mess that up!!!
Yeah, you can’t always know about those gates 😄
We’ve always requested wheelchair assistance but found it very easy to decline the assistance if there was a particular leg where it’s not needed. In those circumstances, if a person was already there with a wheelchair waiting for us we said thanks but no thanks, tipped them anyway and would be on our way.

What we’ve seen lately, though, (and we fly mostly Alaska or Delta) is they direct those needing assistance to little waiting areas near the main ticket counter and at the gates. If we don’t need assistance on that particular leg we simply don’t go to that waiting area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter