wheel chair seating at movie theaters ?

luvyawdw

Mouseketeer
Ok. I need some help with this one. I thought someone here would know how to handle this.
We went to the movies yesterday with our daughter who is 13 and in a wheelchair. We got there on time/ before movie started. Every wheelchair seat/companion seat was taken by families with no wheelchairs. What i mean is that the theater has built very nice stadium seating and includes a row of wheelchair assesible seating with companion seating, however, all the wheelchair spots were empty, but all the companion seats were taken with small children and or other non wheelchair users. Not one wheelchair in the house, but nowhere for our daughter to sit unless we parked her next to a total stranger and sat a few rows up. We had to leave. No one would move. They all sat there and ignored us, one person was asked to move and said, I am sitting here because I have a bad knee. The manager asked them to move anyway, but by then it was 15 min into the movie. ( It took a bit to get a manager to help us) and our daughter was upset that the movie had already started and no one was offering to move. She wanted to leave, she was embarrased. We left and went to a different movie theater. Needless to say, we were all upset. It says alot about our society. There were other seats available,it was not sold out at all. Still, no one would move. What do you all do if this happens? Have you experienced this before. This was a large Cinemark. I would just like to know what to do next time.
Very sincerely,
Lisa

Welllllll, it takes guts, but you could say very loudly to the group in front

"My daughter is not able to sit in a regular seat. If someone who is able to sit in a regular seat can move, we would really appreciate it"

Sometimes shame can work wonders, but you've got to be willing to put yourself out front and not be quiet about it.

I've done similar things a very few times, and it's worked. Then again, sometimes the discomfort of feeling those 'daggers' from displaced rude jerky folks now sitting behind can keep us from enjoying the event.

All in all, probably more relaxing solution to go elsewhere.

You can help your daughter feel a little better about it by helping her write a letter of complaint to the management of the movie theater. Even though it won't help what happened, it may help what will happen in the future to her or others in the same boat.

I thought this only happens to us. I have 2 daughters in wheelchairs so it is twice as hard.

I have asked people to move and after complaining they did and then still complained all during the show.

I hate going to the show and now we try to get there so early that we are usually the first in but I still hate it.

I hate to say it but seating at the theaters is first come first served. Yea it sucks big time to be split up but sometimes it happens. My daughter hates that I get there 20-30 minutes before the movie starts but I do it to make sure we can sit together in the limited seating for wheelchair user groups.

You can't force someone to be polite. :mad: So sometimes you just have to live with it.

Happens to us too.
It makes us hate to go to the movies because we never know what we will find and if we will need to 'fight' for a seat, even if we arrive early. The last movie I went to without DD, I noticed that the whole row with the wheelchair seats at the ends of the row was almost full. Even though the theater was less than 1/3 full. The 'problem' with that row is that it has things other people like - there is more leg room and you can usually get out without having to really squeeze past anyone.
I agree with pfalcioni that about the only thing you can do is be really vocal. You may need to 'shame' people into moving and it's sometimes not easy. We have sometimes had people refuse to move over and have had to get an usher involved.
I think a letter of complaint is a good idea. We have done that in the past, adding a suggestion that they mark the floor in the wheelchair spot with a wheelchair symbol and also mark the companion seats with a message that people sitting in those seats may be asked to move if the seat is needed by someone with a wheelchair.
The end result was a phone call from the theater manager, saying they would 'consider' marking the seats. He also suggested we get an usher right away if we come into the theater and see those seats full. I have noticed at that theater, they have started having an usher in the theater for the last few minutes before the show begins. I think that was a result of my letter.
I think if everyone wrote letters when that happens, the theaters would have to do something about it. The next time it happens to us, I plan to make an official complaint to the Department of Justice - no more fooling around for me.

Also, I am going to move this thread to the disABILITIES Community Board since it's more general interest than WDW.

The seats in our movie theater(AMC) are marked but I can't not remember what it says. I think it has the wheelchair symbol on it. I always sit in that row with my ds due to his vision problems, we need to be close but if someone came up in a wheelchair we would gladly move and give them room. That is just rude and I'm finding way too many rude self centered people lately.

this just reminded me of our last WDW trip. I took ds(in wheelchair) to the little mermaid show at MGM and all the handicapped/companion seats were full of able bodied people and no wheelchairs or ECVs. . Instead of the CM making someone move he took us all the way down to the end where there was one chair. To get down there in the wheelchair I had to run over lots of feet with the wheelchair. I head a lot of ouch! and people jumping up in the seat. I'm sure the CM had a grin the whole time.

Generally, when I'm in a theater, I like to sit down in those seats reserved for the compainions, but if I saw somebody in a wheelchair and their parent/child/friend/etc come in, then I would gladly and willingly get up and move to a different seat, without being asked. I sit there because I don't like climbing stairs. I have a bad knee and I like the view from there... But I can walk up the stairs, and as long as I can see above the tall people I'm okay with seeing the screen from else where.

If I was in that situation I would be very vocal as well. I would say something like, "My friend/child/parent/etc. is unable to walk up the stairs, they're in a wheelchair... if somebody could please move, as there are many other seats for those of you who are able bodied, that would be much appreciated." Then I'd stare them all down, giving them the evil eye until they moved.

I'm sitting here talking to my mom about this and she says that she would stand in front of the able bodied people until they moved. My mom was in a full theatre recently and she had to sit down close, in front of the wheelchair seating, which she hates to do because she wears glasses and in the past the picture was fuzzy and uncomfortable to watch, but this recent time she had to sit down front, she found that it was no longer fuzzy and uncomfortable. The type or quality of film used must have changed or was digital. If people knew the picture was now better down past the wheelchair seating, maybe people would start sitting there.

Sometimes, if people are being inconsiderate and rude, you've just gotta stand your ground and not be afraid to demand your rights (or your daughter's rights). It does take guts and confidence. One thing that you do have to remember though is that some people do have invisible disabilities, like the person with a bad knee. Maybe they couldn't bend it very well... Although I'm sure there was somebody able bodied sitting in the compainion seats who could've moved.

I know that the couple of places we go the signs on the companion seats says " the seat reserved for parties of wheelchair patrons". And when we have showed up and they are taken most people will move for us. But I have had to be "vocal" in the past to.

At most of the newer theaters, companion seating is marked and there's a note that they are reserved for someone accompanying a person in a w/c. The problem with someone feeling it's okay to sit there but they'll move is that someone in a w/c doesn't know that and they figure there will be a confrontation. There are usually other seats in the same area for guests with disabilities but if not, of course someone who cannot walk up stairs should use them. I'm in agreement with getting a manager as they HAVE to enforce disability law and it's easier to have a manager broach the subject with the people who are taking the companion seats. As to the OP's daughter, I'd write in to the local newspaper, letter to the editor, etc. plus the local theater management and national theater management. Unfortunately in this day and age we have to be activists and speak up for ourselves ( for those who are able ) which is really difficult for a teen who is just wanting to "lay low" and fit in. What a shame for those people who wouldn't move. I'm furious just thinking about it.---Kathy

I know that the couple of places we go the signs on the companion seats says " the seat reserved for parties of wheelchair patrons". And when we have showed up and they are taken most people will move for us. But I have had to be "vocal" in the past to.
That's the fairest way - the signs should be prominent so that people choosing to sit there know they may have to move.
Theaters are required by the ADA to provide a certain number of wheelchair spots (based on the total number of seats in the theater) and at least one companion seat to go along with each wheelchair seat.
The problem with someone feeling it's okay to sit there but they'll move is that someone in a w/c doesn't know that and they figure there will be a confrontation. There are usually other seats in the same area for guests with disabilities but if not, of course someone who cannot walk up stairs should use them. I'm in agreement with getting a manager as they HAVE to enforce disability law and it's easier to have a manager broach the subject with the people who are taking the companion seats.
I know that's what we figure if we see someone sitting in those seats.
When we talked to the manager at the theater where we had a problem, he said we should just go and get a manager if there are no spots available. They will make the person in the Companion Spot move. He also said that if someone refused to move, the movie would not start and that if anyone complained during the movie, that patron would be asked to move and/or possibly leave the theater if they are disruptive.
Just to note - that applies to the wheelchair accessible spot and one companion seat. If we arrived with 4 guests, we would not necessarily all be able to sit together. (Although, the manager said that his interpretation of 'equal access' meant that if we arrived at a time when there were still many seats of 4 together in the theater, he would ask other people seated in that area to move so that our party to sit together. If other people have the choice of sitting together when we arrived, it is NOT equal access for us not to have that same choice just because we travel with someone whose wheelchair can't climb stairs.)

Maybe not in all theaters, but in all I have been in, there are other seats in the same area that you don't need to go up steps for. If it is important for you not to move and/or to be in a specific area, it's best to not sit in the seat right next to the wheelchair spot. That is the companion seat and 'goes' with the wheelchair spot. You can be asked to move if someone with a wheelchair needs that seat for their companion. Seats farther along in that same row are not part of the 'protection' for the companion spot.

The ADA requirement for wheelchair spots in theaters came before stadium style seating was common. When theaters began installing stadium seating, they often placed the wheelchair spots at the very front of the theater, only feet away from the screen. Those are the places no one chose to sit because they were too close and you often have to sit in an uncomfortable position in order to view the screen.
There have been lawsuits related to stadium seating because those seats are not comparable to the seats available to other theatergoers. The ruling held was ruled that providing wheelchair seats only in those spots is NOT equal access. The settlements required some wheelchair seating to be available in sight lines/positions that are comparable to the better seats in the general seating area.

I'm so sorry you had such a rough time of it! :hug: I've encountered my fair share of jerks since getting my chair, but don't usually have problems at the cinema. This is because most of the wheelchair seating in one of the local cinemas is only a few yards (not exaggerating) from the screen and anyone sitting there (disabilities or not) gets a sore neck after about ten minutes. Yup, great way to solve that problem, guys :rolleyes: (please note the subtle hints of sarcasm)!

Unfortunately, the only way to get things to change is to stick your neck out and speak up. I can understand completely if your daughter doesn't want to do this, as it can be quite embarrassing. If your daughter would be up for it, you could play the 'I'd happily swap' card ("you can take my seat as long as you take my disability too" type of thing). Alternatively, as others have said, try to arrive early and if there are any problems, get a manager.

Writing a letter to the cinema could also help. Make sure you mention their legal obligation in the letter, as this will scare the pants off them. Not enforcing the wheelchair seating areas is just as bad as not having them and, to my mind, any cinema that does not have available wheelchair and companion seating (unless it's filled with actual wheelchair users) is not accessible.

Good luck! :thumbsup2

Teenagers can get embarrassed easy so you need to work with her and teach her how to fight for her rights. Being handicapped is like being Gay, Hispanic, Jewish or African American in that sometimes you got to shut up and say nothing and other times you got to fight. Some people are born fighters and others have to learn to fight for their rights and to be treated fairly.

I would have called the usher or manager if none was present and explained the problem. If the other people did not immediately move then that is disobeying the theater employee and grounds for expulsion from the the theater. If the person had been smoking or damaging property then they would have been immediately removed but in this case the manager was slow to make rule breakers to move.

I would also write the theatre and explain the problems. I find the major problem is the need for educating people. People often do not understand that what they are doing is hurtful, rude or wrong. I see people making Gay jokes and using Gay instead of the word inferior, for example, but when you explain they usually understand and stop. People need to learn and for most people that works but some just do not learn.

Thank you all for writing. Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated by our family. Also, I wanted to respond to Sue, after I read your second post I did some googleing and did find alot of the information you were referring to. There has been some major lawsuits and problems with this issue and similar issues in theaters. Wow, I had really never explored it before. I am usually wraped up in school IEP issues and health insurance stuff that I never really came across this before. Beth just started using her wheelchair about 2 years ago and 6 months of that was in the hospital so we did not have much oppurtunity to go to the movies. Now, she is doing well and still recovering from her surgery. She can not walk or stand at all right now. She has another surgery in the end of January, so the wheel chair looks like it may be in her life a bit longer and she will likely use a scooter or manual chair when we go out for long days (shopping, movies, stuff like that) possibly indefinatley, but I hope and pray she will not need too. I really am thankful to all that reply about issues like this. Beth has been physically impaired since she was about 17 months, but we did not use a wheelchair, so it is a new world ( and how to acess it!)
People who have been using wheelchairs longer have alot of wisdom in this area. You all are right, I need to speak up. Sometimes in the past when I have done so diplomatically, I have embarrased her. So I back down sometimes, I am learning when and when not to do that. Anyway, I will never let that happen to her again. I want to set an example for her to know her rights and how to confidently and respectfully stand up for herself.
Again, Thanks to all of you.
Sincerley,
Lisa and
Family

My youngest DD has been a full time wheelchair user since she was not quite 3 . She's 22 now, so I have had lots of practice at this. I'm also a nurse in a rehab hospital and was a public health nurse, so I have a little more awareness/exposure to some things than most people.

Dan and I were faced with this problem once before too. But, one of the theater attendants came in with us, and politely asked the person sitting in the companion seat to move, so that Dan could sit with me. That person got up without complaint and moved to a different seat. It was when they were showing one of the new Harry Potter movies, so the theater was extremely packed. The person that moved for us, was able to grab the last seat in the theater.

Other times, we haven't had a problem with wheelchair seating in a movie theater.

Samantha

If a theatre often has this problem, one thing you could do, as well as letter writing etc., is to ask the usher to show you to the wheelchair seating. That way it doesn't look or feel like you're getting in 'the heavies' :laughing:, just being shown where your seating is. If they're worth their weight in salt, they should move anyone who's in the area.

I think most people who sit in the wheelchair seating do so accidentally. They're not always that clearly marked, and it's hard to see much at all when the lights are dimmed. For these people, a brief and polite explanation will get them moving; then it's just the jerks we have to deal with :rolleyes:. I do wish theatres would just rope this area off, the way Disney does in a lot of its shows, then open it up in the last few minutes if the space is needed, and there are no more wheelchair users coming in.

If a theatre often has this problem, one thing you could do, as well as letter writing etc., is to ask the usher to show you to the wheelchair seating. That way it doesn't look or feel like you're getting in 'the heavies' :laughing:, just being shown where your seating is. If they're worth their weight in salt, they should move anyone who's in the area.

I think most people who sit in the wheelchair seating do so accidentally. They're not always that clearly marked, and it's hard to see much at all when the lights are dimmed. For these people, a brief and polite explanation will get them moving; then it's just the jerks we have to deal with :rolleyes:. I do wish theatres would just rope this area off, the way Disney does in a lot of its shows, then open it up in the last few minutes if the space is needed, and there are no more wheelchair users coming in.
Good suggestion to ask to be shown to the wheelchair area.

we, unfortunately, have run into more jerks than polite people.

I DO think though that even the jerks would be nicer if the seats were well marked. Signs like they have on the WDW buses would do very nicely. They could get labels that would be attached to the armrest or even printed cloth labels that would be glued onto the seatback. I don't think it's fair to anyone not to mark them. Not to the people in wheelchairs who need the seats or the people who sit in them and might have to move.

I DO think though that even the jerks would be nicer if the seats were well marked. Signs like they have on the WDW buses would do very nicely. They could get labels that would be attached to the armrest or even printed cloth labels that would be glued onto the seatback. I don't think it's fair to anyone not to mark them. Not to the people in wheelchairs who need the seats or the people who sit in them and might have to move.

Maybe we could offer to 'help' them! Print off our own labels and attack every wheelchair / companion seat in the area! :rotfl: I'm often tempted to do this on trains, to try and stop people dumping their luggage in the wheelchair space. :mad:

Maybe we could offer to 'help' them! Print off our own labels and attack every wheelchair / companion seat in the area! :rotfl: I'm often tempted to do this on trains, to try and stop people dumping their luggage in the wheelchair space. :mad:
LOL
With my luck, I'd get arrested for defacing private property!:eek:

You have my sympathy. Ds12 uses his w/c when we go to the movies. We have encountered the same thing and it embarrasses my non-disabled 14yo DD terribly. I think you handled it as best you could. I don't think it's worth it to get the seat if your child is feeling humiliated over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter